Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fs: Lots of stuff! (Added a Laser 1-2-17)

I have 4 of those 05's (which are not from techhood) as well so if you get better results I may just pull this 06 and replace it with an 05. LMK and thanks for the help! =]

YOU AREN'T THE ONLY ONE! I have been sitting on this build for about a month trying to figure this out myself. I tested using 2 different drivers set at 4.0a and I got almost identical results. I initially thought it was the driver I had purchased so I got a new one (SXD v3 @4.0a) and reassembled everything but ended up with about 80mw less than the previous driver. Sooo i tore it down again and rebuilt (outside the host this time) using 24g wire to see if that helped but again I got a result within 50mw of the previous attempt. The only other thing I figured it could be is the diode and I really didn't want to try and press a decanned NUBM diode out of a module so I just put it up for sale. :undecided:

Techhood is who I got the diode from and everything I've gotten from them thus far has proven legit.

That being said - If you got any ideas I am all ears!

In case you are wondering, all those SXD drivers are not outputting right current when connected to the diode, let me tell you my case:
i ordered a NUBM07E with 4.5A SXD, what i got was a ~3.5A current flowing through diode, and also ~3.5A current draw from the battery.

Yet when tested alone with multimeter it clearly has a short-circuit current of about 4.5A.
then guess what?
there is two thing might have happened:
  1. DTR gave me wrong driver (3.5A instead of 4.5A) but the fact that it gives I short-circuit of 4.5A determined that DTR gave me the right driver.
  2. We cannot rely on the pre-setting of driver, because every diode will have different on-resistance, making the current flows differently for each diode. (unless whoever sells it adjust the current when diode is turned on, but this can be risky of course)

Another thing is that on the DTR page, he tested the diode using a direct adjustable PSU that will monitor its true current through diode.

Last edited:
So it just boils down to different resistances on the diode then, completely makes sense and kinda what I had a feeling was going on. Thanks for confirming this Astra!

Reactions: GSS