Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great audio player at half the price!

Hi guys,

First of all, congrats to everybody in U.S.! Wish you a nice holiday!

it's been awhile since my last post... I guess, old craziness is over :), but I'm still playing with my only remaining greenie every once in a while :) ...

Soon I'll be running a promotion on the app I have been working on for well over 5 years now. It's an audio player for Windows, called Spider Player, with a focus on simplicity and performance, still very ambitious in terms of features.
However, as I learned from polls and comments, it is most regarded by its users for its exceptional sound quality and Internet radio features.

You can learn more about it here: Spider Player - The Ultimate Music Player

I welcome you to go ahead and try it. It has a free version with lots of features. But the reason I'm writing this post, is of course the great value I can offer on the more advanced PRO version.

For Just One Day on July 10 Bits-du-Jour will be running a 50% OFF promotion on Spider Player PRO.

Here are the details of the promotion and PRO version highlights:
Spider Player PRO Software with a 50% off Discount Code - The Ultimate Music Player (and Recorder)!

Hope you'll like the program! I'd love to know what you think! Feel free to comment/ask questions here or on the promotion's page.

Thanks,
Vitaly

3zuli

does*the free version support 5.1 and 7.1 audio? and is it capable of converting standart stereo mp3s into 5/7.1 sound?
now I must get 5.1 sound card :D

Yes, it does.
In case it doesn't, it usually means something's wrong with your sound driver. Upgrading it may help.

Wow, I'm impressed! I really like everything about this, although, you should make it open source! ;)

Thanks! Glad you like it :)
Haven't heard about commercial open source players... have you? ;)
Will be posting a new version with some improvements later today, stay tuned :D

How does it cope with Optical audio? I've got my receiver connected to my onboard audio card on my motherboard and I can't make Foobar simulate stereo on all channels (especially on the rear speakers) on a 5.1 configuration. I'm looking for the same effect the 5 CH Stereo some receivers have.

noesc

I use spider to play my Laserboy .wav files to my soundcard dac and shoot laser beams :)

It works pretty good. :)

Just wish it had some good visuals support. Like G-Force @ soundspectrum.com

Been using spider for over a year now

@niko
sorry, can't comment on that. There is only one way to find out ;)

@noesc
Cool! Nice to know somebody from these forums has been using it already :)
Looks like G-Force can't capture what you hear either. I just found this post that suggests a workaround, but it isn't free :\

@niko
sorry, can't comment on that. There is only one way to find out ;)

@noesc
Cool! Nice to know somebody from these forums has been using it already :)
Looks like G-Force can't capture what you hear either. I just found this post that suggests a workaround, but it isn't free :\

I know you want me to try it, but I need to know first if it can somehow simulate a 5CH Stereo like on common receivers.

EDIT: Just tried it. Compared to Foobar it somehow lacks clarity though it isn't 'bad'. It seriously needs advanced options.
EDIT2: Even when I used the 32-bit simulation the audio quality didn't improve (I couldn't hear any difference).

In case you're wondering this was tested with a Sony STR-DB1070 and a pair of Crystal Acoustics TX-T2 with a PSW303 (no multimedia speakers here :p).

Last edited:
EDIT: Just tried it. Compared to Foobar it somehow lacks clarity though it isn't 'bad'. It seriously needs advanced options.
EDIT2: Even when I used the 32-bit simulation the audio quality didn't improve (I couldn't hear any difference).

In case you're wondering this was tested with a Sony STR-DB1070 and a pair of Crystal Acoustics TX-T2 with a PSW303 (no multimedia speakers here :p).
Nice setup! What I learned, the difference in sound is much more apparent in headphones. Even then 16-bit processing may be enough if you don't use equalizer or any DSP effects. The longer the chain of the applied effects, the further sound degrades at the end of the chain. However, increase the precision to 32-bit floating point and you get much better results.

What advanced features are you talking about? I know Foobar has quite a few features Spider doesn't. But the opposite is also true.

Nice setup! What I learned, the difference in sound is much more apparent in headphones. Even then 16-bit processing may be enough if you don't use equalizer or any DSP effects. The longer the chain of the applied effects, the further sound degrades at the end of the chain. However, increase the precision to 32-bit floating point and you get much better results.

What advanced features are you talking about? I know Foobar has quite a few features Spider doesn't. But the opposite is also true.

Indeed. I didn't try it with headphones because it's just not the way I listen to music here (I'm alone all day so nobody worries about volume).

I was talking about some more advanced features and options. Customization should prevail besides just skinning. Also, DSPs should be readily available on your website to make it easier for users to improve their sound quality without having to search for every single recommended DSP.

I don't use equalization, the speakers have a very flat response and the low SPL on the lower end of bass is taken care by the PSW303.

Oh, I see. It's a work in progress. Thanks for your feedback, nico.
BTW, did it play mp3s on all 5 speakers for you?

Last edited:
Oh, I see. It's a work in progress. Thanks for your feedback, nico.
BTW, did it play mp3s on all 5 speakers for you?

I didn't bother with mp3's, I only tried a 1 hour .ape file and some FLACs. They did not play on all 5 speakers. Keep in mind I have my receiver connected via optical connection and to use the 5.1 setup the stuff would need to be sent encoded. I don't know why there's no DSP (or internal setting) that allows me to do this yet, it should be fairly simple, it's only copying stereo to rear channels and center channel.