Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good Morning America - Pointers

Calm down.. the people that I would feel best suited for such a task are all veterans and I think that the veteran's forum is the best place to lay down groundwork if it's going to happen at all. I think that's reasonable. I've declared my intentions clearly right here in public. If a substantial number of people were to request that all talk of this topic should be handled in the main forum then that's what'll happen. I just hope that other people here have some drive to try to organize into an entity such as you suggest. I think it's a good idea frankly, but I'm just me.. and really I don't think I'm the "leader" here that you had implied I might be. The community should have an opportunity to weigh in on this, but I'd like input from the people who have invested the most into this forum community first.

Secret_Squirrel__300.gif

The vets are on the case!

LSRFAQ

This offer of a olive branch can't be extended for much longer, you guys got to get back to me soon, before a certain person's tenure times out.

Steve

Rich Z

That is a statment that I live by;)

Seriously though, I fail to see the huge deal here, we have 12x diodes that can be pushed near 1W, now we have blues that can take 1W, that is a GOOD thing. Like I said before, the only people that will take them that high are people with the proper saftey knowledge and equipment. Average ppl are only gonna want a few hundred mW.

end quote.
I'm trying to educate here. Things like the green response fade for blue exposure. But the issue is NOT home builders as much as it is resellers.

Its a male thing, bigger numbers and higher prices are a masculine trait.
How soon will you be able to buy 400 mW of 445 in a pointer off ebay?. How soon will it be another vehicle illumination incident? How soon will we see another request in the safety thread for "How do I treat my Retinal Burn?"
I've responded to quite a few of the burn treatment requests, both on and off forum. Its time to put a stop to needless eye injuries.

Putting 500 mW for 200$ in the hands of the general public is this issue. It will happen with this wavelength, and soon. This wavelength is sexy. What you publish here gets read in China and noticed by pointer makers. Lasers are a easy source of Dollars, which are still worth far more then Chinese RMBI.

Go look at the thread on Maker Faire for the 250 mW laser harp plan that DOES NOT ONCE mention aiming 250 mW or more at your hand or face can be a hazard. As of last week its in the top 10 downloads on MF and has been at that level for some time. It was Cover Page on the Maker Faire written magazine, That person got the data to buy the laser from LPF, and the data on how to drive scanners from PL. If I had ANY idea he'd be that popular, without mentioning safety, I would have NEVER helped him pick a DAC chip.

Proliferation happens, and safety only comes from a culture of safety and education. The problem with the internet is you can select the parts you WANT to read.

Did you know that 405 and 445 are in the actinic light section of the ANSI MPE table and thus get a much smaller MPE ????

Here is a short primer on the subject...

Information for Therapists on Light Therapy and Retinal Damage

Primate Studies of intense blue light exposure show a hastening of aging related macular degeneration. Studies of eye surgeons using blue-green and violet from argon lasers show a degradation in green response that takes months to heal once the doctor switches wavelengths or stops using the deep blue beam. Those studies were done before the macular degradation studies.

Now you want to increase exposure to 405 and 445? Think about it, most new lighting systems are blue driven, be they CFLs or LED and now laser.

Once again I'm tiring of arguing. Why is 12X 405 good for anything other then EGO!

I didn't have to call Casio, I emailed some one else. The issue is now going through "proper" industry channels.
Steve

Sort of makes you wonder who exactly that "some one else" was...... ;)

Last edited: