Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Maglite 'Stubby' Kit For Large Li-Ion 32600

jayrob

Well you have to balance power vs run time with a hand held flashlight. (IMO)

For me personally, I don't want it overly huge either. That's why I like this 'stubby' set up.

I can put this 220 lumen set up in there for about 5 hours on high, and probably triple that on low!

Or go with the Terra lux emitter at 140 lumens for about 10 or 12 hours run time...

I'm going to put the P7 in a Maglite 2D, and use 32600's for maybe 2 hours run time.

But I like the idea of an SST-50 emitter even better for a short run time blaster...

Sure it can beat the R5 if you REALLY drive it, but with that many amps you could be using a triple R5 with the same runtime.
wink.gif
Put a 3x R5 light next to a P7, both driven at 4.5 amps, and then tell me which one's brighter.
grin.gif
I had actually forgotten about the new XM-L, I've still got to try one...

I have the sudden urge for a Mac Ti EDC Triple XP-G now :na: As for the XM-L I believe Cutters has them for about $11.

Toaster said:
I heard a lot of rumors that the DX flashlights are over estimated in lumens. Especially vs. Surefire. The only non-chinese -fire brand.

Oh and What is the most powerful LED out?

Hey Jay is there any possibility for a Phlatlight (The kind in the projectors) emitter in a handheld? Maybe a different color than red though.

That would be badass.

It's not that they're overrated, it's that they are listing the LED output before losses to the reflector and lens. As for the most powerful LED out, that's the CSM-360-W, it's rated for about 4500 lumens, but it costs about $175 for one, and they require ridiculous amounts of power to run and they're only suggested to be run with active cooling. The Phlatlight LEDs are also very expensive and require a ton of power as well. If you're wanting colors in a flashlight get the Quark RGB, it's about $100 and uses an RGBW MC-E and is quite a nice light and surprisingly bright.

Last edited:
That's looking really great Jay! 4-5 hours for a flashlight that bright and small is awesome. I'll probably be ordering a host next month or in Feb!

I heard a lot of rumors that the DX flashlights are over estimated in lumens. Especially vs. Surefire. The only non-chinese -fire brand.

Depends on the product. All of the "900 lumen" lights are usually about 450 tops. Most of the less powerful ones with the Q5 or R2 are more or less right.

Oh and What is the most powerful LED out?

You can get large 10,000 lumen LEDs if you want, but I'm assuming you mean in a reasonable handheld size... Probably the Luminous SST-90, or at least that's the most popular. Look up the Olight SR90.

I'm going to put the P7 in a Maglite 2D, and use 32600's for maybe 2 hours run time.

You'll probably get more than that, considering a single 2400mAh battery will get you 40-60 minutes. I'd say closer to 3.5 hours!

Prototype- Sorry, what's Cutters?

Last edited:

jayrob

You'll probably get more than that, considering a single 2400mAh battery will get you 40-60 minutes. I'd say closer to 3.5 hours!

That would be sweet for a P7!

Hey check the bottom of the first post for details and current draw for my Q5 mod that I just finished for this little Maglite 'Stubby'... :cool:

Mag%20Stub%2010.jpg

Last edited:
Great little stubby you got there.:D Cant wait to see the P7 in that thing man its going to be Bright.:beer:

jayrob

Thanks!

I'll be putting the P7 into a regular sized Maglite 2 D though...

Because I want 2 X 32600's for that bad boy...

jayrob

I've been reading about the SST-50 with a 5 Amp driver, and an SST-90 with a 9 Amp driver...

So were talking about a huge supply voltage as well. (high current batteries needed)

It's going to depend on the driver and the supply, etc...

But I see adds claiming 1300 lumens with the SST-50. And 2200 lumens with the SST-90.

Here's a guy on CPF that has custom Maglite heatsinks and drivers for the emitters:
SST-50 & SST-90 Mag-Lite Kit

It would end up being a very expensive light. I'm considering it, but I think I like my current lights just fine. Because I like to have some run time. Don't need to start any fires with a flashlight! (I don't know if the SST-50 would start a fire, I'm just saying...)

Hey does anybody know what a mint condition Inova T5 flashlight is worth?

I see them selling on e-bay for $90 bucks.
Inova T5

I have an unused one that I bought and never used. It's in mint condition, not a smudge...

Inova.jpg

Side button forward clicky. Mine's just a single mode one. It was before they came out with the 4 function switching for high, med, low, strobe...

Features of this light:

* Impact-resistant head
* High-powered energy-efficient lifetime LED
* Aerospace-grade aluminum body
* Military-spec anodized finish
* Water-resistant construction

I'd like to get maybe $60 bucks for it...

Last edited:
Here's the SR90: Olight SR90 Intimidator 2200 Lumens SST-90 Flashlight [olightsr90] - $449.95 : Going Gear, Gearing you up for the outdoors

Getting to amounts of light that serious, I'd rather buy a flashlight than DIY one. Welll, excluding mag hotwires.

Australian LED/electronics supplier.

Cutter Electronics

And andersonEE got one from Newark:
CREE|XMLAWT-02-0000-0000T6051|XLamp XML Series LED White | Newark.com

I read up on the XM-L a lot today, which I had previously known nothing about. It looks fantastic! Brighter and more efficient than the P7; I don't see myself ever using a P7 again. I think you should look into it, Jay. Here's a comparison I found: SSC P7 XM-L T6 (XM-L is at 2600mA)

The Q5 mod looks really good, but I'm currently obsessing over the XM-L right now, haha. Q5 is ~240 lumens at 1A, XM-L is 386 lumens at 1A.

Last edited:

jayrob

386 lumens at 1 Amp! Wow that's awesome...

I wonder if it will run with similar voltage drivers as the Q5??

Because if it does,then it would be easy to just swap out my Q5 emitter with the XM-L.

Do you know if that will work? Or do I need a special driver for it with my single Li-Ion set up?

I read that it could be treated the same as an MC-E, so the 3.7-4.2 volts should work. And also, that direct drive is a bad idea with the low Vf.

jayrob

Last edited: