Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Optotronics RPL 225

I had this thing for sale 4 years ago, it never sold, and I've forgotten about it until recently. I plan on moving soon, so I'm clearing things out. I just powered it up and it still works fine. Anyone interested in making an offer? I'd hate to just throw it away....

For Sale – Optotronics RPL 225 532nm green laser. This unit includes both the keyed on/off end cap and the adjustable end cap. I purchased this new in 2007 during a brief interest in lasers that I had and it has spent most of the past three years in its case. I’d say this unit has a maximum of one hour total operating time. The housing is in as good condition as when I first received it, however the warranty label was broken when I once attempted to unscrew the top cap and the middle of the housing started to unscrew instead. The housing has never actually been opened by me.

I’m in the US (Michigan) and don’t want to ship outside of the US.

Attachments

• All Items.jpg
    All Items.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Laser On.jpg
    Laser On.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Warranty Label.jpg
    Warranty Label.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 104
  • Certificate.pdf
    756.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Hi guys. I know that I don't have a reputation here, and that whole thing with the warranty lable looks bad, but I figured that I'd at least have a couple of questions by now. I really need to sell this thing. Anybody have any suggestions?

Its good that you are upfront about the label and optoronics makes some of the best out there but... can you get it metered and include a photo of that?? and.. the Viasho and JETLASER GBs will not help your cause- JetL offers during the GB for $325$ plus $33 to ship a 250mW that is overspec 100mWs or MORE.some peak over 430mWs-- IR filtered- two key locks-shutter- and focusable- excellant build quality and one year warranty, so yours has a lot of competition. G L --<(*U*)>-- hak

ps you should consider using a Vet as a middleman- this will cost you additional shipping but that may be the only way other than local pickup that you will sell it.

hope I have been helpful

Last edited:
Always plugging the GB you must get something kicked down from JetL hak :shhh:
MMMMMM? maybe a little sour grapes here??

you were in for the GB ..then said you had to pass- I found another to take your place... then you wanted back on the list.
.now you want to say something not so nice just because I like JetL--Is Gray treating me nice-??
- DAMN Straight-
PLUS I have made many new friends who appreciate the huge discount- overspec lasers and free extras- and my efforts-

Gray has sent out MANY free samples to a lot of members here- me included. No shame in my game.
No hype in my type.

.If i was just 'plugging the GB' I would have included a link. but thanks for the bump.

Thanks for the responses guys. Please excuse my ignorance with these things, but like I said, this was just a passing interest of mine, and this thing has just been sitting on a shelf forever.

DJNY - About what would you consider a reasonable price for this unit? Do you say that I'm asking too much because of the warranty label, or is it mainly because of all the more affordable alternatives out there?

Hakzaw1 - I looked up the JetLasers, and I can see what you mean about competition as they look like very good lasers. The question I have is that if the JetLasers are similar in quality / IR filtering / etc. to Optotronics, why do brand new Optotronics still cost so much more?

I don't have a meter, and I'm pretty sure that I can't just walk into the local Radio Shack and have it measured. Is there somebody trustworthy in this forum that I can contact about acting as a middle man who has a meter? Of course I wouldn't want to go this route until I had a prospective buyer.

I gotta say - this really sucks - I spent over $800 on this stupid thing.

There must be a member with a LPM near you. I think you may be able to get it metered at a university or college around your area-

about the comparison in quality-- I wish I had more knowledge in that area-Optotronics has a very high rep. I have no doubt that it is overspec.

I have only seen the JetL 150mW and 7 of the 250mWs I do know that all JETL PL-C 532s are IR filtered-I guess there are some IR filters that are of better quality than others but again - I am lacking in expertise in that area too.

Gray sent me a 10mW 532nm Titanium pen pointer and the craftsmanship on it really impressed me. It may be a prototype that JETL is not going to use -so it could be a one-of-a-kind.

There is a thread here that has a map showing the location of many members or you could start a thread asking for help from anybody close to you- metering of lasers afaik is always done free of charge. And yeah $800 is a lot of money.

The broken warranty label may not void the warranty-since you did not take the laser apart-- but that would be a question so ask Optotronics.

Wish I could be more help.
hak

Last edited:
hak - Those are some very good ideas. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

That's my understanding too, that most of the cheaper lasers have IR filters that aren't very effective and still let a dangerous amount of IR through. That's one of the reasons that I went with Optotronics and paid so much. That, and I figured that it would retain it's value.

I will look into your suggestions as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again for the help, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Razako

I feel your pain. I spent like $1100 on a new blue rpl-30 years ago and now you can get a 1W 445nm laser custom built for less than $200.

IDK if I could even get $400 for the RPL now.