Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Gitd MS-SSW

Doing the final coat at 4 today. Get ready for more pictures. With beamshots. Thanks again guys. Thanks offroadfreak and pman for the tips and inspiration

Pman

I've got lots of powder that I haven't used so I think I will experiment with this today.
Did you use clear 5 minute epoxy?
How long would you say it took to apply that first layer?
What does the unit look like with the lights on?

Messing around with epoxy all the time as I do I wouldn't think it would be very difficult at all to pick it off the higher ridges mainly because it is not making a bond to something else unless you end up with an issue where it comes out of the recess./grooves.

Certainly looks great!

Just tried a quick experiment using the cheap A/B clear epoxy that Harbor Freight sells and it works very well. Main issue is that it is 5 minute epoxy which gives you very little working time so if you were going to do more than a couple rings you would waste a lot of powder and epoxy unless you just slathered it all over and then removed the excess.
Used a new razor blade to remove the extra thickness and any that got on the raised edges on either side and it really came out great. Looks just like what yours does tmack with nice sharp refined edges (no "over-spray"). Of course you might not want to use a razor depending upon the material;)
You must have ordered a significant amount of powder if you are going to fill the grooves completely:)

Last edited:
The method I used was like spitting on your finger and cleaning a bead of caulk. Apply it to the whole area and wipe away with a wet cloth. Honestly it took less than 20 min doing it this way. I couldn't imagine putting it in every groove. I used my finger by the end to just smear it all around, and it stays even in the small grooves of this host when wiping away. Very easy. With the lights on it a very faint translucent line in the grooves. Hardly noticeable at all. And the shadows of the grooves make it look like it's not even there. You would never notice it unless you were told or actually turned the lights out. The glow time on this color is good too. I left it to dry for a while came back to it still glowing. Having this many lines makes charging the glow areas evenly a challenge, but the pen you gave me working great

Last edited:

Pman

I'll have to try it using your method. Mine is not quick and there's too much waste.
You must have "unfocused" the pen so you could get a big spot or taken the head right off. Works great if you just remove the head completely (just try to remember about the spring in there);)
You can see how useful my little pen focusing "trick" is now. Just treat the epoxy bonds with a little respect and it will stay together very well. I've only had one come apart on me and that was because I dropped it while the head was unscrewed a bit.

Last edited:
I took it a part and ran to my gf. She said 'that looks like something you would do' lol. She watched me make a potato gun from a fire extinguisher, a clothing rack, lantern igniter etc. She knows my ghetto rigging capabilities. Your work with the pen is far from rigging though. I just love making a functional toy without leaving the basement and buying nothing. I will fabricate a way to do something in hours when I could easily go buy the part.. Just because. And I love people's reactions when Frankenstein comes to life!

NKO29

It's Beautiful, and when you said the fire extinguisher thing i immediately thought of myself haha :p I love bodging things together to make cool things :evil:

I ordered one Oz. And still have half left for the second coat. I did waste a fair amount being my first time doing anything like this.

Pman

I tried the way you did it and frankly I stunk at it. The real issue was I used a lint free cloth. Big mistake as it is like using raised carpet and it wipes away most of the GITD. Needed to use something with no raised edges. I'm a stupid head;)

Will say that the more you get in the grooves the better and more even it will look for sure. The one I originally did was pretty much perfect but this takes a lot of GITD to do depending upon how deep and wide the grooves are. DUH!
GITD is kind of expensive but this is all relative to how much you've already spent on a unit.
I need to redo the grooves in my focusing cap for my "Lazerbeak special" today for sure.
I've had too much time to think up new projects and there never seems to be enough time to mess around. Shocking how time flies when messing with this stuff.

Last edited:
Use a Wet cloth when wiping away. I used a baby wipe and it was perfect. Just enough moisture to smooth the mixture and not lift it at all. Just like when you spit on your finger to smooth caulk joint. The second coat will be a challenge because I plan to make the gitd almost level with the peak of the grooves. I'll have to be precise as I only have half ounce left.

Last edited:

Pman

Got it!
What kind and "minute" epoxy did you try/use?

Wow. it looks even better on a real screen! ( I only had my phone before).. :drool:

I can't express how impressed i am. That truly is a thing of beauty!:gj: :takeit:

Just.... Wow! :):):):) Amazing.

Well done dude! :gj:

I was thinking about the dilemma of mixing powders into 2 part epoxy/silicon and i thought if you mixed the powder in with part A at a ratio of 3parts powder to the sum of both parts of the epoxy.
And then mixed the second part of the epoxy into the PartA/powder mix. that way you should get a nice consistency. And you can make sure the powder is properly mixed in.

and you only need to mix an amount of partA with the powder once, e.g. make 10g powder/part a mix in a pot, for a 10g pot of the mix you would need 2.5g partB/Hardener for the whole pot...

or did i just over complicate things a bit...:thinking:

...... . I scientifically dumped "some powder out and proceeded to precisely" squirt some epoxy from the dual syringe and ever so skillfully "mixed" the crap in a circular motion until the consistency was like the periodic table element "mayo" lol then spread like butter and wipe away with a baby wipe lol. Nothing special going on in this brain my friend :)

Lol I'm honored pman. Man I can't wait to get home to put on that second coat. I need to get it perfect for the top coat as far as no fuzz from the cloth and total coverage. I'm thinking because I've got my base down I can ease up on the powder to give me more viscosity so I can get nice smooth finish. If it's not as opaque it's OK because the layers underneath are there. But I don't want to loose any of the glow I've already achieved. I'll have to take some time to think instead of just diving in as usual :)