Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser recommendations for outdoor use, sunlight, up to 120 ft, identifying targets with someone close by

rockclimber

I have a bit of a niche use for a green laser recommendation. I hope I can get your help. I want to buy once and buy right.

I am looking for a green laser point to be used outside to help identify holds on rock from the ground. This would be up to maybe 150 ft max. Could be in full sunlight, worst case. But usually with some cloud cover. Most likely in the shade somewhat.

What I'm worried about from reading and researching, is getting a cheap DPSS laser pointer with a bunch of invisible IR energy around it and could cause eye damage to the climber on the wall. With this usage, one person would be on the wall very close to where the laser is pointing on the wall. The other person would be on the ground at most 150 ft away. More likely though 10 ft - 80 ft though, but I want something that would work with all applications.

I found a thread with a similar question but I can't link it as I don't have enough posts, but I have no idea where the OP got 600 ft from, so the thoughts and recommendations aren't really applicable. Also he wanted it to be really rugged, but I don't think that's really necessary. I don't need one for a gun scope. It's not going to be banged against rocks. Doesn't need to be waterproof. But I'll be packing it in and out, so lighter and maybe AAA battery would be really nice. Just normal wear and tear. It'll be in a backpack and used by someone on the ground. Link: laserpointerforums.com/threads/green-laser-recommendation-rugged-lightweight-waterproof-daylight-visible.67817/

I hope this request for recommendations is acceptable. To summarize, basically visible to both parties, with someone close by, safe for the person close, up to 150 ft in daylight. This would also be used indoors (inside a climbing gym) but I figured it needed to be geared towards harshest use scenario.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Edit: I should also add that the person on the wall would have their back to the laser. So it would just be the splash off of the rock that would be a concern. i just don't want anyone getting injured by it. I think a direct look into the laser would be super rare and avoidable.

Last edited:

kecked

You might be able to diverge the beam enough so they can see it on the rock and have it be considerably safer but the risk will always exist of an eye strike. Holding something steady at that distance isn’t trivial. Plus if you can make the beam eye safe on the wall, I doubt you the pointer will see it on the ground. Sorry this isn’t likely to work and be safe. You might be able to do it at sunrise.

I think and it is just an opinion that to have bright enough source it will have to be unsafe. You also can’t put safety glasses on the climber as they won’t see the beam and that defeats the purpose.

thinking it’s better for the experienced climber to go first and paint the spots.

rockclimber

Thank you for the reply. Do you think that the safety issue is from an eye strike? There is no risk from the splash off the rock? I think we can minimize the risk of a direct shot into the eyes. People actually do this a fair amount, and I'm sure that they are just buying whatever comes up on Amazon or eBay. The issue is that it's really hard to be on the same page when you're talking about holds ("no, not that one, a little higher, to your right" etc. It's difficult and frustrating.) So it's not just something someone can go up first and chalk the holds. Any recommendations with this in mind?

Unpairedelectron01

I think that as long as the climber is facing away from you, and you use a certified <5mW green laser, there should be no issue. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be able to see a 532nm green laser dot at 120ft even in broad daylight. Diffuse reflections off of non-specular surfaces (non-shiny) pose little issue until you start getting to the multiwatt range, so that is not something you need to be worried about.

kecked

I agree side splash isn’t an issue. Eye strike likely isn’t with 5mw at 120ft either but you have to Calc the mpe.
try a cheap pointer and see what you see.

rockclimber

I think that as long as the climber is facing away from you, and you use a certified <5mW green laser, there should be no issue. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be able to see a 532nm green laser dot at 120ft even in broad daylight. Diffuse reflections off of non-specular surfaces (non-shiny) pose little issue until you start getting to the multiwatt range, so that is not something you need to be worried about.
I agree side splash isn’t an issue. Eye strike likely isn’t with 5mw at 120ft either but you have to Calc the mpe.
try a cheap pointer and see what you see.
Thank you both for the replies. Really appreciate your expertise. Any recommendations for a certified <5 mW 532 nm laser? Something that will last?

Eidetical

Beams of any power will be safer at the receiving end if you keep the beam moving. Worst case is if the laser is mounted to a telescope, the scope gets bumped, and the beam is on the climber's head waiting for him/her to turn around briefly. Handheld by a responsible adult is going to be pretty safe, especially if the hand is stabilized. I'd want a side button.

Also, I'd imagine a climber won't turn around and stare, especially if encountering a really bright light through their wrap-around sunglasses (but reflections off the inside surface of my aviators would be a problem), in the periphery of his/her eye that's at or near minimum aperture, knowing a laser may be in use. "Don't lase me dude!" Still, I'd start with minimum power like mentioned above. And be extra cautious if the climber is wearing open-sided glasses.

Last edited:

rockclimber

Beams of any power will be safer at the receiving end if you keep the beam moving. Worst case is if the laser is mounted to a telescope, the scope gets bumped, and the beam is on the climber's head waiting for him/her to turn around briefly. Handheld by a responsible adult is going to be pretty safe, especially if the hand is stabilized. I'd want a side button.

Also, I'd imagine a climber won't turn around and stare, especially if encountering a really bright light through their wrap-around sunglasses (but reflections off the inside surface of my aviators would be a problem), in the periphery of his/her eye that's at or near minimum aperture, knowing a laser may be in use. "Don't lase me dude!" Still, I'd start with minimum power like mentioned above. And be extra cautious if the climber is wearing open-sided glasses.
Yes agree completely. Low risk with adults and handheld use. The climber isn't going to turn around.

Uy the cheap 10.00 ones off eBay. If they break no big deal. There is no point buying quality for this application
Thanks for the advice. This is what I was looking for.

Uy the cheap 10.00 ones off eBay. If they break no big deal. There is no point buying quality for this application
I agree with the caveat that these are generally not IR filtered. It likely won't be hazardous at the distances we're talking about but it's worth noting.

As someone that does a bit of bouldering and has lots of laser experience, I'm certain 5 mW won't be very visible in direct sunlight but will be plenty visible in an indoor climbing gym.
Outdoors, you want something that is easily visible instantly, because time on a hold costs energy. In direct sunlight a climber on the wall will need something in the 30-50 mW range - more will be disorienting and the after images left by an intense light may make it more difficult for a climber to see what they're doing.
If you go this route, be sure to discuss safety with anyone that will be using or viewing the laser and don't use a laser > 5 mW at an indoor gym open to the general public.
As with any potentially dangerous tool, understand the hazards and use it with appropriate caution and you'll be alright.

Lasers seem like a great solution for a lot of problems but when all things are considered they often turn out to be far from ideal. Tape, paint, or chalk make for much better route markers and don't pose a risk of eye injury.

rockclimber

I agree with the caveat that these are generally not IR filtered. It likely won't be hazardous at the distances we're talking about but it's worth noting.

As someone that does a bit of bouldering and has lots of laser experience, I'm certain 5 mW won't be very visible in direct sunlight but will be plenty visible in an indoor climbing gym.
Outdoors, you want something that is easily visible instantly, because time on a hold costs energy. In direct sunlight a climber on the wall will need something in the 30-50 mW range - more will be disorienting and the after images left by an intense light may make it more difficult for a climber to see what they're doing.
If you go this route, be sure to discuss safety with anyone that will be using or viewing the laser and don't use a laser > 5 mW at an indoor gym open to the general public.
As with any potentially dangerous tool, understand the hazards and use it with appropriate caution and you'll be alright.

Lasers seem like a great solution for a lot of problems but when all things are considered they often turn out to be far from ideal. Tape, paint, or chalk make for much better route markers and don't pose a risk of eye injury.
Thank you.

Almost seems like I need two pointers. One inside and one out. Unfortunately looking at the top ones on Amazon, many say <100 mw only. Not <5 mw.

Is there one that has a filter so I can safely use inside and then take off for outside?