Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mini Green Kit! SCHWEET!

jayrob

This is a really nice little green build in the awesome UltraFire C3 Stainless Steel host! :)

Now, the host has been shown by others, but I have made my own custom modifications and unique design for it to fit a CR2 battery instead of the stock AA size. (machined inside the back end of the host to fit the larger diameter battery)

My personal feeling, is that since it is a unique design, even using a different battery supply, there is no 'copying' here...

But since I have seen LikeitBright using this host, I asked him if it bothered him and he told me that he had no problem at all. Because it is a completely different design.

So the main determining factor, is to be able to get the 'shorter' size modules as shown in my pictures below.

Update: See the information at the bottom of this first post to see how easily a DX module will fit this host! You can get a pretty good powered DX module! And they ship to the U.S. now. They are under 'DIY Parts & Tools':
DealExtreme: $46.81 200mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm)

The host is the Stainless Steel UltraFire C3. DX sku 11133:
DealExtreme: $18.90 UltraFire C3 Stainless Steel Cree P4 LED Flashlight (AA/14500)

My last two O-like 50mW modules were a little shorter than the ones that I got before, so that is what makes this doable. (see the measurements in my pictures)

50mW O-like module: http://o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18

Here are the pictures that show the modifications...

MGK1.jpg

MGK2.jpg

MGK6.jpg

MGK4.jpg

MGK3.jpg

MGK5.jpg

MGK7.jpg

MGK8.jpg

It is a very heavy and solid design with good heatsinking for the module. I have e-mailed Susie to try to find out about the availability of this size module. And if they are also available in 100mW's as well.

This design offers the option of using CR2 primaries, or RCR2 rechargeable batteries.

I am using a CR2 primary and am very happy with the results, so I will not need to push the module with the slightly higher voltage that the rechargeable battery has.

With a CR2 Primary battery:
73mW's right away...
65mW's after 15 seconds,
62mW's at 30 seconds,
61mW's at 45 seconds,
61mW's at 1 minute. :)

Here is is next to my new Key Chain CR2...
Key Chain CR2 kit: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-key-chain-cr2-kit-schweet-42773.html
MGK9.jpg

Got to love it! :D

About the module modification, it is not hard. It is nice if you have a lathe, but if your careful, you can even use a hack saw!

Pricing:

You need to have a module that can be modified and sized between 47mm's and 49mm's to fit this kit. (see picture above)

If we can get these modules, I can do the modifications on the host barrel, tail switch spring, and make the custom heatsink.

The kit would include:

* The Host (machined and modified to fit the CR2 battery)
* The Custom heatsink with set screw. (you will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screw)

* $55 dollars plus $6 dollars shipping.
* Please read my shipping policy here!

The module and battery will not be included in the kit...

Fitting a DX Module...

I finally got my DX 200mW module.

The module is under powered at about 105mW's, but still, it's a nice fit into this great stainless steel host!

Here's how...

MGK10.jpg

MGK11.jpg

MGK12.jpg

MGK13.jpg

MGK14.jpg

The red wire gets cut off, and the black wire gets cut short as well (just leave enough solder there to make contact to the battery negative), and the switch gets by-passed.

Pretty easy! Just make sure your DX module is the same size as shown in the pictures, and let me know when you order the kit so that I can drill the heatsink through at the front, and machine out an AixiZ focus ring for you.

No extra charge for this work if you want this kit! :)

P.S. I have also seen slightly different overall length's of this host...

MGK17.jpg

But it's just a different tail cap and switch. The switch takes up more room in the longer one. It does not have more room inside for a longer module...

Last edited:

DUDE JAY JUST STOP! ahah just kidding....JAY strikes again!..
gettin me one of these soon:)
amazing work!

Gata

Jay you never cease to amaze. Can't wait to get me one of these :)

Im getting one first!!!

You beat me to it J... i had a similiar design in mind. involved sawing the module down as well.

Dark

jayrob

It's a little bit of a pain to machine the barrel to fit the CR2 battery, because it is solid stainless steel.

But it is worth it! This is the perfect little Mini Green host that still has good heatsinking. :)

The stainless steel is really nice! And as you can see, the assembly is cake...
Jay

Last edited:
Hey, Jay.

Cut it out.

I'm only joking. This looks really, REALLY nice. have you tried to polish the host?

dub599

thats an amazing kit.how hard was it to modify the green module to get it to size? any chance of doing the same mod to a 100mw or 150mw or is the 50mw the only one that will fit? sorry im a noob.

jayrob

Love the feedback!...

Th0ughts, I have not tried to polish it, because it is so nice already! But I could imagine that it would really shine up...

dub599, I am waiting for an answer from Susie (O-like) about the availability of these shorter modules in higher power.

The modules that I have been getting in the past are longer, and would not work for this build. But as far as cutting the brass barrel shorter, that is easy on the lathe. It could even be done with a hack saw I suppose. You just have to be careful not to scratch the lens, or move it either...
Jay

dub599

sweet please let me know what susie has to say. im beyond interested in one of these as long as its possible to replicate easily

Great work Jay! Nice to see a green mini host. Especially in stainless.

jayrob

Thanks for the props guys! :)

Yep... Stainless steel!

Not chrome coated brass like your Micro Chrome is bryce007. Which is nice too, but the SS is bad to the bone! This host is very small for a green with a 'click on / click off' switch. As can be seen in my comparison picture. :cool:
Jay

Thanks for the props guys! :)
Not chrome coated brass like your Micro Chrome is bryce007. Which is nice too, but the SS is bad to the bone!
Jay
Yea I know, but it is all I can afford at the moment. But I'll be saving up for this one!

jayrob

I think this design will be a favorite with many! It is really nice...

But the module length is the determining factor. I will let you guys know what's up when I get news from Susie...
Jay

How do you keep getting these ideas? I love this one, looks pretty sleek :D!!

SCHWEEEEEEEEET