Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Australia, Land of Laser Restrictions

Hey guys,

I'm from Perth, Western Australia.

Over here, we're not "supposed to have anything over 1mW... Hehe
If you can see my sig you'll know I don't abide by their laws.

I received the 5mW Red when I was very young, and they were still legal.
I once tried to get a 50mW Green through (AirMail) but customs confiscated it.

So I decided to build my own after checking out the "KipKay Instructable" and some other YouTube videos.

Now, my 300mW laser can ignite matches, burn tape, and pop balloons.
It's a 300mW Red Open-Can diode in an Aixiz housing. (Using their driver)
I run it off 3v supplied by 2x AA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

Any questions/comments?

Tnx, and greetings to you all.
- AusR34P3R

P.S
I'm also interested in Computing (Overclocking) and Audio Hi-Fi.
I have a pretty sweet rig (computer), a 40" 1080p LCD, 5.1 surround and some nice cans (Headphones).

Here's some pictures of my laser if you want to see it:

Just a crude "Prototype" for now, I'll make a better housing for it soon enough.

Last edited:

cust11

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you will fit in perfectly with all of the others. We have all of those laser sections as well as an overclocking thread in the Other section. Dive in.

-Mike

I love the term Land of laser restriction hahaha it has an interesting ring to it! And yes welcome to the forums!
Keep building your own rigs!
-stnfrdpolo

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you will fit in perfectly with all of the others. We have all of those laser sections as well as an overclocking thread in the Other section. Dive in.

-Mike
Thanks for the greeting, good to see you guys OverClock as well.
I love the term Land of laser restriction hahaha it has an interesting ring to it! And yes welcome to the forums!
Keep building your own rigs!
-stnfrdpolo
I'd like to keep building (As it's hard to get Pre-Built in) but it's the time and resources.

I just my my 150mW Blu-Ray driver but it's a DIY and my new solder tips don't fit the iron, need a new Iron... Damn!
Can't wait to get this laser operational!

Still, I have a mate who wants one built, and he'll pay me Double what it's worth because he really wants to burn stuff. :D

I don't know if the instructable mentioned it, but you will find out by reading the info contained in this forum that you need a heatsink for your laser. It's not going to last very long without one. It makes for longer duty cycles (more burn time) :eg:

I don't know if the instructable mentioned it, but you will find out by reading the info contained in this forum that you need a heatsink for your laser. It's not going to last very long without one. It makes for longer duty cycles (more burn time) :eg:
If you could link me to some info that would be great.

At the moment, I just shut it down as soon as it gets warm (~2min) and leave it for a few min to cool down before I re-use it.

This is the first laser I ever built, so it's a discovery-in-progress if you will.

Hey mate, I’m from OZ to. Welcome to the forums.

Your build looks good. Need a nice home to put it in, and as what others have said, definitely some heat sinking.

You said here

Over here, we're not "supposed to have anything over 1mW... Hehe
If you can see my sig you'll know I don't abide by their laws.

That’s somewhat true, for importing handhelds, but get yourself a DPSS unit, and laugh in their face even more (and maybe at your wallet)

Be warned, this can be a very expensive addiction...I mean hobby.

Dave

jnrpop

another australian victim to the hobby! welcome!
Yer we have restricstions but really if your keen on the hobby, you'll enjoy building your own anyway, the research and construction is half the fun, find out some pretty useful info on this site!

I had a few confiscated to, i can just imagine the mountain of confiscated lasers at the customs yard...mmm
Good luck!

Corey

jnrpop

yer along the lines of" Kids you can open your presents now", "It better not be another one of those stupid lasers dad!" haha.
arrrr its ashame when companies like dx and o-like ship incredibley cheap complete pointers...and we cant get em. But then the hobby would wind out of control and i wouldn stop spending, its good havin to wait for parts and you get that time gap! haha

hey man
im aussie too :) what state you from?
damo
Just check below my Avatar, Perth WA mate.
Hey mate, I’m from OZ to. Welcome to the forums.

Your build looks good. Need a nice home to put it in, and as what others have said, definitely some heat sinking.

That’s somewhat true, for importing handhelds, but get yourself a DPSS unit, and laugh in their face even more (and maybe at your wallet)

Be warned, this can be a very expensive addiction...I mean hobby.

Dave
I was thinking of mounting it in a Cap-Gun (9mm Style) and using a Momentary switch where the trigger is for quick use, and a rocker switch in the bullet compartment for long term use. (Immature yes, but functional)

A few things:
1. How would I heatsink this well? (I heatsink computers mate, not lasers)
2. DPSS unit?
3. I'm only 17 and not rich, also I have few other hobbies for my wallet so I'm not looking to spend heaps on a laser hobby.
another australian victim to the hobby! welcome!
Yer we have restricstions but really if your keen on the hobby, you'll enjoy building your own anyway, the research and construction is half the fun, find out some pretty useful info on this site!

I had a few confiscated to, i can just imagine the mountain of confiscated lasers at the customs yard...mmm
Good luck!

Corey
Hopefully I'll be getting a few 100mW Greens through this time, contacted the seller and they're "helping" me get them through.

Once tried to get a 50mW Green off DX... Customs stole that one, the rat bast****.
and all those customs officers new presents for their kid
True 'aye.

They say they destroy them but I doubt that...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just out of curiosity, what are some of your ages out there?
I'm 17 myself (As previously stated) and would like to know at what ages you got interested in lasers and how long you've been interested.
Tnx.

Last edited:

YGG

Welcome, I love overclocking as well and I have a 5.1, awesome rig and good cans (Shure E4g) You'll fit in well.