Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mohgasm Linear Drivers

I gotta say, Moh sure packs everything he ships very well. :)

I finally got my drivers I ordered the other day.
I was wondering why it was taking forever...

Well, this is what I found when the package came:

2011-11-25_13-16-24_605.jpg

USPS took a huge bite out of my envelope!! :eek:

Thank god Moh double wrapped the drivers...they were perfectly fine in their inner bubble envelope. :D

Thanks Moh! I love them. They are way tinier than I expected. :beer:

Last edited:

Jesus, they raped that envelope hard....
I wrap my bubble mailers in those poly bags because the labels stick to them really good and they are VERY hard to rip through. apparently the USPS machines don't find it very difficult lol

Last edited:
a very strange thing happened today. Moh, my batteries finally came, and that was the reason i wasnt getting full power. The driver heated up alot like expected.
But then, after about 10 seconds after i would turn it on each time, the laser would flash like a strobe light. Maybe 5 flashes per second. then after it did this a few times, the diode burnt out...

it was the 1.8a version powering a 1.5-2w 445nm diode from dtr. powered by 2 cr123a batteries.

I'm also having issues with one of these drivers pre-set @ 1.8A
Resistors 1R0 & 2R2 instantly overheat, the 1085 chip however remains cool.
I cant figure out what's causing this, there are no visible shorts & LDs hooked up correctly.
any idea's?

I'm also having issues with one of these drivers pre-set @ 1.8A
Resistors 1R0 & 2R2 instantly overheat, the 1085 chip however remains cool.
I cant figure out what's causing this, there are no visible shorts & LDs hooked up correctly.
any idea's?

Does it get power to the LD? Those resistors are going to get hot. You'll probably going to need to heat sink them.

netwave, can you try something for me real quick? on the picture you sent me you have that black lead going from the "GND" hole and being fed in between the driver and diode through the case pin.
can you completely remove that lead from the case pin and try either soldering the case pin to the LD-, or sending the power through the driver's GND inputs

There has to be a short somewhere, i just want to rule out that black lead as the cause. The entire board have a layer of copper under the mask, which helps with heat sinking, so having that bare solder on the end of your lead rubbing the edges could be causing a problem.
2whr2o9.jpg

p1080878gif.gif

Last edited:
ok I've removed the black wire from the 445s case pin & attached a new wire to the drivers ground, but same problem occurs.

These drivers are awesome! Super small and fun to assemble. I ordered a few more while they're still cheap. :)

I'll probably only offer them in unassembled form here soon.
Soldering the drivers together is part of the fun of building your own laser.

i better order a crap load of them then, I plan on making a whole bunch of lasers and selling them over the summer

when do you think you'll stop selling assembled drivers?
I think i'll need like 20 or something soon, but I'm not 100% sure and i need a week or two to find out.
It would be alot better if they were assembled.