Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gun problem!

I recently bought an AR style .22
the lower is an actual AR-15 .223, with a Chiappa M4-22 upper receiver, which is polymer.

I ended up spending almost $600 on this gun.
After about 700 rounds, the bolt broke on me. The rod that the spring went around came loose and the spring got all coiled up inside the slide.
I got it replaced, and it happened again.
Then i had to wait for 2 months to get it replaced again!

After getting this all solved i realized I couldn't get my scope sighted in. The scope seemed to randomly be unsighted. I would get it sighted in, and the next time i went to the range it would be messed up again.

Long story short, I found out that the barrel itself is moving!
it's not that anything is loose, it's just bending under pressure. The slight pressure from resting the barrel on a table causes my gun to shoot 6" high at 50 yards, as well as have a shit pattern.

I took him home and and measured the barrel. about 4 inches up the barrel, right below the scope my barrel moves .5mm just from me pressing on it when i have the butt stock in a mini vice.

You can see in the pictures below, the difference between resting the gun on a table, and then not letting anything touch the barrel while I shoot.

Anyone ever run into this problem? I can't help but think it's the polymer that's the problem. perhaps it's not thick enough to stabilize the barrel?
I ordered an aluminum quad rail and i plan to make the barrel physically fixed to the quad rail at the front and back, as well as the quad rail fixed to the polymer receiver.

I'm hoping this works.
I also thought of maybe putting the end clamp from the scope on the very beginning of the quad rail (which will be fixed tot he barrel)
so that if the barrel does happen to move, it has to move the quad rail and thus move the scope perfectly with it.

I'm kinda of angry as i've got almost $600 (about $700 now with the accessories) in a .22!!! it should shoot like a dream for the next 100 years for that much money.

both pictures are of shots at 50 yaards. No adjustments to sights were made, all i did was lift the gun up off the table so that the barrel was not resting on anything

Attachments

• barrelfloating.jpg
    barrelfloating.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 189
  • barrelresting.jpg
    barrelresting.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Unless you really like the gun, you might wanna cut your losses on this one, maybe try and trade it for another AR style 22, there are a lot of choices. S&W makes a basically all polymer M-16 style rifle called the M&P-22, I owned one and put 4000+ rounds through it no problems, and quite accurate. It comes with a polymer quad rail from the factory and quality A-2 sights. In most gun shops these run a little more than $400, so maybe you could trade even for what you have.
-Matt

Unless you really like the gun, you might wanna cut your losses on this one, maybe try and trade it for another AR style 22, there are a lot of choices. S&W makes a basically all polymer M-16 style rifle called the M&P-22, I owned one and put 4000+ rounds through it no problems, and quite accurate. It comes with a polymer quad rail from the factory and quality A-2 sights. In most gun shops these run a little more than $400, so maybe you could trade even for what you have.
-Matt
That's what I was going to buy to begin with. this one store closed 15 minutes early one day and i missed it, then the next day I was running late from school that day and called the gun shop. They didn't want to stay open an extra 5 minutes for a $400 sale, so i spent $600 a their competitor's store.

I have thought about selling it.
I'll probably keep the lower because I eventually want to have an AR-15 so i'd just need to buy the upper receiver for it. especially if they're going to make them illegal to buy again.

I really like the gun, if it would just shoot straight without breaking!!

If this doesn't work to make it shoot better then i'll just cut my losses, explain the whole story on a firearms forum and take the best offer for it.
and of course forever talk shit on Chiappa for not helping with it.

Chiappa won't do anything for you? It sounds like a poor quality barrel, I've never experienced this with any .22.

it's not the barrel itself that's bending, it's bending in relation to the polymer upper, which is what the scope is attached to.

the barrel slides into the polymer upper, and then is held down by a threaded cap, where it slide in i can see shift when any pressure if put on the barrel.

i just assume it's because it's made of plastic, so of course it's going to bend if it's not thick enough to resist the forces.

got the quad rail and bipod forward grip today...
the bipod legs are spring loaded and collapse into the handle of the forward grip. so it can go from a regular forward grip to a bipod with the press of a button.

I just like to press the button to make them pop out....
34912d1319223924-gun-problem-chiappam4-22.jpg

Attachments

• chiappam4-22.jpg
    chiappam4-22.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
There is no way a weapon like that should be that touchy, i would raise holly hell with the people i bought it from.
I keep hearing stuff like this and i dont like it.
I will keep my sks and ak's they may not be as pretty, but the NEVER break.

I would like a Galil though , but only because its operated by a Kalashnikov- pattern gas-driven piston system with no regulator.

I've got the quad rail permanently affixed to the barrel now.
If the barrel moves, it's going to have to move the quad rail with it too.
If the quad rail moves, it's going to have to move that scope with it too.

so if by some chance the barrel is still able to move, the scope should move along with it and never be off target.

I may see if someone can cover my shift tomorrow so I can go shoot it and see if it's fixed :D

I can't wait to find a decent house in the country. Then i can just step out my back door and unload on shit.

Last edited:
I've got the quad rail permanently affixed to the barrel now.
If the barrel moves, it's going to have to move the quad rail with it too.
If the quad rail moves, it's going to have to move that scope with it too.

so if by some chance the barrel is still able to move, the scope should move along with it and never be off target.

I may see if someone can cover my shift tomorrow so I can go shoot it and see if it's fixed :D

I can't wait to find a decent house in the country. Then i can just step out my back door and unload on shit.

That and the fact you will be able to pee off the back porch if ya want to.

benmwv

Come on over to West Virginia! Then we can be fellow hillbillies!

Out my backdoor is a fence, barn, some horses, and a mountain.

maybe if land wasn't outrageous. People want like $3000 an acre around here

ten years ago my parents bought 40 acres for like $35000.

I found 17 acres for 29,000 but it has no utilites and would require a lot of tree removal and landscaping.