Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good 7" Tablet?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I have been looking for a good 7" tablet recently and had sort of settled on a Google Nexus 7 until I found this:

Newegg.ca - ASUS MeMO Pad HD7 Tablet - Quad-Core 1GB DDR3 RAM 16GB Flash 7" IPS 1280x800 WiFi, GPS - Blue Color (ME173X-A1-BL)

It's about $70 less than the Nexus. Anyone here have one? :D It seems that the major difference is that's it's slightly less powerful, which is fine for me, as I won't be playing games on it or anything. ;) Just wonder if I have missed any other shortcomings.

I'll only be using it for email, web, YouTube, Skype, and music/videos, so I don't need it to be able to game or anything that high end.

ped

Just had one in the shop for repair, seemed good (broken screen) .

Asus make the Nexus anyway so its all much of a muchness.

I've used/owned both, and I would advise you to stick with the Nexus 7. The MeMo pad is much lower quality in terms of build and hardware. Nexus 7 is like the iPad of android tablets, its very robust in terms of specifications and build.

And even if you aren't playing games, the extra power that the Nexus 7 has means it won't be obsolete in a year like the MeMo would be.

I currently have a the nexus 7 2013. Its great and everything works, and it is customizable as far as ROM's etc..

I would go with a nexus 7. Got one for my mother a while back, I have used it some, and it is great. And now that the 2nd generation is out, you can get a 1st gen (which is the one I was talking about) for cheap. I think the new version was a little faster, and had a rear facing camera. Pretty sure those were the two main differences.

IWIRE

I can't comment on the Asus . Except I know they have came a long way in a fairly short time, and they build a quality product. That's why they build the Nexus 7.

I do have a 2nd Gen Nexus 7. I love it, it's handy for emails, paying bills, streaming music to my various speakers. I'm running the Cyanogenmod ROM and it operates flawless. I'm not sure how I functioned before smart phones and tablets :)

rhd

I have the Samsung Note 2 7"

It seems good enough. I've used it twice in six months. I can't for the life of me figure out what it's for. Allegedly tablets have a purpose, but nobody has been able to explain to me what that purpose is. My phone does everything better and more conveniently.

Tablets are good for doing everything you do on your phone that isn't talking, but doing it on a larger screen, lol. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWIRE

I use my tablet mainly because the battery life is so much better than my phone. I listen to music a lot, It works really good to stream music to my Bose speaker when I'm outside or my Sonos when I'm inside. The Bose is bluetooth and really drains my phones battery. The tablet lasts all day.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk