Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

good method/tool for wiring diode pins?

Mannitu78

hello,
i just figuered out that it can be pretty tricky to attach a cable to the diode pins. How do you guys do that, with a regular soldering iron? I tried to look for some kind of wire connection/terminal, but i cant find anything with such a small diameter. Pins diameter seems to be about 0,3mm, but thats not very accurate.

You don't want an intermittent connection so it's better to solder than use any kind of socket as a permanent installation.

1st press your diode into your module which is usually a 12mm and then I use a clothes pin with a weight to hold the module and attach wires or a driver, it's best to tin your wires 1st and brace your hands against your workbench.

When attaching a driver I like to bend one pin up and the other down so the driver is held in place,but press your diode into your module before bending the pins and don't over work your pins or they will break, practice on dead diodes, it's easy once you get the knack.

SANY2066.JPG

SANY6193.JPG
SANY6189.JPG

Last edited:

Mannitu78

nah, i cant attach it directly, its pressed into module already and i have to wire a few centimeters of cable through the module. It got them attached, but its kind of nooby and not stable. I dont even have a shrinktube small enough. Id really appriciate some kind of clamp or terminal. Soldering a wire to that diode is no fun or mabye im just not that good at soldering.

Hi,
Diode sockets are for just testing a diode for a certain Amp required. Sockets are used to test a diode in a heat sink with a PSU.
This is what I do to test a diode for efficiency before it drops off. Practice on soldering two wires together use soldering flux to prep the wire first you will get the hang of it take your time. This is how mine come out with practice .
Rome wasn't built in a day, And dont tell me they worked at night.779C2AA1-0178-4C5A-82F2-03A185A43297_1_105_c.jpegC52A9B01-9646-4D59-8734-0F54C345B440_1_105_c.jpeg
Rich:)

It also depends on the quality of your soldering station or iron. I have a couple of temperature controlled stations.... the best is a reflow station that can be set anywhere from 0 degrees C up to 500 degrees C. A cheap iron is your worst enemy.