Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: White Fusion Laser Mixing Kit

Re: Custom 7 Color DIY Laser Kit

The sled uses a PBS cube to combine red and blu-ray and a dichro to combine the green red and blu-ray. The optics are included in the PHR sled.

And the pbs cube and dichro are already attached to the sled right?

jayrob

The PBS cube is already attached. And you will have to re-position the Turning mirror as shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/b...ng-adjustable-sled-mount-heatsinks-41942.html

This is a 'touchy' part of this build. You will want the green module installed, and at least one of the other lasers installed before you do the final positioning of the turning mirror. (I recommend using the red laser, because the blu-ray beam seems wider. Or at least that is how our eyes perceive it)

Have the adjustment screws all the way tight, and then back them off about 1/2 turn. That way you will have the spring tension as tight as possible, and still have some room for adjustment.

Also have your lasers rotated for best power through the optics.

You must get the mirror adjusted so that you have beam alignment at aperture. (along with dot alignment as close as possible)

Then later you can adjust the mounts for dot alignment at distance...
Jay

Last edited:

This kit is going to change this hobby forever!

Its only A 7 color laser kit with Analogue modulation.....Imagine TTL, Over 16 MILLION COLORS. :wave: Now that would be BadA$$

This prototype here has analog modulation. I didn't have a DAC to control it yet so at the time of the picture the mod input was connected directly to the onboard +5V. I want to build a smaller one now using flexMod drivers by DrLava. Should all be small enough to all fit in the next box size down and be pocket sized. Add a controler with a DAC and spiro for things like rainbow spiro effects. May still fit lol?

Finished_ON.jpg

-Ryan

Last edited:

WOW... i am SO buying one of these now. i passed on it before because i actualy wanted to wait until it was developed a little more... but looks like that time has come!

before i forget... what is a "FlexMod" driver? is that slang for a flexv4 or something?

This kit is simply amazing, breathtaking even. You have LITERALY turned a $10,000 product, into a $300 user customizable kit! thats freakin incredible. never in my wildest dreams did i ever immagine i could own a 7 colour laser... you have answered many peoples prayers my friend!

I absolutely can NOT wait to see further improvements.

Would a 30mW green be suitable for this project, or should i go 40-50 to make it a little brighter...? i ask because i know green will drown out the others if its too powerful. another reason would be to figure out if i need the green heatsink upgrade or not.

I have a 50mW that stays on for 20 mins at a time and it has NEVER mode hopped on me.

Dark

FlexMod is another driver from DrLava that is designed for modulation. For anyone who doesn't know Modulation allows you to control the intensity of each laser with a 0V to 5V signal input. TTL and Analog are the two types. TTL Modulation uses on off pulses to control the intensity based on how frequent the pulses are. Analog Modulation uses a variable voltage from 0V to 5V to control the intensity. By doing this with the 3 colors Red Green Blue or in this case Red Green and UV you can get millions of colors out of this beuty.

Here is a link to the FlexMod and the sight I found the driver I used in the pic.

FlexMod
Norms RGB Driver

I found norms driver to be a bit tedious to build so the FlexMods will be my next choice. We will see how it goes.

I use a 50mw Green with my BDR and I still have to turn it down a bit so your call. 30mw may work but if your 50mw is that stable I would go with that.

-Ryan

Last edited:

Awsome, thank you for the information.

I will be ordering a full blown kit very soon. what kind of a wait should i expect?

Dark

lmn

I will also order the "Full package"

Does the full package also include a cleaned up PHR sled?

Hi Guys,

I will make a few sets this weekend if there is time. I'm holding off on outsourcing some of the parts till the demand is higher.

So is shipped Monday soon enough? :D

Thanks,
Ryan

Sounds quick enough to me ^_^ like the obave person asked, im pretty sure it sais you do above, but confimation of he cleaned up sled would be awsome.

So correct me if im wrong, all WE need to do is supply diodes/modules/drivers and then adjust the urning mirror apropriately?

Thx in advance FX,

Dark

jayrob

Yep! Adjusting the turning mirror is a critical and tricky part of the build. A few posts up, I did mention some good tips. At least I found them to be useful...

This is the coolest build. Just getting different colors out of a hand held unit is awesome. But to me, that white beam at night is amazing! My first one was not as powerful, so the beam didn't jump out.

But my second one, using these adjustable mounts, is giving me a 358mW white beam that is stunning in the dark! :) It brings a nice response from everybody that I show it to...
Jay

Sounds quick enough to me ^_^ like the obave person asked, im pretty sure it sais you do above, but confimation of he cleaned up sled would be awsome.

So correct me if im wrong, all WE need to do is supply diodes/modules/drivers and then adjust the urning mirror apropriately?

Thx in advance FX,

Dark

Yes dark,
The "full enchilada" pachage deal includes a mount readied sled. I'm basically throwing in the sled clean up for free when you purchase the full enchilada. The How-To will cover the whole process so that anyone buying partial kits will have instructions if they don't pay for the cleanup service or get it in a package deal.

I would like to add a mirror alignment service to the list of services but I don't have enough of a variety of lenses and diodes to test if it will work when you put your lasers in a kit that has the mirror aligned using mine. I would think that with the adjusting mounts it would work out fine but what I think and what tests true isn’t always the same thing.

Any thoughts on this Jay? Rog? Anyone?

Thanks,

Ryan

jayrob

Just from my own personal experience so far, I would say that you have to mount your own lasers, and then adjust the turning mirror...

There is too much differences in how straight the laser comes out of the module with the greens.

Plus the rotation for best power through the PBS cube, etc... All of this will make a difference in the alignment.

Just my .02 cents...
Jay

Last edited:

I was gunna say the same thing. i have a green thats "crooked" but THANKFULY my ultra-stable 50mW module is str8 as could be!

I will have to aquire another BDR for the blue.

Im assuming you'd use a LOC for the red?

And im actualy torn between drivers as well... i can afford 3 of either one. but im not sure if i want to dive right into this new modulatable driver... maybe i should take a shot at it with flexdrives first, and sell it off to affors parts for another one using the better drivers.

I feel this may be a wise descision...

And i read over both guides i could find, rog's and J's, and i have confidence i can handle the turning mirror.

I cant wait to get started... the white beam is just mesmorizing to me! i WILL have it... so how does a white beam burn J ??? im quite curious.. my 408mW 8x burns like WHOA... im curious how a white beam would compare at infinity. is it intense like BR, or weak as could be like reds? "when focused to infinity...ish"

Dark

Last edited:

jayrob

That's the thing...

Focus. As you know, focus is the key to burning. In this build, I set my lasers up for best visual dot at 75'. Now through the sled optics, this still gives a nice dot at closer distances too.

But as for burning, it's not going to perform like a pinpoint focus.

That said, at the kind of power I have mine set at, it will still light matches. The blu-ray, which is a GGW 6X set at 185mA's, is putting out 174mW's after sled optics with a 405-G-1 glass lens. So yes, it will burn your fingers right out of the sled.

But for lighting matches. I have only done a couple of tests just to see if it would do so at this kind of focus. Yes, it is easy with Magenta and white.

But it is still not a great burner because of the 'distance focus'. The power is there for sure. And if it were at a pinpoint, it would burn like crazy...
Jay

lmn

I was gunna say the same thing. i have a green thats "crooked" but THANKFULY my ultra-stable 50mW module is str8 as could be!

I will have to aquire another BDR for the blue.

Im assuming you'd use a LOC for the red?

And im actualy torn between drivers as well... i can afford 3 of either one. but im not sure if i want to dive right into this new modulatable driver... maybe i should take a shot at it with flexdrives first, and sell it off to affors parts for another one using the better drivers.

I feel this may be a wise descision...

And i read over both guides i could find, rog's and J's, and i have confidence i can handle the turning mirror.

I cant wait to get started... the white beam is just mesmorizing to me! i WILL have it... so how does a white beam burn J ??? im quite curious.. my 408mW 8x burns like WHOA... im curious how a white beam would compare at infinity. is it intense like BR, or weak as could be like reds? "when focused to infinity...ish"

Dark

LOL I can't wait to do this either. In fact, I just manned up and bought an actual weller soldering station instead of the radioshack iron i was using!