Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hair removal infrared

The doctors just point a YAG at you. It really is DIY material. As long as it's a pulsed IR laser, it can remove hair.

Yes, it's dangerous, but so are tesla coils.

Krutz

indeed, no rocket science involved. the affordable (up to 200$ perhaps) all are simple IR (808nm) lasers, between 0.5 and 2 watts, with a driver to make a short pulse. thats all, everything else is show and nice housings.
there is a thread about it here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/laser-hair-removal-40498.html
having read a lot about diy laser hair-removal i say its not too difficult. but not cheap neither. more details in my answer there, post 34. the reason i didnt built such a thingie is just that the plan to permanently remove hair was canceled altogether, for reasons which have nothing to do with the method ;-)

depending on luck (ebay) and knowledge, expect maybe 200-1000$ and some dozen hours research, parts collecting and building.
you will then have a laser comparable or better to professional lasers, costing several hundred to thousand dollars per bodypart. sell/lend it to friends later, or build a kickass greenie from the parts! :)

manuel

mfo

I'm going to attempt a DIY LASIK project. I'm going to point a 650nm laser into my eye, and focus into a super tight dot. I'm guessing around 1W or two would suffice?

OK your either :drunk: or you need to be :lasergun: .:crackup:

I'm going to attempt a DIY LASIK project. I'm going to point a 650nm laser into my eye, and focus into a super tight dot. I'm guessing around 1W or two would suffice?

Krutz

you'll need super high (pulsed) peak powers, an "eye-safe" wavelength (which is absorbed in the vitreous), and a really strong diverging beam after the focal point to further reduce energy on the retina.
in short, no, please get a better laser for this :p
oh, for first cutting and flipping away the cornea you will need some sort of knife.. perhaps let someone else hold open your eye for this, so you have both hands free? or dont blink, but then you have to be faster..
no, serious now: dont use a regular knife! that would be madness! build yourself an obsidian blade, thats what the pros use. flint should work almost equally well. dont want to unnecessarily risk your eye, right?

manuel

LASIK is different. The burning needs to be very precise and the laser must be UV. With hair removal, you just need to kill the folicles, and that is easily done with any high power pulse that penetrates deep enough (NIR)