Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Glassblowing

Kudos to 10F --art glass blowing is God-awful HOT work-risky-sweaty-dangerous--- and one day of trying was all I needed to see it was not for me..

and some of the stuff you do make breaks while cooling down in a kiln--bummer..

Last edited:
My further exerсise in glasswork. A new neck is welded to a flask instead of a broken one, a big dephlegmator made of blank glass tube. the T-joint is not as perfect as I'd like it to be but it is pressure-tight and it didn't break after cooling down.

Attachments

• DSCN3678.JPG
    DSCN3678.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3679.JPG
    DSCN3679.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN3680.JPG
    DSCN3680.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN3681.JPG
    DSCN3681.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN3682.JPG
    DSCN3682.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 72

ev23

My further exerсise in glasswork. A new neck is welded to a flask instead of a broken one, a big dephlegmator made of blank glass tube. the T-joint is not as perfect as I'd like it to be but it is pressure-tight and it didn't break after cooling down.

Nice! Scientific glass work is not easy! I've been working with glass for about 12 years now and its mostly what I do as a profession. I work with soft glass a majority of the time both at the furnace and on the torch but have a lot of experience with borosilicate and some with quartz as well and tons of cold-working (grinding/cutting/polishing for those who don't know) experience as well. Lately though I've been experimenting with making my own batch and trying a lot of different dopants, mostly rare earths to explore the range of effects on the finished glass. I've gotten some interesting results from color changing glasses to various types of fluorescence and a few batches that I might be able to use as laser rods if everything went right in the melt! Would love to be able to build a laser literally from scratch some day. Glad I came across this thread and keep at the glass work! its a steep learning curve but it does get easier with time and experience