Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Star Trek Ghetto Phaser Build

ru124t

Hi guys,
this thread is about my latest build, a green classic star trek phaser . I realize that Jayrob is the master at this , and while I am still saving cash to buy one of his masterpieces, I thought I would jury-rig a phaser to tide me over. I won't go into great detail on this as it has been done on here numerous times. Anyone wanting detailed info on this , should look no further than Jayrobs thread. http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-star-trek-phaser-mod-green-46761.html

I contacted Jayrob for information on this and he was very helpful. I wanted to buy the custom heatsink that you see on his thread but could not wait. I bought this module 532nm 120mW Green Laser Module Green Laser DOT Module 3 0V 3 7V Spcial Offer | eBay . Without the heatsink it would be incredibly hard to center up the beam. As you know, I work in building supplies and hardware. I purchased a roll of thin aluminum tape that is used for sealing duct pipes. Using Jayrobs tutorial as a guideline , I cut the tape to the desired width and wrapped the module to the correct size. It work perfect and being aluminum , it makes a really good heatsink as well ! I should have taken pictures of this part of the build but I was so excited by the result that I could not wait to put the beast back together again! There is one thing I have to say before we get to the photos. If you build this , don't do what I did and use the stock trigger switch. Jayrob was right and although the switch works great, I really don't know how long it will last. I would recommend doing the switch mod on this when you build. Not a big deal for me, but for others this could be a problem.

Now for some Pictures and beam shots as best as I could get anyway! LOL

I would like to thank Jayrob again for all his help. Once I have all the funds in place, there will be a Jayrob model phaser in my collection.

Nice mod :beer:
I am cracking up as this just reminded me of what a bunch of geeks we are :D
All is good though as we are the ones who keep developing and pushing forwards and are never happy with just as is or good enough.

Pman

Good job also making it work and REP.
Will say that you should have a really strong beam if that was actually 120mW. If I were you I would go and buy some Fasttech 5V 5mW modules for under $6 each as not only are they WAY overspec, they have a pot you can adjust (adjust to .43A for max output from my testing). 1/3 to 1/2 of them will adjust to over 100mW with that setting and they run from about 2.8V to 5V with about the same output.
I do have a Jayrob Phaser with all the bells and whistles that a good friend of mine who barely ever visits (Lazerbeak) bought for me as a shocking surprise when I almost died in the hospital a couple years ago. Anyone who remembers him wishes he was still here:( He was VERY kind and helped many members and had great giveaways.
Anyways, props for figuring things out on your own. I use thin copper all the time with things I build but I am running out.
Did you keep the sound and how well does it work? The one issue with a lot of these is for some reason the sound is kind of hit or miss when you pull the trigger (Jayrob said this is a known issue). I haven't gone through why yet but about 1/2 the time mine won't trigger the sound and it used to be able to make 2 different pitches but mine only does one now.

Last edited:

ru124t

Hi Guy, the sound works on mine everytime . The only thing is it only does the continuous firing after a couple of presses. I have not taken out the ole laserbee to measure but this has a nice thick beam and it is a really bright green ! Both sound works everytime on mine. This module also has a pot but I did not touch it. I will have to measure it later this evening.