Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ghetto Greenie

Hey all, not much to say here, i got bored and decided that im tired of buying AAA batteries.... i used mostly parts from the bottom of my tool box :shhh:

7512-imag0145.jpg

i started by tearing the laser down to the module (not going to say how, it was brutal and im glad the laser survived) i then took the plastic shell off of the driver simply by sliding it off, i put a mound of glue in the center of the shell and slid it over the top where the button is, thus locking it into place and holding the button down. i had to get creative as i dont have a soldering gun at home.

7508-finished.jpg

i used a terminal block from an old semi-hermetic compressor to hold the battery, for the + side of the battery i used a terminal set screw and a spring to make it easier to replace. i have a stay-con on this screw as well with a wire going directly to the case.

7511-imag0146.jpg

i complete the circuit with a salvaged alligator clip and a SP/ST switch i had sitting around. a little glue and Bam. so now instead of 2 AAA in series i have 1 RCR123... everything was pretty much already sitting in my junk drawer (except the laser and the Batteries).

Beamage
this happens to be focusable though the manufacturer did not originally intend for it to be.

7510-imag0144.jpg

7513-imag0156.jpg

LPM

7509-64mw-after-about-minute.jpg

it takes about a minute, maybe less, to warm up its peaked at around 71 mW but usually will stay at 64 mW for a good while before dropping out to around 40 ~ 50 mW.....
So thats what happens when i get bored :yh: Thanks for checking out my Ghetto Greenie. for the record i have better materials i just wanted to see if i could pull this off with the stuff i save from work. ive also created a liquid sky scanner with an old c-frame motor i rebuilt and a front surface mirror. once i scavenge more parts ill post pics. :beer:

Dan.

Last edited:

9Ring

Awesome inginuity!!

Surprisingly bright for 71mw. (WinK)

I broke down Dan......my laserbee is coming by friday i hope.

Dude that's awesome! Make sure you read all the instructions on the cd before you even un-wrap it.

It's pretty sturdy too. I'm going to mount it in an altoids tin.
Just as soon as I'm done eating the altoids. This is of course in adherence with "ghetto" standards.

Nice build. If I had a host hanging around I would definitely have used it.

Thanks fellas! Ive been using it to power my other overspec pen as well, although I don't have to destroy it to do so.