Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got a 5mW red laser in the mail yesterday

No, it's not 100mw (note the "<"). While these pens are usually overspec they are no where near that powerful. To make it more powerful you could probably adjust the potentiometer if it has one, but usually all that does is kill the laser and I do not recommend it. If you bought it as a pointer then let's keep it that way.

It may be. I have a 650 pen that is ~120mW. Probably not, but there is a possibility. Make sure to keep it out of eyes and reflective surfaces (which you should do with all lasers, regardless of power).

It may be. I have a 650 pen that is ~120mW. Probably not, but there is a possibility. Make sure to keep it out of eyes and reflective surfaces (which you should do with all lasers, regardless of power).

Whoa, seriously?

What was it originally rated for? IMO this is why lasers might become a problem. People buy a low powered LP and end up blinding someone because it's overspec.

Pman

I have at least 30 of these and they are all over 100mW. It is VERY likely it is at least 100mW. They come focused to infinity which is why you think it isn't powerful. These are no joke and are very eye dangerous. Hope you haven't been shining the beam in anyone's eye including animals....

Are we now giving - REP for someone's first post? ....bleh....

Last edited:
I have at least 30 of these and they are all over 100mW. It is VERY likely it is at least 100mW. They come focused to infinity which is why you think it isn't powerful. These are no joke and are very eye dangerous. Hope you haven't been shining the beam in anyone's eye including animals....

Are we now giving - REP for someone's first post? ....bleh....

Wow, sorry. I knew these lasers were overspec but I didn't thing they were that overspec. (I own a few too, the ones I have are nowhere near 100mw)

kilter

You CANNOT DETERMINE THE POWER OF A LASER POINTER BY ASKING THIS:

" Hey guys! I have a laser! It's red, it says 100mw. Is it? "

Did you give any information?
Can it burn?
What can it burn?
Can you see the beam?
Where did you buy it?
Do you have real pictures of your real laser?

If you want to know the power of your laser, give us more details. Then, we can at least give a ballpark number. If you really want to know the exact power, send it off to someone trusted with an LPM.

Don't just post a stock picture and ask if it's on power.

Take a magnifying glass, color the tip of a match black, and focus the beam onto the match. If you can light the match, the laser is probably at least putting out 50mW

This is not a definitive measurement, but if the laser can melt black trash bags, pop balloons, etc. then it is well above an eye-safe level. I would not be surprised if it outputted around 100mW

Last edited: