Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good idea to buy 40 watt Laserscope?

blrock

I've been tempted for years to buy a laserscope. I see they pop up on ebay for $1500-$2000 from time to time, fully operational. I'd be one happy man if I had a 40 watt greenie:)

Is it worth buying or a bad idea? Does anyone have one?

PS: I only want 40 watts because I semi-played(got to touch it and push a button) with a 30 Watt argon and if was mind blowing! Never thought you could "illuminate" a city like that!

Last edited:

Trevor

They're absurdly dangerous and touchy. It's no mean feat converting one over to work in a projector or a similar device. If you just want to play with many watts of green, a LaserScope probably isn't for you. :p

-Trevor

Not worth the risk. The power supplies, lamp assemblies, and the secondary output are all enough to either kill you, or severely and permanently injure you.

Not only do you need experience around high power 1064nm light, you will need a thorough explanation about how the system operates, and how to troubleshoot the electronics, (The lamp circuitry can carry up to 35A at 165V) optics, and control logic circuitry.

After that point, you need a way to safely integrate the assembly into a system you want to use it in by ensuring that you have proper variances and clearances to run the thing outdoors.

If you use the thing outdoors without any previous laser projection experience, you put the public at danger. If you run the thing indoors, you put yourself, and the building in danger.

The beam exits wide and uncollimated, so you will need to remove the fiber launch assembly and re-route the beam into a proper telescope.

The laserscope is useful for zapping warts, and killing yourself.

Without all of the above, the device is otherwise useless until you get an operating manual for $$$.

If you seriously plan to pursue this, there are some people I can introduce you to, that you should really talk to first.

I don't know, can't know, and won't question your intentions (because that would be "offensive"), but I can only remind you that there is not much of a good reason for any one man to have control (or lack thereof) over such a large quantity of photons.

I'm not purposely trying to discourage you, but really, there are many men who would rather see a laserscope destroyed than to see one get into the hands of a self-proclaimed laser hobbyiest- myself included.

Save your money for a unique CNI DPSS unit!

I'm not purposely trying to discourage you, but really, there are many men who would rather see a laserscope destroyed than to see one get into the hands of a self-proclaimed laser hobbyiest- myself included.

how discouraging. but it does speak volumes as to how dangerous this laser is.

Ask anyone on photonlexicon and they will say no. And they are right. Unless you have lots of experience and are a professional that has an actual use for the laser, you should NOT buy it. They are not something to buy just to have fun with. They are extremely dangerous.

A laserscope is not something you can just "play around" with.

In addition to the optical hazards, they are hard to maintain and operate. If you need anymore reasons not to buy one, head on over to photonlexicon.

ARG

Anyone mind explaining what a laser scope is?

ARG

Oh, thanks. I couldn't find anything on google.

40W greenie? Gotta be joking.

Just go to CPF, get a 100W or so short-arc by DIY or something, much safer and seriously you get around the same effect. I think you can spot a 4 mile cloud with a 1 watt greenie?

Correction on the safer part, just because it is not a laser so guys think it is safe, somebody tries to stare even at the spill for a decent period of time (think it goes down to UV-C), gone case.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...T-JUST-ANOTHER-THOR-MOD-!!-(the-Maxablaster!)

If you don't need portability, about 1k plus gets you a 7kW skytracker or something. All are perfectly legal. I think they have 15kW, by then it gets pretty dangerous too actually. :p Pls do not even stare at the spill light for any period of time.

Last edited: