LPF Site Supporter
- May 9, 2011
Might wanna reread the thread Ben. The OP used two batteries instead of one and killed his laser.Sorry to hear it failed.
But 'smoke out of xxx' is often quite useful to find faults, it's certainly a lot better than just dying without any signs.
If the batteries are okay i'd say that the smoke came from the negative contact spring, board or switch burning out. They should send you a replacement - you did nothing outside of normal operations for the laser but it still burned out.
This stuff does happen - bad spring, bad solder joint, bad switch, but it's always the manufacturer that is to blame if it does as long as you're not doing anything you're not supposed to. Turning it up to full power definitely seems normal operations to me.
If i were Sanwu i'd also pay for the expenses of getting the defective part returned to see what actually burned out so this part of the design can be improved in the future.