Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GB blueray, aixiz -vice advice

I know there are some members out there that have already built a blyray, I am making a housing for one of the GB ones.
My question is, when used in an aixiz module how far in/out does the lens holder end up?  The reason for asking is that I have a piece of stainless tube which is a perfect fit for CR123a batteries, but it will be too short for my needs if the aixiz lens is only wound in a couple of turns......

Regards rog8811

Re: GB blueray & aixiz

Ok so no-one has one......well I have looked at any photo's I could find and taken a flyer in the hope that it will fit....see my new thread.

Regards rog8811

I took my dead(ish) BR diode and tried to put it in there. It's a little hard to get in all the way, but you should get a close idea. I estimate it's sticking out about 1.5mm. I guess it will depend on whether you stick the diode in 100% or just go for the very tight fit and leave it like I did.
aixiz.jpg

Thanks marks, that has raised an issue I had not considered...I had assumed that the BR LD was a standard can that fits right into the Aixiz module...I may need to mod my housing, there is no room for it to stick out of the back....

Regards rog8811

Gazoo

Rog - It is exactly the same size as other diodes..it went right in my aixiz module.

If you don't get it pressed in all the way you may have focus problems.
I've been taking great advantage of [Daedal's?] suggestion of using the back half of the module reversed, and put in a vise to press the diode into the front piece. Mine also went right in doing it that way. (Although it was a bit tighter than the PS3 mounting it came out of.)

Phew, I am glad it is as I first thought...just a push in.

Thanks for the input guys, I am still in good shape for when the sleds arrive:)

Regards rog8811

Good luck.
I had a HECK of a time getting the BR diode to fit into an old lens/heatsink cheapo I had lying around. I remember I read on that other forum that bans people for breathing funny that others had the same issue. I broke down and took this really scary metal cutting spike-like dremel bit I've got and widened the hole and it works. I'll probably have to use a weak-ish glue or other means of holding it in place so the heat sink compound can do its job. I guess I should consider getting a small vise. Any recommendations for those of us without a proper workbench? Small and reasonably priced?

Speaking of the housings, I have the 'standard" 12 x 30 from aixiz, and also the mini one, http://mfgcn.com/_wsn/page2.html in the upper left corner. Too small to absorb sufficient heat? I like it because it's smaller, doesn't have the same bulky focussing apparatus, and I don't have to risk scratching the lens when cutting out that black plastic cap on the inside, so it will let all the light through.

If it comes to it I have made a "D" bit for cutting LD housings I can always run that in to clean up the Aixiz if it is too tight.
I will need to make a press tool for this one as well, if you look at the brass housing, the aixiz is soldered into the front so pressing in, though do'able will not be as easy as previous builds....

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• module01_001.jpg
    module01_001.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 92

Gazoo

Zarniwoop said:
If you don't get it pressed in all the way you may have focus problems.
I've been taking great advantage of [Daedal's?] suggestion of using the back half of the module reversed, and put in a vise to press the diode into the front piece. Mine also went right in doing it that way. (Although it was a bit tighter than the PS3 mounting it came out of.)

The diode is soft glued into the PS3 heatsink! I was able to push it out using the tips of my fingernails on my thumbs. No cutting, or anything..it is the easiest diode I have run across for extracting. I had more trouble removing the mylar from the diode than anything else. Other than that....it was a piece of cake. :)

I have always used Daedal's suggestion for pressing the diode in to a standard Aixiz module or Meredith adapter. It really does require a vice IMO to get the diode in all of the way without damaging it. But the smaller Aixiz module is different as the diode is recessed a bit, so a small nut driver or anything else one can come with is necessary to get the diode in all of the way.

@marks47
Someone posted the mini module is glued together. And yes, I think it is too small except for maybe the blu-ray's as far as heat goes. I have the next size up, the 9mm ones and they are awesome. But they are not the greatest for dissipating heat either.

Kenom

For those of you looking for a vice to fit into your "Workbench" but don't have the workbench and have limited space here is the perfect solution.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3311
it's articulated so you can move it into pretty much any configureation. It's small enough to not take up a lot of room, cheap enough it's not breaking the bank, and wide enough it does work with the modules and mounting the LD's into them. Not to mention they come with rubber clamp pads to prevent damage to your lights when trying to get the head off it! Those rubber pads just come right off! Suction isn't too great unless your working on a glass surface or tile that's big enough to fit the thing entirely.

Kenom

WOW! I SO TOTALLY JACKED YOUR THREAD!!  lol I'm sure when I get my blue ray that I will use the same old way I normally do and it will fit right on in.  but I also use some antec silver thermal grease to give it a littel "lubrication" Cept instead of using the back of a module to press it in I still use a nut driver. It's been my experience that sometimes the back end of the modules get bent when put in the vice and doesn't press fit the diode all the way in.

Not a problem Kenom, I got the answers I needed :)....If it helps people that have no idea of what tools are available to them all the better.
We are all here to help each other, it works well!

Regards rog8811

I ended up using a pair of pliers set on the wider adjustment.
I put some thick, double-sided hobby tape as padding for the PCB/solder points on the pins to protect them and it went in nicely. TIGHT, but nicely. I suppose a thin, dry sponge would work well, too.