Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Global locations for members

Hi, Every time I check out a new comer or even some that were here for a while,Very rare that they tell us where they are from . They can add that to their avatar. Well sorry for this but its one of my pet peeves and it bugs me , I just dont get it why is it an issue.

Rich:)

I'd guess it's mostly members who've not read the sticky threads at all - In general I see new threads where it's the poster's first - screams to me that they've not scanned through the sticky threads about introductions...

Hi Immo,
Yes thats almost like walking through the front door of some ones house and not knocking first and introducing your self.
Global locations are important because there are many laws and restrictions. And also has to do with Buy,Sell and Trade of certain thinkgs..

GSS

It's seems at times they have a paranoia like we are going to show up at their front doors trying to sell them stuff:rolleyes:
We get the why do you need to know my location answers too. Which yes comes from not reading the stickies. I'm to the point of not even helping them when it happens. How many more times can we post "because it makes it easier to guide you"(n)

HiGSS,
Yes and when they post their location I'm going to send over an Avon representative to sell them stuff LOL !!
That will teach them..

Reckon if any of us were peddlers of MLM crap that'd be pretty incompatible with a laser hobby... Can't have any money for lasers if we'd filled a garage with overpriced essential oils or random makeup 🤣

Nobody's going to be tracked down if they only wrote their country - and that's all that's needed to help properly!

GSS

It's also like just saying they are in the US someone is going to get their banking info too:giggle:

Elyekim

Maybe someone could change the registration process to have the new users choose their country, even state if they'd like. Could make some sort of drop down menu... 🤔

GSS

It's not a bad idea but thinking it would scare members away more??:unsure:
Not sure if it's legal also.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
IP address alone gives this unless using a VPN. Should be acceptable to put location on signup if possible.

You all are correct...

AT LEAST a general location should be given if only to show respect.

I have started 'trying' to be nicer and PMing them.. one new member said he could NOT give that up....because ' I don't like the way that Google tracks our locations'

what?
Bet he was wearing a tin foil hat.

If I could change anything I wanted in this new forum it would be 'bringing back' our 'given' location under the avatar.

Once the intro is posted (IF posted) its kinda too late to get the new member to add his location in profile AND intro Title.. MYB one out of two.

Pretty sure you can edit title-- if NOT we should happy with a second (or more)intro--no matter how long it has been.

AND-- we have members that move a LOT. and a short thread in Welcome/newcomers is one way to let us know where you are now.
(hk is 532 w/envy)

One thing IMO that helps to keep us here and active IS meeting members in person..put a face on the username.. show 'n tell.
Try before you buy-- lots of that at SELEM BS&T room ==especially in the last hours .. really good deals..

At LEMs two things always happen--there is no lack of laser topics to discuss AND nobody ever asks:
''WHY Lasers?"

I get a lot of positive feedback from telling the new members that 'we meter freely'..

I am sure they new members really appreciate all the kind greetz. I encourage them to become greeters..

IMHO is the best section to help the forum and members while building your post count.
Searched 'Rominia' and found 'Robert' username Robylaser 'I love lasers' he sez--but -- he is a hit an run- last visit April.

PMed 'Roby' about the other Romanian new member- who sent me a PM all in Romanian
lol...

think he wanted to know the diff of all the 'array gball 'diodes--

hk

Elyekim

It's not a bad idea but thinking it would scare members away more??:unsure:
Not sure if it's legal also.
Country can be required
State can be optional

There's no good reason not to say what country you're from, that's just being way too protective.
Should be a little note near the selection box explaining why we'd like their location. I know some sites use peoples IP addresses to find their location and automatically have it on their profile.

It should probably ding the user every so often, telling them that they should "Add their location" and also tell them why.

MYB if a bit less attention to necros and double posts and more to the 'lack of locations' can help, we would be spending time in a more useful manner. I am guilty of that but have shifted to PMs and other approaches to get coop.

I like the post by Ely. We have been talking about the pros and cons on this issue .. We will forever get locations like 'earth' and not much can be done about that. But any improvement with the majority of new members is progress. We already have great threads/posts on these topics but how many lurkers read them is unknown.... for sure not all. With all the 'data breaching' lately worrying about LPF is senseless.
BUT IMHO mandatory info on location is just as bad. AND 'outing' new members is an awful idea. In my PMs I assure them that giving location is totally their choice and we will never post that w/o the 'blessing' of the member-- I will NOT ask them why.. as that too is not our/ my biz.

In my PMs I tell the new members that our Admin is very protective of the forum and is a pro internet security engineer.

AND allowing minors to join w/o us knowing DOB is a bad practice.. And what is in the TOS may as well not be there at all. We all know it is hardly ever even skimmed.
AND...there are lots of valid reasons for some type of location- hands-on help....-free LPM use.. LEMs.....buying AFTER seeing anything we sell.

This really 'hits home' when a loved member passes-- I am still seeking info on Rob Banas.. I may resort to calling the local Post Office.
The police may be helpful. Just ask for a welfare check. Its done all the time. I once knew of a 'locate site' that would give =names and phone #s of neighbors. I did that and got instant help from my buddies neighbors..a lady in same building one floor down knew Keith and that he was very nice and recently moved to Florida. ( I did find and had a super on-line visit , followed by spending some time with Keith. and his family...the Even a real estate agent may be helpful. A record of death cert. MUST be on file someplace.
A part of me does not want to know what happened to 'Pheonix'.
sad
hk

Hi,
Location and age is a plus other wise its like responding to a ghost and really know nothing about them. They might add Hi I am a radio tech or some other occupation , but age and location really needs to be accounted for here at LPF.