Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greek rioters use lasers against police

Oh dear. More bad press for lasers...

Though I must say I do agree. That is a pretty awesome beamshot :cool:

daguin

WE are officially strange

The world --

15 YEAR OLD BOY KILLED BY POLICE
RIOTS IN THE STREETS
OVER 100 PEOPLE INJURED BY RIOTERS
MILLIONS IN PROPERTY DAMAGE
VIOLENT CROWD TRIES TO BLIND POLICE MAN

Us --

Dayum! Thats a nice beam shot! I wonder what the mW is?

Peace,
dave

Benm

Oh, come on.. tries to blind policeman..

I've seen footage of policemen actually on fire from molotovs down in greece - closing your eyes is sufficient protection from most lasers at the distances displayed. Perhaps the lasers are used to intimidate, but not as a blinding weapon in this story!

daguin

Benm said:

I've seen footage of policemen actually on fire from molotovs down in greece - closing your eyes is sufficient protection from most lasers at the distances displayed. Perhaps the lasers are used to intimidate, but not as a blinding weapon in this story!

Pssssst!

It was a joke

Peace,
dave

FrothyChimp said:
It's been my personal experience that most teenagers and college students are idiots. Most have no clue about the real world and believe they have all the answers for the world's problems. Unfortunately they lack the one critical component required: mileage.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Lots of folks are idiots their whole lives, but most seem to temper their idiocy with time & experience. ;)

I agree with you that it is a nice beamshot. But don't forget what a criminal that cop became. None of the greek kids will forget Alex. As for the riots... They are the worst demonstration Greece has had since 1975.

Benm said:

Um, why else would one shine a high powered laser into someone's face, just for a laugh? That's like saying, "They only through a cinder block at the cops. All the cops had to do was take a half step to the side to avoid being crushed. Obviously they were not intending to harm the officers."

Benm

spyrorocks said:
It has been said before, but damn... thats a nice beamshot...

So amazing in fact, that i am looking for ways to start riots of similar size here in holland, as to replicate this fantastic result :D

If it all works out, i'll even make them in red and blue too. Anyone interested in sponsoring this endeavour can send me their teargas, molotov cocktails and unexploded ordinance - one has to start with something, right?

Razako

It was probably just a weak 5mw that some kids were using to annoy the police. With all of the smoke from the riot and a long exposure you can easily get beams looking like that. Overall I would be more worried about the firebombs.

last night on some forum, a link got posted to a streaming video of a riot, presumably there
http://mfile.akamai.com/61609/live/reflector:50061.asx?prop=e

it cut off right before something big happened, but there were a good couple hundred people there, and the riot police smoking them out of what looked like a small park kinda place. i just checked again and the camera is up still, pointing at some people huddled around something.
maybe they will do something again tonight lol

daguin

LASERFUTER_1 said:
Id say that lasers alot more than 100mW, look at the thickness of that beam baby  ;D

That's just from camera shake and over-exposure.

Peace,
dave

Benm

It's not camera shake - look how clear the houses on the background are. Its the cop thats moving and perhaps a bit out of focus.

But the beam should probably be pretty fat, at 100 metres distance or so, a ~10 cm dot is not uncommon for simple green pointers.

Also, its a really long exposure - look how bright everything is lit up by what appears to be no more than a low powered sodium streetlight. I'd say this shot was made so the beam appear as bright as possible, likely much much more bright than to the eye in that situation.