Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great use for those "star filter" pen tips

MojoLA

So I admit it, I was suckered in by the ritz & dazzle of those ads for pens with multiple screw-on tips, each with a different diffraction grating.

The pictures are so enticing - but when I finally got it home (a 30mw pen with 6 tips), within a few short minutes you kinda realize there's not much you can really do with them, especially since the tips aren't motorized to keep the pattern moving (THAT would be cool).

The starfield one is probably the best of the bunch, but it's not really that great since, on a flat surface (like a ceiling) you can clearly see the checkerboard pattern.

Still, I love playing with light, so I was determined to come up with a cool use for it.

And so I did!

Instead of projecting the stars up, I tried projecting them DOWN, straight down into my living room from above.

The results are nothing short of spectacular!

The first pic has the lights on so you can see what the room looks like normally... the second is a good representation of what you will actually see... and the third shows my "laser living room" complete with lumia wheel show on the walls and ceiling and stars... on the floor :)

Because the living room is full of objects that break up the flat surface, you don't see the pattern so much... and when you walk through the room, you get this great sensation of walking through the stars - trust me, it makes your heart skip a beat and is a VERY cool experience.

So go ahead kids, try this at home (tall ceilings do help, of course).

(And if anyone was curious, the small, glowing amber pillars are LED candles)

Attachments

• StarTip01.jpg
    StarTip01.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 344
  • StarTip02.jpg
    StarTip02.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,242
  • StarTip03.jpg
    StarTip03.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 464

MojoLA

Sponge, that's the same tip I was using - I think all the "special effects" tips for the pens - no matter where you buy them - are the same. This one also came with 5 other effects, all of which change as you rotate the tip.

It looks like you live in a disco bar. My wife would never go for it :crackup:

MojoLA

I know, I love it. Believe it or not, the mood is actually very relaxing. The lumia effect is slow and hypnotic and the stars all over everything is just... cool.

Looks good, Mojo! Good to see what you're doing with that lumia wheel of yours, and your "entertainment" room looks great with all these lights. You new adjustable AC powered 405 will be a great addition to the ceiling;)

Now all you need is a haze machine, and strobe light, a blacklight, and some rave techno!

Looks great- very relaxing for sure-- I can almost hear the music too.

MojoLA

I agree 100% that NONE of this works unless you have the right music... for me, this setup is designed for mellow, ambient, trip hop kind of stuff. Remember, none of the lights are blinking or moving fast. It really does create a nice atmosphere that makes being home "an experience."

Plus it gives me a good REASON to buy lasers :) And since I'm not interested in burning stuff, I don't need high power - so the lasers I buy are cheaper and can stay on longer.

Honestly, I don't think anyone has a need for more than ONE burning laser. Everyone is so caught up in the mw game, why? Who really needs a whole bunch of high power, DANGEROUS lasers? For the light show, anything from 5-50mw is probably all you need (maybe a little more for the darker colors, like red).

This makes the hobby a lot more affordable!