Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Stainless Steel 18650 Kit! Polished! Perfect for 445...

I offer V5 FlexDrive 'Hot' options with driver heatsinks installed, but since this setting is not shown in the driver documentation for a 4 + volt diode, it will be at the buyers risk...

That said, a few of us are using them at 1.5 Amps (heatsinked) with good results! :)

Good stuff. :)

jayrob, are the driver heat sinks you offer somewhat standard? If so are there photos of them around?

Thanks,

-Scott

Last edited:

jayrob

Good stuff. :)

jayrob, are the driver heat sinks you offer somewhat standard? If so are there photos of them around?

Thanks,

-Scot

In my SolarForce L2P thread, I show the option...

L2P%2011.jpg

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-solarforce-l2p-kit-18650-host-massive-heatsink-53746.html

The driver heatsink is smaller for this SS 18650 kit though: (has to fit inside the pill)

SS%2018650%2011.jpg

See DTR's review of that build here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/1...-custom-hot-option-heatsink-driver-54222.html

I will mention that if you can mount the driver heatsink direct to the pill, it will be better yet. You could also use some silicone thermal glue to dab between the driver heatsink and the pill. That would make it better. But then you will be cutting out the silicone if you ever need to take it apart.

Also, I have the heatsink material in copper now... That should make a difference.

In larger hosts, it will be easy to heatsink the FlexDrives or even the larger FlexModP3 drivers direct to the host or main sink...

I have some new kits coming that will heatsink drivers direct to the host for monster bulds. The first of which is shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-large-maglite-kits-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

But I'm going to also be getting FlexModP3 driver options with the driver heatsinked either direct to the large main sink, or to the inside of the host. Which ever way works out best.

Planning on a 2 C Maglite with FlexModP3 using 2 X 26500 Li-Ion supply...

And possibly a 2 D Maglite with FlexModP3 using 2 X 26650 Li-Ion's with a custom battery sleeve. (there is room for the length in the tail cap. :)

Last edited:
jayrob,

Thanks for your quick responses. Your second image there is roughly equivalent to what I did only I sliced that thickness in two and used non-conductive heat sink padding to join the second half to the top. I don't know if there is much advantage to splitting the heat sink in two but it seemed logical to me in terms of trying to "wick" away the heat more effectively.
For my other mod (Poplite) I actually took the pill out completely and swapped it with a shaved down copper coin that I added an isolated + terminal to for connection to the battery. Then just attached the FlexDrive V5 directly to the copper coin with the sticky thermal transfer pad and attached another shaved down copper coin to the other side of the driver with additional thermal transfer padding. Seems to work really well.
I'll be keeping my eyes open for your new builds. I may feel a need to upgrade to something a bit more monstery. :)

Thanks again,

-Scott

jayrob

By the way, I remember you wanted a momentary switch in the one custom kit...

The Maglites have a nice side button forward clicky that doubles as a momentary switch if you choose to use it that way. (or just click all the way on)

jayrob

limewire161, I'm shipping your Stainless Steel 18650 'Hot' option kit with other items today. (Monday)

Hope you like it!

I can Promise anyone who ordered this kit, you will love it. :)
Just a tip to be super careful soldering the bottom of the pill together. I couldn't get the solder to flow across. And ended up making a mess. Any advice Jay?

Last edited:

jayrob

Got you covered...

clearwire, I sent your SS 18650 heatsinks today. (Wednesday)

Thanks!

Got you covered...

clearwire, I sent your SS 18650 heatsinks today. (Wednesday)

Thanks!
Thanks JayRob! You the man!
I believe it might be version 2 heatsink I'm looking for. I enclosed a pic link to the host I have. It has 3 AAA's in it.

...And thanx for the SS Keychain kit. Nothing like burning down the house with a tiny monster no longer than your little finger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember,
"If it works, fiddle with it till it don't"

Last edited:

Metric

Just want to report that I got this in the "monster" configuration -- 1.5A, copper heatsinked driver, copper main heatsink, copper module, and the G1 lens. It is simply one of the "schweeetest" devices I've ever seen, and the fulfilment of a lifelong dream that started in 1984 -- March of 1984, to be exact.

Incidentally, is just amazing how fast the heat is conducted away and distributed to the surface of the polished steel host.

jayrob

Just want to report that I got this in the "monster" configuration -- 1.5A, copper heatsinked driver, copper main heatsink, copper module, and the G1 lens. It is simply one of the "schweeetest" devices I've ever seen, and the fulfilment of a lifelong dream that started in 1984 -- March of 1984, to be exact.

Incidentally, is just amazing how fast the heat is conducted away and distributed to the surface of the polished steel host.

Thanks for posting back! Glad you like it...

You feel the heat transfer quickly to the host because of the excellent contact between the bare metal threads. (pill to host contact is excellent)

So as long as your pill is tight against the heatsink, the entire host/pill/heatsink is one...

WLHostage, I'm sending your Stainless Steel 18650 'Hot' option kit with all options today. (Saturday)

Hope you like it!

jayrob

madmacmo, I'm sending your Stainless Steel 18650 'Hot' option kit and other items today. (Tuesday)

Thanks for your patience!

They are in for a treat as usual Jay. All top-notch and beautiful host with all the reliability that they need.

I agree. The 18650 Stainless is one solid build. And even the LED that comes with it is super bright. I found it difficult to destroy it, so I took it out and saved it with it's PCB/wafer board intact. I'll have to carve me out a wafer for the pill from an old computer circuit board to replace it. I want to keep the brass pill too, but am having some difficulty forming a mold to make a plastic pill with threads. Silly Putty is way too pliable and plaster cracks to easy as it dries. Gonna have to try epoxy. The copper heatsink JayRob supplies is the way to go. I'm working on my second 18650 now. !!This is one addicting sport!! Hopefully some pics will follow soon enough.