Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Laser for Kids recommendations

If he is 7yd this laser it's ok for him Newest 1mW 532nm Green Laser Beam light Pointer Pen | eBay

With a little fog will be ok. Don't forget to put ir filter.

5mW greens is too bright for kids.
That "1mW 532nm Green Laser" is from a Hong Kong
seller no doubt trying to clear his stock into the USA.

I would not be surprised that the Laser is probably
putting out more than even 5mW to 10mW...

The seller is not even sure what the output is...
He states 1mW and 5mW as output...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT!
You can take laserlovers advice or that of all the others-many who are vets here and only try to give out good advice.
@ laserlover---
While I am somewhat sorry you go so many neg reps for that advice I do think you will refrain from doing it again and some pos reps will come your way in time and it will be part of the past.

hak

Why not a 1mW green laser?

I have tested a few "1mW" red lasers (the button cell ones and the AAA pens) and they are more often than not greater than 5mW. Cheapo red lasers do not have any regulation other than a limiting resistor so the power delivered to the diode - and therefore the optical output power of the laser - is dependent on the battery's charge. One red pointer I tested averaged 13mW.
What say you now about the safety of cheapo red lasers?

If you want something that is eye safe (not that direct exposure is ok) and bright a 1mW greenie from a reputable vendor will be ok. As others pointed out, a fog/smoke machine from the local party store will bring out the beam.

Here you go:
http://www.laserglow.com/GLY - Laserglow - Canada based, good company, reliable products
FDA Safety Class II Green Laser - Legal UK, Australia, European Union - Z-bolt - USA based, good company, reliable products

Z-bolt's laser pointers have an integrated power control circuit and an IR filter. It is more expensive than the generic brand lasers but you can rest assured that this laser is ~1mW.
The same goes for LaserGlow's pointers but their models are <3mW and <5mW.
Personally, I think 5mW is just fine but maybe I'm crazy.

Also, it would be a good idea to tell the boy sternly that never, under any circumstances should he point the laser at eyes or vehicles. "Idiot proofing" only goes so far. The best safety is information and education. As long as you provide a good example of safe and responsible use, you can get your son whatever you want.

Addendum: It may be worth mentioning that on a dark night with a bit of humidity, a 1-5mW green laser's beam will be visible enough to point out stars and whatnot. The dot will be bright enough to see for a modest distance. A red laser of equal power, however, will never be as visible as a green laser in any circumstance.

Last edited:
7 is a bit young for a laser with powers 1mw+ but I shouldn't be talking I am 13 and have built a 1000mw blue laser and a 500mw+ 405nm laser from the money I got from my job. I would just show him your laser and let him use it wall you watch him and make sure he is not pointing it at humans or plans. don't worry I have 3 pairs of goggles and know no what not to do with a laser I am maybe 13 but I am not stupid.

Last edited: