Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gizmodo advertise WL 445nm Spyder III

Asherz

Don't think I have posted this yet, but Wicked must be flooded with views and orders, the new 445nm laser was just posted on the homepage of the Gizmodo gadget website.

The good news is that they seem to emphasize quite a bit on the safety, good move on WL's behalf posting the safety issues in the products description.

Shame it probably won't keep all the tits and douches in the world from abusing this new found technology. I guess we can hope :)

http://gizmodo.com/5560206/the-spyder-iii-pro-arctic-is-a-real-life-lightsaber

That would explain why the site has been down for the past few hours... I see new laser laws in the next year, or two.

No wonder their site is slower than thick crap through a funnel. More publicity may be good for WL business, it's not good for our hobby...

I was pissed enough at WL for putting a 1W HANDHELD laser on sale for 200. They don't sell anything for 200! Well, there is that 0.005W Blu-ray, but who's gonna buy that when you can get 1W of blue? Green's a great color and has been around for a while. You can get a laser that is 0.3W of green for $1,200.00, or 1W of blue for $200. Something's not right...

But now you are going to go and call this a "real life lightsabre"?!?! Now, even MORE people know about these! I could care less if you build your own, because you have to know some about lasers to build one. But for these, you just need $200 and you have the power to burn clothing, singe skin, cause instant, irreversible damage to other people's retinae, the list can go on.

I'm sorry, but these are bad news. It's like selling a .177 Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for $500, and putting right next to it a .50 Barrett M82A for $75. These people who wouldn't harm much else besides squirrels and moles are now shooting holes through houses and cars because they got the .50 for cheaper.

Well, at least I live in the land of the free, where laws take 2 or 3 years to come into effect. Besides, what aer they gonna do, ban Casio Projectors?

jeffd

This isn't good for us laser enthusiast. I dont like how they described the laser as a weapon. They should have described it as "a peice of technology that must be handled with the utmost responsibility, and handled as if it were a weapon" or something like that.

The CDRH is a subdivision of the FDA which handles lasers (mostly medical) This would fall into their ballpark. They have already approved this projector for sale in the US. They will not be reversing their decision (although they may consider ease of diode extraction in future decisions). Anyone could have purchased these diodes for the last couple years. The price has always just been out of reach for most. Whether laser pointer builders source their diodes from a projector, a Blu-ray burner, a dvd burner, or directly from a laser diode manufacturer is up to them. The end product that the laser producer creates with that laser diode is what the CDRH is going to be interested it. If the producer (in this case WL) is outside of the US then they cannot do anything except try to stop the lasers from getting into the US. Where has this outrage been hiding? It isn't like high powered lasers haven't been available before. We all know where to get 500mW green lasers, 800mW violet lasers, 300mW red laser, 1-5 watt handheld IR lasers!!!

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

1. $200 for a 1W laser is idiotic. These things are a safety issue and should be sold at a much higher price, regardless of build cost, to keep them out of the hands of idiots.
  2. $200 for a 1W laser is awesome and I just ordered one. I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do with it though as the thought of it scares the hell out of me. My initial test will probably be in the basement with the windows closed, long shirt & pants, and a pair of ARG OD7 goggles over my eyes.

I'm sure WL is kicking themselves for pricing it so low initially. They could've easily doubled it and people (maybe not us) would've paid that.

I believe they're raising the price to 600$+ as we speak... The videos of the people who got the cheap ones will actually get them many more sales. I'm sure that was their stategy from the begining... They've already told a few members here that was a "special introductory price".

They've already told a few members here that was a "special introductory price".

That's not true. Where have you heard that?

Also, you guys are unbelievable. When you get what you want, you complain. What the hell?

Look in the other thread 2 people have said the customer service people they talked to on the phone said the price was changing, and that that was just an introductory price.

aryntha
Just talked to WL. Looks like the price *is* going to go up. Their site is down right now, and I have been told that this was an "introductory price", and that the price will "definitely go up".

This is what I got from them on the phone not more than five minutes ago.

kingdave
Yeah thats what they told me on the phone earlier today, introductory price promo, and they are going to change it, supposedly thats why the site is down, because they are changing it, even when it comes up on the homepage you still cant order it or even click the arctic link.

Well, the guy kept his word and just called back 5min ago, he said I can get the 10% off through him with the phone order and asked if I wanted it, and of course I said YES!!! So he said he will take care of it, and it should ship in a little over a week. No confirmation email yet, but you could tell how busy he was, he was talking to atleast 3 other people when he called me and kept answering and telling ppl to hold.

Just glad mine is in, hopefully before the price change, but he said it is good. I gave WL this second chance to leave me a satisfied customer, and I hope I am, this sounds like the coolest laser ever, lol

Not to descredit your theory which very well may be true, but CS you talk to on the phone will tell you all kinds of conflicting info and shouldn't be viewed as a solid source, I'd trust the owner of the company that niko has been talking to a lot more

Yeah, I do to. There was just a lot of confusion with this conflicting info. I was just showing him where I saw it. Sorry Niko.

Asherz

That's not true. Where have you heard that?

Also, you guys are unbelievable. When you get what you want, you complain. What the hell?

Understand what your saying, and we are a bunch of unappeasable guys, just wish it was a relativity unknown company that was selling it for this price.

Oh well, I guess it's no more of an issue that green pointers being sold for $200. I still am happy that Wicked is releasing at these prices as it's a great laser. There's always two sides to things though.