Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G-Ball Adjustable Lens Adapter - Focus Fixed Lens Laser Diodes

G-Ball Adjustable Lens Adapter

Add adjustable focus to your fixed lens "G-Ball" laser diodes. This adapter will thread on to most standard diode modules that accept M9 x .5 lenses. You can now use an adjustable lens to correct the focus of your laser diode. Most standard M9 x .5 lenses are compatible.

Features Include:
  • Solid Brass Construction - 12mm W x 15mm L
  • Integrated Wideband Glass De-Collimator (G-2) Lens
  • Compatible w/ Most M9 x .5 Lenses and Diode Modules
  • Converts Your Fixed Focus aka G-Ball Lens Laser Diode into an Adjustable Focus Beam
  • Extend the Life of Your Laser Diode by Not Removing the Attached Lens
Available through my website, ebay or just PM me on LPF

Could this adapter be used for example with a g8 and a 3E lens on a diode with gballs lens removed? I mean if i screw the G8 on the diode 's copper host thread to maximize the beam concentration as i would do if the G8 was used stand alone, then use the adapter and then a 3E lens, could the concentration tighten significantly to a more 'dot' like beam?

Could this adapter be used for example with a g8 and a 3E lens on a diode with gballs lens removed? I mean if i screw the G8 on the diode 's copper host thread to maximize the beam concentration as i would do if the G8 was used stand alone, then use the adapter and then a 3E lens, could the concentration tighten significantly to a more 'dot' like beam?
You would need 3 lenses to accomplish that. I don't think the beam shaping would be much better if at all.

So what's the exact use of this product? How exactly improves the beam? Is the beam pattern "tighter" than a simple 3E on a non g ball diode? I d love to see a comparison with photos of beam pattern between a simple lens setup vs with this one attached!

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
So what's the exact use of this product? How exactly improves the beam? Is the beam pattern "tighter" than a simple 3E on a non g ball diode? I d love to see a comparison with photos of beam pattern between a simple lens setup vs with this one attached!
Dude read the description. It allows you to add a focusing lens without having to have to remove the gball lens from the diode. Frickin hell...

A "G-Ball" diode such as a NUBM08 or NUGM03 has a fixed collimator lens attached directly to the diode. The focus cannot be adjustable without either removing the attached lens or using an array of lenses. This adapter allows you to easily use an adjustable lens of your choice to allow focusing of the beam.

Hi,
Thats great idea I machined some of these a while back for myself they work fine. Great item to purchase if you dont have a lathe handy.
Rich:)

Dude read the description. It allows you to add a focusing lens without having to have to remove the gball lens from the diode. Frickin hell...
Bro i read the description... With the Gball lens there is some beam concentration compare to a no lens diode, right? Adding one more lens like 3E for example, with this adapter, is the beam divergence better than a diode with no gball and just a single 3E? That's what i m trying to find out... How better is the beam if at all?

The adapter has a built in lens to counteract the GBall, so using the adapter alone on a GBall laser diode will be like having a laser diode with no lens at all......then you screw in your own G2 or G3 or 3E or G7 or G8 or similar lens to focus your beam, this lets you focus the GBall diodes without having to 1st remove the GBall can.

The adapter has a built in lens to counteract the GBall, so using the adapter alone on a GBall laser diode will be like having a laser diode with no lens at all......then you screw in your own G2 or G3 or 3E or G7 or G8 or similar lens to focus your beam, this lets you focus the GBall diodes without having to 1st remove the GBall can.
Exactly! The G-Ball diodes were designed for illumination purposes in DLP and LCD projectors. They do not focus to a fine point which is typically the goal when used in laser pointers or engraving machines. By de-collimating and re-collimating with an adjustable lens you are now able to concentrate the energy in to a smaller spot.

smana

I am interested in this product.

Are there any beam output specs such as:
1) % efficiency in light output (I assume there is always a slight loss of light every time it passes through an additional medium/lens)
2) before/after photos comparing this product to the standard g-ball beam
3) before/after photos after attaching a g8 lens to this product as shown in your product photos on your website?

Thanks for the posts guys, wasn't sure what the G-Balls were I saw on Barnett's site until reading this.
I keep feeling there's a pun in there somewhere but it's escaping me...

Dusty_Lenses

1) % efficiency in light output (I assume there is always a slight loss of light every time it passes through an additional medium/lens)
3) before/after photos after attaching a g8 lens to this product as shown in your product photos on your website?
I too am curious of this. No mention on here or ebay.

"1) % efficiency in light output"

1. There will be the loss of a G-2 lens plus whatever lens you use after it.
2. I haven't taken any before/after photos yet. The focus is adjustable so it's going to differ at different distances as well as the lens used with it.
3. Similar to answer 2.... I will try to get some photos if time allows.