Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heat Sink Compound?

Well I searched and searched and could not find any tutorials on the use of heat sink thermal compound. I have been building computers for 25 years and have allway's used a thermal compund of some sort in the build (Arctic Silver for the most part). So I just got my copper 5.6mm ax mounts today and was wondering if anyone has used this compound when mounting a diode into the module? I was :undecided: about what I should do so I just pressed it in without any Arctic silver..

I would like to know if anyone has actually used it for mounting a diode because I think it may be usefull to help lubricate the pressing process and would help with heat transfer allthough you would have to use it spareingly and be carefull not to get it on the end of the diode.

For the most part people do use thermal paste when pressing em, and just wipe off whatever excess squeezes out.

Thx I think... I knew the manufacturers were using something I see it on all the removed diodes and it is greesey white prolly the new ceramix (Sp) or something. Does the arctic silver conduct this kind of elecricity?

Is it safe to put this on my 50$ Diode? Is the Question.

or arctic silver is not worthy?

Kiz

Last edited:
Sorry I'm being specific on the compound. I just have lots of it arround 7 siringes. But read a post somewhere that made me think about it.

Last edited:
I'v never thermal compounded the diode itself before pressing because you don't want it to get on the can lens and you can't chance it for an open can diode. Also it will sever the electrical connection to the case if you aren't using a case pin on a non-case-neutral build.

I do always use Ceramique 2 on the aixiz diode mount when I place it in to the host's heatsink though. Depending on the host I'll put it between the heatsink and host as well.

Blord

I also never put thermal compund between diode and aixiz module. First it is messy. Second when the diode is heated up there is a chance that the compound will release fume that will get to the windows glass or the lens. I always want that area pristine. Third, what Sigurth said about electrical contact.
When the diode is pressed into the module the thermal contact is already very good.

I dunno but I ordered a diode from Daguin, in module, and it had thermal compound in there.

Electrical connection = no change, if it's pressed in tight, thermal paste won't cut the connection, it'll just stay in the gaps where the module's uneven (because they all are to some extent).

As for giving off fumes, if your diode runs upwards of 150+ celcius, you have alot more problems than fumes.

I dunno but I ordered a diode from Daguin, in module, and it had thermal compound in there.

Electrical connection = no change, if it's pressed in tight, thermal paste won't cut the connection, it'll just stay in the gaps where the module's uneven (because they all are to some extent).

As for giving off fumes, if your diode runs upwards of 150+ celcius, you have alot more problems than fumes.

Yeah that's way too hot.. I doubt arctic silver would fume at that temp anyway's
and you could allway's connect the case pin if need be.
I'm going to buy some cheap diodes and test this out!

W00t W00t Won 8000$ at the Briar Curling tonight 50/50 draw!!!

May pay the taxes I owe.. Canada eh!

Last edited:
For some builds where I know I won't be using the case-pin, I actually use Arctic Alumina thermal epoxy... it makes sure that it stays in there nice and tight, even though I suppose that isn't necessary. I just have lots of the stuff lying around and I don't like loose gunk in my work =p

For some builds where I know I won't be using the case-pin, I actually use Arctic Alumina thermal epoxy... it makes sure that it stays in there nice and tight, even though I suppose that isn't necessary. I just have lots of the stuff lying around and I don't like loose gunk in my work =p

I hope you never have to pop one out... you're going to be swearing if that ever has to happen

Eh. I haven't yet and I never plan on it. Generally, I set to conservative currents, so I expect long lives.

Not like Aixiz modules are expensive anyways... almost easier to just throw out the whole assembly if one ever gives up.

Different story for the copper ones, tho.

Ceramique 2 and most of the thermal epoxies are designed to be NON-CONDUCTIVE.

With the clearances between diode and module, nothing will fully prevent metal-on-metal contact... and if it does, you're going to have a hard time pressing it in.

You can always just pinch the ground wire between heatsink and host, if you're scared that module to diode contact will be broken, compromising the case pin's useability