Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

Re: F.S. ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

jayrob said:
[quote author=Robert_M link=1202452073/210#219 date=1206189098]I do have access to a large hammer and acetylene torch if necessary. <g>

Lol!...You are just kidding right? That Sony Optiarc harvest is very easy. You should be able to use a tiny screwdriver to carefully pry the diode out...no hammer's or torches!
Jay
[/quote]

I had also stolen my neighbor's hatchet from the shed out back. Looks like I've got to go back to see if he's got a screwdriver.

Seriously, I lifted the lid, but didn't see an obvious route to the diode. Thought I'd ask, cause everything else in the world of laser pointers is here, documented in minute detail in glorious color. Figured it may help me stay out of trouble.

The head assembly has a metal plate attached with a couple jewlers' screws, but I'm assuming that the diode is on the opposite side of that assembly. The head moves laterally on a couple rods. That seemed a likely way to remove the whole assembly, but they use star ("Torx") heads. I do have star drivers, but from comments here, I figured there's probably a simpler method.

OK, if there are no pics, I'll just start making a pile of tiny screws then! <g>

jayrob

Robert_M said:
Seriously, I lifted the lid, but didn't see an obvious route to the diode. Thought I'd ask, cause everything else in the world of laser pointers is here, documented in minute detail in glorious color. Figured it may help me stay out of trouble.

The head assembly has a metal plate attached with a couple jewlers' screws, but I'm assuming that the diode is on the opposite side of that assembly. The head moves laterally on a couple rods. That seemed a likely way to remove the whole assembly, but they use star ("Torx") heads. I do have star drivers, but from comments here, I figured there's probably a simpler method.

OK, if there are no pics, I'll just start making a pile of tiny screws then! <g>

As soon as you remove the two small screws, and lift the plate off, you will see two diodes. The one with the larger heatsink (upper right), is the I.R. diode. The other (lower right), is the open can. The open can will easily pry out. I like to start from the top (metal plate side), and then give it a little help from the other side, so it comes out straight...
Jay

chido

jayrob said:
P.S. I bought another AixiZ glass lens direct from AixiZ. Tested it and it gave me only 8mW more than an acrylic??
Was this one in a chuck of black plastic or metal? And did you englare the hole at the back of it? (I know you probably did but it never hurts to ask) :p

jayrob

chido said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1202452073/210#223 date=1206244189]P.S. I bought another AixiZ glass lens direct from AixiZ. Tested it and it gave me only 8mW more than an acrylic??
Was this one in a chuck of black plastic or metal? And did you englare the hole at the back of it? (I know you probably did but it never hurts to ask) :p[/quote]

It is metal, similar to the one I got from drlava, except this one has the threads only about half way. Not necessary to try to enlarge the hole at the back on these metal ones. The only thing I can assume, is that the quality control must be pretty bad with the AixiZ glass lenses. I know the AixiZ acrylic are very consistent. The Meredith lenses are very consistent as well. Or, I guess I could have gotten 2 bad ones in a row.
Have you compared the power difference between AixiZ glass and AixiZ acrylic?
Jay

chido

jayrob said:
Or, I guess I could have gotten 2 bad ones in a row...

Now that has to be really bad luck.
confused0024.gif
Now go ahead and buy another one.
evilgrin0039.gif

jayrob

chido said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1202452073/225#227 date=1206248832]Or, I guess I could have gotten 2 bad ones in a row...

Now that has to be really bad luck.
confused0024.gif
Now go ahead and buy another one.
evilgrin0039.gif

[/quote]

amk said that he got a 40mW difference between AixiZ glass and AixiZ acrylic. Have you compared the two?
Jay

chido

No, I don't have any glass lenses, much less a laser power meter. :-[ Why don't you ask DL or Kenom to make a comparison? I know they're both really busy but I don't think doing a comparison would take too long.

jayrob

chido said:
No, I don't have any glass lenses, much less a laser power meter. :-[ Why don't you ask DL or Kenom to make a comparison? I know they're both really busy but I don't think doing a comparison would take too long.

They are both aware that I am interested in other people's findings. I have posted in both of their threads. They did not respond. It's not really that big of a deal. I don't like the way the AixiZ glass lens sticks out about 3/8" anyway. Especially if it doesn't give much more power than the acrylic...
Jay

I ordered 2 aixiz glass straight from aixiz in the beginning of February... still nothing in the mail...

my glass gives me a LOT of a difference (about 40mW) thats why I bought 2 more!

Hi Jay,

Can you please let me know if you have any more of your MXDL heatsinks available right now? Also, do you sell any laser drivers, such as those for blu ray, open can 18x (i.e. 115d), or closed can 16x Sony?

Thanks,
Justin

jayrob

Yes I am still making the heatsinks!
About the drivers, the thing is, I need the threaded aluminum driver mount and round circuit board from the MXDL to make the driver. There is some grinding involved for the red build. And some drilling and fitting involved for the blu-ray build. The drivers take me a little longer to make than the heatsinks! The driver parts are about $10 bucks. So it adds up. I would make you one, but would have to charge you $30 bucks. (which I know it too much) Plus, you would have to send the MXDL threaded aluminum piece with the round circuit board as well. It's just time consuming. I would be happy to give you some direction on how to make the drivers. Or, I do sell complete MXDL lasers:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1204144556/30#42
Jay

I am testing this one guys drivers, (He told me not to disclose name for now), they are fully regulated, reverse polarity protection, spike protection, and it all fits in the aixiz module!! So all the benefits of the DDL, in the aixiz module!

also low dropout, you only need 2V more than the LD's required voltage for input!

I am testing the 38mA and 400mA versions for him. So far: VERY NICE drivers!!

I am using his 38mA in the BLu-ray MXDL.

wait for more info, and if he lets me, I will post a review!

regards,

amk

jayrob

jake21, your heatsink is done! I'll have it in the mail for you on Monday. Let me know how you like it...
Jay

amkdeath said:
I am testing this one guys drivers, (He told me not to disclose name for now), they are fully regulated, reverse polarity protection, spike protection, and it all fits in the aixiz module!! So all the benefits of the DDL, in the aixiz module!

also low dropout, you only need 2V more than the LD's required voltage for input!

I am testing the 38mA and 400mA versions for him. So far: VERY NICE drivers!!

I am using his 38mA in the BLu-ray MXDL.

wait for more info, and if he lets me, I will post a review!

regards,

amk

well, his name is rckstr. look fir the thread in the experiments and mods section.

I actually like the fact that its longer (the glass lens). it allows you to have a focusing ring, and a full range of focus. Its also good for applications like the kenom barrel, where the place the focusing ring is screwed into is surrounded by a wall. look at the pics if you don't know what I mean.

I will be needing another heatsink for a 6v CR123 style MXDL