Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink for diode and driver?

Whats the price range since im not planning on spending anything more than 25 USD

You should have kept this to one thread.

You need to spend more than that, just the parts for this laser will cost a minimum of $140 or more. You also need a lens since the module you link to doesn't come with one, only the free acrylic that you can't use with that laser. You will also need batteries and a charger and safety glasses if you don't have them, a minimum of another $50 or more.

Alan

Pluxx

You should have kept this to one thread.

You need to spend more than that, just the parts for this laser will cost a minimum of $140 or more. You also need a lens since the module you link to doesn't come with one, only the free acrylic that you can't use with that laser. You will also need batteries and a charger and safety glasses if you don't have them, a minimum of another $50 or more.

Alan
I already bought the lens and bought 3 pairs of portection glasses the only thing im missing is lithium batteries and a host :/

Oh and will this host be enough to fit it all together? http://www.survivallaser.com/DIY_C6_Host_Assembly/p556088_5715278.aspx

And what are the extra processes of assembling it do or do i need to solder a spring to the end of the driver in order for it to make contact with the battery. Also how will the driver stay in place and not woggle arround the host and get damaged from the batteries?

P.S I'm really new to this stuff and 50% of the time don't know what to do but i really want to make a laser and try to learn all that i could so dont judge me :) .

Last edited:
I already bought the lens and bought 3 pairs of portection glasses the only thing im missing is lithium batteries and a host :/

Oh and will this host be enough to fit it all together? DIY C6 Host Assembly

And what are the extra processes of assembling it do or do i need to solder a spring to the end of the driver in order for it to make contact with the battery. Also how will the driver stay in place and not woggle arround the host and get damaged from the batteries?

P.S I'm really new to this stuff and 50% of the time don't know what to do but i really want to make a laser and try to learn all that i could so dont judge me :) .

You will also need a charger for the batteries, be sure to charge them before using, Li-ion normally ship uncharged.

Yes that host is perfect, I have one myself, but you will have a short duty cycle. Spend the extra dollar for the drilled pill and forget the x-drive, use this instead:
Survival Laser Driver
Set to either 1.5A or 1.8A.

An alternative would be to solder the x-drive directly to the diode pins and forget heat sinking it, the drilled pill would be required or it wouldn't fit, you would also need a battery contact board:
Survival Laser Driver

The first option with the round driver is a better idea.

Alan

Pluxx

You will also need a charger for the batteries, be sure to charge them before using, Li-ion normally ship uncharged.

Yes that host is perfect, I have one myself, but you will have a short duty cycle. Spend the extra dollar for the drilled pill and forget the x-drive, use this instead:
Survival Laser Driver
Set to either 1.5A or 1.8A.

An alternative would be to solder the x-drive directly to the diode pins and forget heat sinking it, the drilled pill would be required or it wouldn't fit, you would also need a battery contact board:
Survival Laser Driver

The first option with the round driver is a better idea.

Alan

If i set the current on the driver u suggested to 1.5A will i not need a heatsink? And also is it compatible with the diode i bought? Also will the diode be weaker with 1.5A or will it stay the same 1.8W?

Oh and will i need to buy this as well or it comes with the host? : http://www.survivallaser.com/Drilled_Driver_Pill___Brass_Ring/p556088_7962754.aspx

Cant i just attach a driver pill assembly to cool the driver?

And is this host also compatible with the driver? and will it be able to withstand the heat and cool it properly? : http://www.survivallaser.com/Survival_Laser_C6_Host_Assembly/p556088_7738422.aspx

Last edited:
If i set the current on the driver u suggested to 1.5A will i not need a heatsink? And also is it compatible with the diode i bought? Also will the diode be weaker with 1.5A or will it stay the same 1.8W?

Oh and will i need to buy this as well or it comes with the host? : Drilled Driver Pill & Brass Ring

Look again at your link to the C6 host, it comes with a pill the option for what pill is right there in front of your face, there is $1 difference in price.

Those drivers don't need heat sinking. Mine is 1.5A and does 1.5W with a 3 element lens, each diode will vary some, 1.8A will give a little more power and shorter duty cycle. The C6 is a very small host. You may also have short battery life if you buy cheap batteries, use two 16340's, or you can buy the battery extension tube and use two 18650's.

You will need a heat sink for that host for the diode module, one doesn't come with the host, any of these will work:
Heat Sinks
The copper ones are a little better but not required.

Alan

Pluxx

Look again at your link to the C6 host, it comes with a pill the option for what pill is right there in front of your face, there is $1 difference in price.

Those drivers don't need heat sinking. Mine is 1.5A and does 1.5W with a 3 element lens, each diode will vary some, 1.8A will give a little more power and shorter duty cycle. The C6 is a very small host. You may also have short battery life if you buy cheap batteries, use two 16340's, or you can buy the battery extension tube and use two 18650's.

You will need a heat sink for that host for the diode module, one doesn't come with the host, any of these will work:
Heat Sinks
The copper ones are a little better but not required.

Alan

So the diode will still work with the 1.5A module? And i see that the C6 comes with the driver capsule but the S4 doesn't (or is it the thin black circle?) Also if you want add me on skype if you can since its faster for communication

Also, im thinking of making a modification and adding thermal paste (The thing u use on CPU coolers) so it transfers heat better. Will this help and will it damage the diode?

NAME: zepelin469

Last edited:
So the diode will still work with the 1.5A module? And i see that the C6 comes with the driver capsule but the S4 doesn't (or is it the thin black circle?) Also if you want add me on skype if you can since its faster for communication

Also, im thinking of making a modification and adding thermal paste (The thing u use on CPU coolers) so it transfers heat better. Will this help and will it damage the diode?

NAME: zepelin469

Yes it works great at 1.5A. I assume you mean the pill and brass ring, yes that's correct you have to buy it separate with the S4. I don't use Skype.

Something like this stuff: Céramique 2 Thermal Compound 2.7 grams
yes go ahead and use it, but don't use thermal adhesive/epoxy such as this stuff: Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive 5 grams
Just so you can take it apart again if you ever need to.

Alan

Pluxx

Yes it works great at 1.5A. I assume you mean the pill and brass ring, yes that's correct you have to buy it separate with the S4. I don't use Skype.

Something like this stuff: Céramique 2 Thermal Compound 2.7 grams
yes go ahead and use it, but don't use thermal adhesive/epoxy such as this stuff: Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive 5 grams
Just so you can take it apart again if you ever need to.

Alan

Thanks a lot for the help. Just to make everything clear i can use the 1.8W M140 diode with the 1.5A driver without heatsinks and it will work. and will all of this fit into the C6 or should i go for the S4. Sry for repetition i really dont want to mess things up since im working with a vary limited budget and want to make sure i dont buy something i dont want like before xP

Thanks a lot for the help. Just to make everything clear i can use the 1.8W M140 diode with the 1.5A driver without heatsinks and it will work. and will all of this fit into the C6 or should i go for the S4. Sry for repetition i really dont want to mess things up since im working with a vary limited budget and want to make sure i dont buy something i dont want like before xP

Those drivers don't need heat sinking, you just need the heat sink for your diode module. It will fit in a C6, the S4 is the same size. I have an M140 in a C6 with the same 1.5A driver except I used the preassembled pill and driver and it wasn't drilled and there almost wasn't room for my wires. I later built another laser in their stainless steel host and used a drilled pill and there was enough room even with the extended heat sink, that one has a 2.2A driver and its not heat sinked either. Those round drivers Survival Laser sells are very efficient.

There are some videos on YouTube that you should watch on assembling a laser. Here is one:

Just do a search for "build a blue laser" also look at some build threads here, you can start with mine, see the white links in my signature. They are intended to show people the easiest ways to assemble a laser where the hard parts are already done for you. I'll post another one soon.

Alan

Pluxx

those drivers don't need heat sinking, you just need the heat sink for your diode module. It will fit in a c6, the s4 is the same size. I have an m140 in a c6 with the same 1.5a driver except i used the preassembled pill and driver and it wasn't drilled and there almost wasn't room for my wires. I later built another laser in their stainless steel host and used a drilled pill and there was enough room even with the extended heat sink, that one has a 2.2a driver and its not heat sinked either. Those round drivers survival laser sells are very efficient.

There are some videos on youtube that you should watch on assembling a laser. Here is one:

just do a search for "build a blue laser" also look at some build threads here, you can start with mine, see the white links in my signature. They are intended to show people the easiest ways to assemble a laser where the hard parts are already done for you. I'll post another one soon.

Alan

thanks a lot dude!!! Best forum ive used so far. Also does the driver offer thermal shutdown just incase something overheats?
And do i need to buy the driver pill sapperatly?

Last edited:

Pluxx

Those drivers don't need heat sinking, you just need the heat sink for your diode module. It will fit in a C6, the S4 is the same size. I have an M140 in a C6 with the same 1.5A driver except I used the preassembled pill and driver and it wasn't drilled and there almost wasn't room for my wires. I later built another laser in their stainless steel host and used a drilled pill and there was enough room even with the extended heat sink, that one has a 2.2A driver and its not heat sinked either. Those round drivers Survival Laser sells are very efficient.

There are some videos on YouTube that you should watch on assembling a laser. Here is one:

Just do a search for "build a blue laser" also look at some build threads here, you can start with mine, see the white links in my signature. They are intended to show people the easiest ways to assemble a laser where the hard parts are already done for you. I'll post another one soon.

Alan

Survival Laser do offer international shipping correct?