Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser in 4x4/rally use

I liked in the video that it showed a sweep, you could still see it more or less. But Livinloud is right, pointing it straight up will not yield a "beacon"

tsk1979, How close can your gps get you? How far away would you need to see the beam?

Tmack

That's the exact video I was talking about. Thanks Sean.

Thanks for your replies. Using GPS, I think the rescue guys can get to about within 50-60 meters of the vehicle.
Then its mostly shouting and stuff. But if the driver is injured, shining a laser in the sky is easier than clapping and stuff.
I guess 100mW is needed minimum then for dark night.
Twilight... Well I guess there is no easy solution.

Search light flashlights maybe? If you get a high enough powered light they act like those lights at movie premiers. Just a thought.......

Im dead serious about a search light. Especially if you are talking baja style racing, its wide open area so shining the light in 360 degree pattern means it can be seen from a FAR distance easily

Tmack

That red phatlight would work well for a emergency spotlight.

I think in a racing setting a heavy searchlight could be a detriment. I think the idea too is that it could be carried on the driver's person.

Why not just use a 100mW green laser with a fan diffraction grating? :thinking:

Wouldn't the driver / navigator know which direction help would be coming from? They could just sweep the laser in that direction. If the rescue team could get within half a football field the driver could hear them and sweep the laser in that direction right? We aren't talking about MILES here.

Heavy searchlight? :crackup: I have two that you can see across tampabay and they combined weigh under 10lbs total loaded with cells. K40 and na-f02 (iirc). By searchlight all I mean is a high lumen compact light. K40vn does 1700lm and na-f02 does 2600lm (xm-l2 dedome and mtg2 dedome).

You could stand on bayshore/bridge to davis island and see the light from gandy/bayshore (that's not even a joke)

Oh no I absolutely believe you, but in true competition vehicles they shave every ounce... I suppose it really depends on the level that the OP's teams compete.

Most rally cars don't even have trunks to store stuff so you could have a 10lb projectile flying around the car in the event of

Admittedly some of these were lame but I'm at work and couldn't get a better video, you get the idea.

Last edited:
my step father has a strobe light thing that was used on his sailboat and when he worked for the coast guard that is used as a S.O.S. signaling devise. it can be seen for many miles very small and runs on 9 volt battery. I'll snap a picture next time I'm at his house.

Any of these (maybe minus the C8) can be seen for miles and they are various lumen and battery setups; pick what works best for you (all under 5 lbs loaded with cells)