Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings of a new member from The Netherlands.

Greetings of a new member.

Hello,

My name is Maurits and this is my first thread on this forum. My hobbies are gaming, programming, and since short lasers.

My interest in lasers has increased a lot during the last months and I'm glad that I found this place. It's truely a great source of information about any kind of laser. I've been browsing around for a month or two :pop: before I made an account so my knowlege about lasers has fairly increased. I've already read the FAQ's/Rules stickies ofcourse. :yh:

I'm owning a 50mw green laser pointer ATM (purchased at DX) which I'm using especially for pointing at the sky and into the distance. I'm aware of the dangers that lasers can be to the human eye (IR D=) so I'm very careful with what I'm doing. (buying safety glasses soon for close pointing/playing around with mirrors)

I don't really know what else to write about myself so feel free to ask whatever you want. =P

Greetings to everyone!

Maurits
:wave:

Last edited:

welcome.gif
to the forum...

Enjoy your stay...
[Edit]

Jerry

Last edited:

Jaseth

Welcome to the forum! You will fit right in with that good attitude :) We always appreciate members who read a lot and don't simply ask to get spoonfed.

I am not sure whether I understood you wrongly but IR is not the primary concern with a green pen laser - the 532nm light is still far more dangerous, and the amount of IR in it is propably not very large. The trouble with IR tends to be with lasers of a slightly higher power in cases where the user expects to be completely protected by his anti-532nm goggles and therefore takes quite a powerful IR shot to the eye.

Seb

EDIT: Removed, thanks Jerry ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You will fit right in with that good attitude :) We always appreciate members who read a lot and don't simply ask to get spoonfed.

I am not sure whether I understood you wrongly but IR is not the primary concern with a green pen laser - the 532nm light is still far more dangerous, and the amount of IR in it is propably not very large. The trouble with IR tends to be with lasers of a slightly higher power in cases where the user expects to be completely protected by his anti-532nm goggles and therefore takes quite a powerful IR shot to the eye.

Seb

EDIT: Jerry, didn't you see "I've already read the FAQ's/Rules stickies ofcourse."
Perhaps you are the one who should read :tsk:

Yea, I understand that the green light is a lot more dangerous because it's emitted in a much higher quantity then IR is. However I'm especially afraid of the IR light because it's invisible, doesn't cause a blink reflex, and like you said, not blocked by 532nm safety goggles. Most green laser pointers also emit unfocused IR which means that it can reflect against objects that are positioned around the dot, giving less control over it (This isn't a big ussue ofcourse but it's still meh :undecided:).

Last edited:

roosl

Hey Maurits!

I like that name - My favorite graphic artist! ;)

Enjoy your time here!

Regards,

EDIT: Jerry, didn't you see "I've already read the FAQ's/Rules stickies ofcourse."
Perhaps you are the one who should read :tsk:

My apologies Jaseth... you are correct....I missed that line...
Thanks for correcting me... I guess I wasn't as attentive as you are...:cryyy:
( I've edited it for you )

Jerry

Last edited:
welcome- good start-you will be fine.IMO---btw we are at opposite ends- I am 62!!!-Len