Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Rubicon 10W & 5W Laser Power Meters

Trevor

Re: FS: Rubicon 5W Laser Power Meters

Here's a more extreme example, to show the effects of the slow response time. I used a LB 2.5W USB, an Ophir 20C-A, and a ~1.35W laser I had handy. I used a stopwatch to manually cycle the laser.

Not the most scientific test in the world, but it's just for illustrative purposes

At a 1s on/off cycle, the Ophir 20C-A reaches nearly 100%, while the LB 2.5W USB warms up and hovers at about 50% power.

oyplzSD.png

With a 5s on/off cycle, the Ophir 20C-A reaches 100%, while the LB 2.5W USB warms up and ultimately only reaches about 80% power. When the laser is off, it only drops down to a value of 30% max power.

5fn3zjI.png

At best, many TEC LPM's only offer a rough approximation of the output of lasers whose outputs fluctuate.

Does that help?

Trevor

ARG

Interesting. If need be I can replicate the results with a modulated laser for precision.

I'm surprised the Ophir performed so well even at 1Hz.

thats actually a really interested find Trevor :D

plexus

Wow that really shows the limitations of a TEC based meter... direct DL tend to just drop smoothly in power as heat builds up, but DPSS lasers have more complex and transient responses so a TEC graph of a DPSS is usually just good for an average. but even with direct DLs you sometimes get glitches, possible driver droops and things you want to see. When I see a TEC graph I take it as a rough estimate at best.

ARG

Update: We've run out of the beige plastic and have decided to no longer stock it. All Rubicon cases are now being printed in Black :)

Still waiting on a special run of GITD or Blue.....maybe clear ;)

ARG

Well I've got GITD Blue plastic :D

Haven't taken it out of the anti-moisture bag yet. May experiment printing cases with it later this weekend ;)

YES!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP ME INFORMED!!!!! Been wanting that or a clear case ever since you showed me the first case attempt! This is going to be EPIC, i hope :D

+1 when blah blah blah you get it

Last edited: