Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: RL-2088 'Frankenstein' Kit! With FlexModP3...

jayrob

Wow nice job with the beam expander...

Interested in close up pics of how you attached it! :)

Just fit right over the stainless steel bezel? Then used some set screws? Are the set screws nylon tipped to keep it from scratching??

I really like this picture of yours too: :cool:

scaled.php

Glad you like the kit!

Thanks for posting pictures and stuff... :beer:

Last edited:
Hi .. the beam expander is sold by Laserglow company as Hercules accessory at 389 dollars, but please remind this built is for the 532 nm lasers.
I think it was conceived to eliminate only the residual dangerous infrared frequencies coming out from DPSS modules, so the coated surface
shouldn't create any loss of power, but this is only a guess. On the other side, there can be the possibility that the coated films burn under a so
powerful and different wavelenght. To avoid any surprise, I have removed the coated film with a ultrafine 3M abrasive paste. Tomorrow I try to
wash the lens group with isoprophilic alcohol (also used to clean turntable pins, capstains and cassette recorder heads), because is very dry
and do not deposit impurities or shadings. The most important thing is to blow with a compressor at the end of the washing.
The 10x expander fits perfectly over the bezel, so it does not require any modification. The three screws are alredy mounted on the 10x expander,
and are nylon tipped to prevent scratchings.

I have already ruined a phone bill, a piece of wood floor, a wall, a curtain, and burned a lot of little spiders that I have found in my room, so if You
are planning to use this fantastic expander over this outstanding laser, please consider that You have a very dangerous weapon among You hands!!

Last edited:
Here is an internal close shot of the beam expander.
You can clearly see the three screws and the nylon tipped ending ...

jayrob

Pretty cool how that just happens to fit perfectly onto the stainless steel bezel ring of the RL-2088 host... :cool:

Some others nice photos:

.. and here, a little demonstration how this generated beam can be extremely dangerous:

This is a common block-notes cyan-coloured sheet. I have moved this sheet over the focused beam at about 10 cm of the 10x expander, and moved it not slow nor too fast. Approximately, I have cutted the sheet in about 5 seconds!

Mr. Kobayashi- you do not recommend cleaning the lens on the 10x expander as it will scratch it/damage it. I ordered mine this week and was wondering what is safe to use to clean it. I'm guessing a micro-fiber camera lens cloth should be safe as long as there is no oil in it. Thanks!!!

Hello!
Yes, unfortunately I have already damaged an unit.
I havre tried various cleaning methods, but the surface remains slightly fatted and halos of various kind. The best ways that I have found is use a cotton fiocc moistened with isoprophilic alcohol (the same used in the commercial clening product kits for glasses, lens, tape deck heads, pinch rollers, turntable needle, and so on, but completely pure, without any dye or fragrance), After a delicate cleaning, I wait some seconds, and when the surface is dry, I use another virgin cotton fiocc to removec the halos, with linear movements, from left to right, from up to down ...

Okay! Thanks for the intel. I'll be careful with the lens when I need to clean it!!!

jayrob

WTB: RL-2088 Reflectors

(I posted this in DTR's thread, but this thread is also relevant)

I'm hoping to find a couple RL-2088 reflectors that some you may have in mint condition with no scratches on the reflector surface...

I found that I can use that size reflector in a cool flashlight mod, and would like to get a couple extra.

Some of you have the Frankenstine build, and may have a reflector that you can sell me! :)

Please send me a PM... :thanks: