Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Garage Machine Shop: open for business

Hello LPF, it has been a long time since I have posted, having taken a break from the hobby for some time. In that time, I have been pretty fortunate to acquire a garage and a solid assortment of manual machining tools: full-size knee mill Lagun FTV-2, precision lathe Monarch 10ee, engine lathe for bigger projects, horizontal band-saw, and all the assorted measuring and inspection equipment. Also have a metal melting foundry & sand-casting stuff. I had found that for some reason all my hobbies ended up with me needing to machine or make stuff out of metal, so naturally I adopted a new hobby of machining to support those other hobbies. I'm no expert but am learning quickly how to machine parts & hold tight tolerances to a few ten thousandths.

Long story short, I'm interested in helping people with their various projects who may need help building or machining stuff! Feel free to shoot me a PM or post in this thread if you have a project that you need help with & we will discuss a fee that makes sense. Here's a pic of a tetrahedon I machined out of a copper ingot that I had cast a while back, Cheers!

Attachments

• mill.JPG
    mill.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 14
  • monarch.JPG
    monarch.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 14
  • tetrahedron.JPG
    tetrahedron.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 15

I was looking at some stuff at the government auctions, could be some deals in your area so you can pick it up, most don't do shipping.

I was looking at some stuff at the government auctions, could be some deals in your area so you can pick it up, most don't do shipping.

LeBlonde lathes are solid & that would be a great one for someones garage. Mine is maxed out, no way my wife would allow another lathe in there!

Nice garage hobby support machine shop.
The foundry capacity in addition to the machines make it all the more interesting.
The metal casting and 3D printer really work well together, & open up some pretty cool possibilities.

Man, if you could make 1:1 replicas of WL arctic hosts.......That would be cool!

Had a customer needing very small precise parts. They are for an optical assembly, not sure exactly what (top secret)Components.JPGPrototype.JPGPrototype 2.JPG

That mill makes my Sherline look like a toy. I wish I had the space for bigger machines.
That tetrahedron is pretty slick. Makes me wonder what kind of fixture you made for holding it...

That mill makes my Sherline look like a toy. I wish I had the space for bigger machines.
That tetrahedron is pretty slick. Makes me wonder what kind of fixture you made for holding it...
It was kind of tricky. I milled 1 side flat then superglued it to a sacrificial piece of aluminum. Then milled the other 3 sides on a rotary table. Superglue softens at elevated temperatures so I hit it with a blow torch and it came right off.