Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Stainless Steel CR2 Kit - Polished! - SCHWEET!

jayrob

Also, check out 'big brother'... My new Stainless Steel 18650 build kit! Polished!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-18650-kit-polished-perfect-445-a-52159.html

Hey I realize that there is no end to the different hosts that can be modified into a laser kit. And I have quite a few kits already. So with that in mind, you won't see me offering too many more unless I find a really nice host!

Lets hope these hosts stay available because they are one of the nicest little hosts I have seen yet!...

This is my new kit called the Stainless Steel CR2 kit... It is available with all of the normal options as my other kits. (except the tritium marker - I don't want to machine into the nice polished stainless steel finish)

For a 445 build, you can get your diode pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on from daguin or DTR.

In that case, you will just connect your diode leads, to my driver leads... ('Hot' option kit)

Yes... Polished! The host has been polished on a buffer, and it is so nice...

SS%20CR2%201.jpg

Here's my 445 build in this little gem...

445 CR2 3.jpg

Made from solid stainless steel. Then polished...

It has a GITD tail cap, and will make a beautiful little blu-ray, red, or 445 build using a FlexDrive and a CR2 primary or rechargeable...

SS%20CR2%204.jpg

press fit heatsink design.jpg

The build (assembly) will be the exact same as my Pocket Mini kit.

Here is a picture for size comparison:

SS%20CR2%202.jpg

The pricing and options for the kit will be like so...

* SS CR2 basic kit - $44 (host/heatsink/drill the pill)
* Add 'Hot' option - $48 (let me know the current setting)
* Copper heatsink upgrade - $8
* Press fit heatsink design option - $7
* EzFocus adapter (if desired) - $20 (designed for fitting my 405-G-1 or 650-G-1 lenses)
* 405-G-1 glass lens assembly - $55
* 650-G-1 glass lens assembly - $52
* Shipping - Message for total (based on PayPal fees plus postage)
* Shipping policy:
Shipping Policy

I think your going to like this little gem! :cool:

Build tips:

You will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the heatsink set screw. (wrench not included)

If you just get the basic kit (host/heatsink/drill the pill), I will remove the brass ring and board from the pill, and drill out the top of the pill to open it up.

Then you will be removing the driver components from the board, and soldering your positive and negative lead wires to the board. (use your DMM for testing)

You can mount your FlexDrive or Micro Boost driver into the pill. (I like to use strong ‘red’ double sided tape and mount it flat)

Just make sure that none of the contact points on the driver is touching any metal…

Battery position – Case negative. (negative end of the battery towards tail cap) CR2 primary, or CR2 rechargeable.

The best battery is this one: (IMO)
RCR2 Unprotected Rechargeable Lithium Battery

SS CR2 3.jpg

With the ‘Hot’ option kit, I will have the driver installed for you. With the current set to the agreed upon setting, and lead wires soldered onto the driver as well. Ready for you…

SS%20CR2%205.jpg

Tool tip:

The trickiest part for the assembly, will be to thread the pill/driver, together with the heatsink/module (and diode), into the head of the host as one assembly without letting the heatsink turn separately from the pill. This would obviously twist the wires.

One method, is to pinch the heatsink and pill between your thumb and which ever finger fits in through the front of the host, hold them tight together between your thumb and finger, while turning the head of the host with your other hand until it is all the way in place.

Then, just a final tightening of the pill with the tips of some needle nosed pliers to make sure it is tight. (can't have the heatsink loose, it will twist while focusing)

If there are no slots in the pill for the needle nose tips, then you can always 'snag' the solder blobs with the tips. You just need to get the pill 'snugged up' against the heatsink as good as possible.

The best method I have found for install (or dis-assembly), is the use of this nice tool that I made... (made from brass)
Custom%20AixiZ%20Tool.jpg

With this tool, I can thread it into the AixiZ module after it is mounted in the heatsink, and ready for final assembly. The diode will not get touched by the tool...

I thread it in hand tight, then stand the tool upright with it through the head of the host.

It is easy to put pressure on the 'pill/heatsink assembly' using this tool. (to keep them from turning separately from each other)

SS%2018650%2013.jpg

Then just use your other hand to turn the head and get the assembly in place.

After the final tightening of the pill, you can just unscrew the tool from your module.

And of course, it is a great tool for dis-assembly as well...

It is an especially useful tool if working on really small builds, such as pens or Key Chains...

It is solid brass, then machined to size, threaded for AixiZ, and drilled at the tip for diode clearance. I offer this tool for $23 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping if anybody is interested...

Last edited:

Lumify

:drool: I think I'm looking at my next host! :D

EDIT 7/8: It's done! It took me over a month to put it all together and get pics with a decent camera. I used a 12x blu-ray laser diode, got the hot option, the 405-G-1, and the Ez-Focus adapter.

I always love when people do comparisons between common household objects and the subject, so I decided to do that:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You guys definitely have to get the Ez-Focus adapter too. Here's a comparison of the adapter versus the default Aixiz lens knob:

attachment.php

Now for the almighty beam shots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I like this host so much that I might just get a second one! :D

Attachments

• img0238.jpg
    img0238.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5,948
  • img0298.jpg
    img0298.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5,946
  • img0658.jpg
    img0658.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 5,945
  • img0960.jpg
    img0960.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 5,925
  • img0982.jpg
    img0982.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5,852
  • img0247.jpg
    img0247.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,845
Last edited:

Burnsy

Very nice indeed
Even though the chrome pocket mine still is the most beautiful in my opinion
(I asked Dave for one with a 12x :san:)

greets David

jayrob

For sure both are very nice...

The main difference besides the battery, is the material. This one is polished stainless steel. A very hard, and solid material. Not a coating like the Pocket Mini Chrome.

And of course it's a little smaller than the Pocket Mini as well.

But yeah, the Pocket Mini Chrome is a very nice host as well! :cool:

jayrob

Lumify, I sent your SS CR2 copper heatsink kit with EzFocus adapter and 405-G-1 glass lens today. (Thursday)

Let me know how you like it! :)

jayrob

Please post back and let me know what you think of the new kit! :)

Kevlar, I am sending your SS CR2 'Hot' option kit with Copper heatsink, EzFocus adapter, and 405-G-1 glass lens today. (Friday)

Set at 190mA's per our discussion...

Hope you like it!

Lumify

I'll definitely post back. :) I'll probably make a Youtube video too once I put the whole thing together.

IMO one can never have too many options when it comes to lasers!
Great to see you offering a kit for this new SS CR2 Cree. Plus a copper heatsink & polished too.
Very nice. :san:

Somebody get me a towel...that host looks sick! AND it can take blu-ray or red! There was another chrome build but it was only for green, and I :cryyy: But this...DAMN! You'll be gettin a PM in 2-3 weeks, once my AW210 gets here from Charlie's GB.

Lumify

It got here, and it is SO nice. It's about as long as my thumb and appears to be of incredibly high quality. I really like the on/off button on the back. It's soft, rubbery, and has a really smooth, natural feel. The surface is nice and shiny yet appears to be quite durable. I just can't believe how small it is! I haven't gotten a chance to see it in action because the blu-ray burner I ordered isn't here yet, but once I put the whole thing together, I'll be sure to brag about it all over the internet. :cool:

Kevlar

Got mine today Jay!! This is a GREAT host :bowdown: It's tiny! Very solid but doesn't weigh a ton. The easy focus adapter is a nice touch, its the same diameter as the host so it just has smooth lines all the way down!! Fine job Jay!! Your best yet!! :worthy:

jayrob

Sweet little host huh?

Glad you guys like the kits! Don't hold back from posting some pictures of your builds now! :)

Kevlar

Here is a few pics I took last night. Not the greatest but it was the best I could do that late with no tripod ;)

Attachments

• DSCN1503-resized.JPG
    DSCN1503-resized.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN1504-resized.JPG
    DSCN1504-resized.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCN1505-resized.JPG
    DSCN1505-resized.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 353