Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heads up for Canadians.

GBD

This started out a bit oddly, so I'll give a bit of a back-story:
I got a notice slip to pick up a package yesterday, and when I got to the post office I noticed that said package had been opened by Health canada.

Looking at the customs declaration, it said "laser parts" on the side, value of 10$ and inside the package itself I found the following items:

-Cheap charger
-Ultrafire 18650
-Note from customs

According to the note (I assume the laser) was detained by customs, so I would guess they are really starting to get serious with these.

Now here is the really odd part: I never ordered this package in the first place :)confused: :confused: :confused:), I know that for a fact as I'm only expecting two packages for myself, and niether are even laser related, so the source of the package is a mystery to me. (Came from china though). So my theory on it is that some old site I ordered from ages ago(Dino, DX, or w/e) probably had my address and fucked up an order and sent it to me by accident.

So luckly for me that was no loss, and I really don't care about the fate of the laser in question. (No gain either, as much as I can't complain about free stuff, I hate these xxxFire cells). But I figure to post this as a warning for Canadain members to take extra care when they send thier shit across borders (or make sure that the importer doesn't give any hint of it bieng laser related, for that matter.).

Here is a photo of the notice that was in the package, the blacked out parts are just referance and contact numbers.

customs.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:

ARG

Thanks for the heads up... I thought Health Canada was only taking Wicked Lasers products, but it looks like they are after all lasers now...

Is there any official statement of what lasers are allowed for importing?

GBD

Not sure on that, I'll look into it later as I need to go right now,

But if you feel like it, maybe if you scan through the act yourself, you might find some information:

Radiation Emitting Devices Act

Last edited:

StokTT

Hey GBD ,
Its really funny because 2 week ago i receive a package at my ex-girlfriend appartment , she came and give me the package and ask me why i order stuff at her home and i said i didnt order anything , then i open the package and i found a cheap charger and a 18650 cell + a note from healt canada like you and i wasnt waiting for anything ... so i end up telling myself its maybe an old package from 6 month ago because 6 month ago i buy a laser from ebay and it never arrive and i ask my money back ...
Anyway

Last edited:
Yeah I got confiscation notices from health canada as well, I posted them up a while back.

Good thing I dont live in Canada, hopefully the US doesn't start to get a bit more strict. Did you search the return address online to see what company it was from?

GBD

Thats bc of batteries.

No, thats because there was mention on the custom declaration of laser related parts. Ive had lasers shipped before with batteries with no issues.

Did you search the return address online to see what company it was from?

Ah, I should have done that. I already disposed of the package earlier today.
Based on my past orders that might have had an 18650, Im going to go on a limb and say its dinodirect. (or lasersman, w/e they are nowdays)

Last edited: