Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Tiny Titanium Key Chain Kit! (For Red)

jayrob

This host is made of titanium alloy, and is difficult to machine. But the end result is very nice...

The build does not have room for a driver. It is just to have a really tiny (but powerful) laser using an inexpensive diode and a small Li-Ion battery.

This is for the Red kit only. The blu-ray build pictures can be seen here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/c...titanium-key-chain-red-blu-ray-too-48640.html

My personal red build uses a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor, with a cap and silicon diode to help protect the LD. (details below)

(This red kit will not include the laser diode, battery, cap, silicon diode or stickers) - But I do have some 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistors, so I will include one of those in this kit if you decide to set it up the same as I did with mine...

Here are the pictures...

Note: I have this same build using a 445 diode, but without the resistor. Just the 10180 battery, the silicon diode, and the cap...

TT%201.jpg

TT%202.jpg

TT%207.jpg

TT%203.jpg

Some details...

* Here is the host:
ThruNite TiKey Titanium LED Flashlight - 3 x LR44 / AG13 batteries

* Diode: LCC red from a GGW 6X sled.

* Battery: 10180 Li-Ion - You can get these from AW. You must message him. The site says sold out, but he has them...
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 8* - CPFMarketPlace

* Charger for the 10180: (needs a Li-Ion charger with a low output)
Battery chargers for lithium ion coin cells

Current draw:

Without the resistor (direct from battery), the initial current draw from the battery (same for the diode - no driver), was 670mA's! (370mW's!) So with this kind of current to the diode, I figured it may not last long.

That's why I decided to install a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor to limit the current a little...

TT%206.jpg

Update: I added a cap and silicon diode for a little more protection to the LD...

TT%2011.jpg

TT%2012.jpg

So now, using a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor with cap and silicon diode... and a fully charged 10180, I get a current draw of 438mA's. Giving 286mW's. With my 650-G-1 glass lens mod... (I liked the 370mW's with the 'direct to battery connection', but I like this little jewel too much to kill the diode so fast)

Lens:

For the lens, I used my 650-G-1 glass lens. It is assembled with an extra spacer because of the extra length of the long closed can diode. The assembly is just as it is shown in this picture:
DX%20red2.jpg

TT%204.jpg

TT%208.jpg

This pricing is based on the idea that I can drill out 3 of these titanium hosts per bit and reamer. (I ruined one of my bits making my two builds, but I think I can be more careful and make at least three per bit and reamer)

Since the bit and reamer will cost me $30 dollars for the pair (shipped), I will charge an extra $10 dollars on top of what I would like to make for the machine work to cover the replacement bits...

Red build kit: (This red kit will not include the laser diode, battery, cap, silicon diode, or stickers) - But I will include a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor...

* Host - $30 (or send me yours)
* Tiny swivel hook option - $2 (The swivel hook does not come with the host, but I have some if you want one with the kit)
* AixiZ module - $5 (complete module - includes acrylic lens)
* 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor - N/C
* Machine the head and fit the module (for a single Scotch tape wrap) - $25
* Tool bit estimate - $10 (this charge may or may not need to be changed. Could get lower or higher)
* 650-G-1 glass lens option - $52 (let me know if you want a normal one, or a special assembly one as shown in the picture above)
* Shipping - 3% of total, plus $3 dollars (based on PayPal fees and postage)
* Please read my shipping policy here!

($30 in advance to order the host. Or send me the host, and pay for the machine work)

Send me a PM if you are interested! :)

Last edited:

cmak

:worthy: amazing Jay, you've done it again!

I'd definitely be interested in making a cheap little PHR out of this...

jayrob

:thanks: It is a cool little host... :cool:

quantile, I sent your Tiny Titanium kit today. (Wednesday)

Hope you like it!

quantile, I sent your Tiny Titanium kit today. (Wednesday)

Hope you like it!

Received it on Tuesday, that was really fast for overseas mail. Thanks.

This is a great host, I like the block pattern on the body.

I decided to go for a blu-ray build. It's not pretty but I managed to cram a driver in there. It runs off a 10180 Li-Ion battery pushing 85 mA into a PHR, resulting in 65 mW of violet.

Cheers to Jayrob for making this fine host available!

jayrob

Man how did you get a driver in there with the diode pins in the way??

Is the module still flush with the front of the host?

You really got my attention with that build! :gj:

Is it a 'cut down' FlexDrive? Doesn't look like a FlexDrive... What driver is it?

Last edited:
Man how did you get a driver in there with the diode pins in the way??

Is the module still flush with the front of the host?

You really got my attention with that build! :gj:

Is it a 'cut down' FlexDrive? Doesn't look like a FlexDrive... What driver is it?

I cheated (a bit) - the module protrudes approximately 1mm. Not sure how much space there is left in there, I don't think I can get it completely flush.

Also I had to file down the positive contact point a little to allow the current path to be closed with that slightly longer 10180 battery.

The driver is my own design (constant current step-up), and yes, it has been 'cut down' to fit the diameter of the barrel, because the PCB was done with pen-like builds in mind. I put some Kapton tape around the barrel in order to prevent shorts.

jayrob

Just let me know when your ready! :)

I cheated (a bit) - the module protrudes approximately 1mm. Not sure how much space there is left in there, I don't think I can get it completely flush.

Also I had to file down the positive contact point a little to allow the current path to be closed with that slightly longer 10180 battery.

The driver is my own design (constant current step-up), and yes, it has been 'cut down' to fit the diameter of the barrel, because the PCB was done with pen-like builds in mind. I put some Kapton tape around the barrel in order to prevent shorts.

Nice job man...

I decided to go for a blu-ray build. It's not pretty but I managed to cram a driver in there. It runs off a 10180 Li-Ion battery pushing 85 mA into a PHR, resulting in 65 mW of violet.
Depends on your idea of pretty! I love it! :bday:
I am extremely fond of tiny builds. :san:

The driver is my own design (constant current step-up), and yes, it has been 'cut down' to fit the diameter of the barrel, because the PCB was done with pen-like builds in mind.

I love your driver, CC & lays flat in such a small host. I've been wanting to create a CC that can lay flat just like that for a long time. Simply too many projects competing for too little time tho.
How many mA max can it supply for a Blu-ray? Any chance you might sell one of your drivers?

Last edited:
How many mA max can it supply for a Blu-ray? Any chance you might sell one of your drivers?

Depends on the battery, in another host I have it running a PHR at 65 mA from a 1.5V alkaline. For higher voltage batteries like 3.7V Li-Ion it should easily go up to 200 mA. Have a look at the converter's datasheet http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps61200.pdf

This is by no means a professionally engineered driver and I am no expert on switching regulators. I have used this driver without problems in a few builds for myself and some friends. That's about all the testing that has been performed. Having said that, if you think that it may fit your application, send me a PM and we'll work something out :)

I want to build this one, but anyone have a good link where I can find the diode for a good price?

jayrob

The diode is in a GGW sled, which can be bought at modwerx.com or hightechdealz.com

You might also ask scopeguy20 if he has any GGW sleds available...

so... The 650-G-1 lenses.. Those are from the BudgetGadgets/O-like Focusable lasers?