Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Kryton Groove (bare) 150mw/300mw 405nm/660nm

BluRay

Re: FS: Kryton Groove (bare) 150mw Bluray *sold*

They are??? i thought the Rkcstr requires more power to power up the driver and diode, and the Groove or Micro driver doesnt need high power to drive them.

I will be wanting to drive a red open can 20x diode at about 400mA
But guess what?? it wont fit into the Kryton head, the diode is just a tad bigger. :'(

Tommy

daguin

BluRay said:
They are??? i thought the Rkcstr requires more power to power up the driver and diode, and the Groove or Micro driver doesnt need high power to drive them.
I will be wanting to drive a red open can 20x diode at about 400mA
But guess what?? it wont fit into the Kryton head,  the diode is just a tad bigger.  :'(
Tommy

The Rkcstr needs 2.2V.  The red diode needs 3V.  So to run a red laser with a Rkcstr you need over 5.2V.  Two CR123's will give you over 6V.  The rkcstr needs higher voltage than this if powering a 405nm diode.  405nm diodes need 5V all by themselves.

The 20X diode should fit fine in a Kryton.  All of the main diodes we use here are 5.6mm in diameter.  The Kryton requires (as well it should) that the diode be "pressed" into the hole.  If it won't fit, your Kryton has a problem (not likely).

Peace,
dave

BluRay

Thats strange, i tried it 3 times using the back end of the aixiz case to push it in using a vice. You can see that it is slightly bigger, the diode i mean.
I use a caliper 2morrow and meassure the hole and the diameter of the diode.

daguin

BluRay said:
Thats strange, i tried it 3 times using the back end of the aixiz case to push it in using a vice. You can see that it is slightly bigger, the diode i mean.
I use a caliper 2morrow and meassure the hole and the diameter of the diode.

Is this one of the ones that had "thread" problems?  I wonder if something else caused the hole (actually a recess) to be smaller?  It wouldn't actually make sense for the hole to be smaller.  The aluminum was "machined" with the same tool as rest of the barrels.  If you truly cannot get the diode to set onto the recess, you can "open" the recess a bit with sandpaper.  If the hole gets enlarged too much, you can hold the diode in place with some thermal epoxy.

Peace,
dave

Kenom

On traditional open can's out of sony' drives, I typically find that they are just a millionth of a mm larger in diameter hence the need to put a bevel on the edge of the pocket for fitting into it.  I use a 1/2 ton arbor press and it goes RIGHT IN.  As a matter of fact I did one last night.  Although it doesn't center very well into the pocket without that bevel.

It needs to be tight. As long as it doesn't damage the die on the laser diode or misalighn it, the better the fit, the better the thermal transfer as those microfine spaces between the two peices of metal will be fused together. Make sure you use thermal transfer compound/grease.

DSC00058-2.jpg

BluRay

So it will fit, just have to force it in really hard? yeah it looks just a fraction bigger and its really hard to centre. thanks i will give it ago again later.
It's my 1st open can build i didnt want to damage the die or accidently touch the 2 fine wires connecting to the die.

Tommy

Kenom

by making the bevel, it actually centers it much better allowing for a nice smooth insertion. On and we all know that in insertion you need lubricant. That's where the thermal grease comes in.....

Nasty dirty minded old/young men...................

BluRay

LOL KEN.
OH yes, and another. i went to build it today and when i got up to putting it all together i forgot theres nothing on the diode end where the driver fits in to make contact with the + battery on the top. can i get some suggestions as how you would go about putting either a spring and somthing to hold it in place idea from anyone?

Tommy

BluRay

thanks for the picture Ken

Tommy

Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between the bare and groove barrel, and where i can buy one..........

Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between the bare and groove barrel, and where i can buy one..........

Kenom

The bare is just a unanodized groove barrel.  The only place to buy them now that the run is complete is to buy a fully assembled laser from me or someone else.

On the other hand, the smooth Kryton doesn't have any grooves. Its' mostly for easthetics.

BluRay

Deleware good question!!! LOL you know i posted up a thread looking to buy one, and how long it took before i got one?? i did have people offering them, but they wanted like $140 US dollars for them, which is abit far fech. Although they might be worth more, but trying to sell someone for nearly x3 the amount only because you see an opertunity that someone really wants it is "Low" in my opinon.

Tommy

daguin

BluRay said:
Deleware good question!!! LOL you know i posted up a thread looking to buy one, and how long it took before i got one?? i did have people offering them, but they wanted like $140 US dollars for them, which is abit far fech. Although they might be worth more, but trying to sell someone for nearly x3 the amount only because you see an opertunity that someone really wants it is "Low" in my opinon.
Tommy

Do some research about "supply vs. demand." Things are worth exactly the amount people are willing to pay for them. Apparently, the original Kryton is not worth $140 YET. As they become more rare (by disappearing into private collections, etc.) the price will climb. They are true quality in a world of "good enough."

Peace,
dave

BluRay

Thats the thing, only if people are willing. Trying to make a big bucks from somone in need of somthing is not right. Fair enough if they want to profit from it. But wanting too much for it will make people just not buy it full stop.
Yes they are getting rare, but the chance to get one is not impossible, and im sure Kenom will do another group buy somwhere down the line. For $140 i might aswell pay another $60 an buy one complete laser from Kenom :eek:

Wanting something is different from Needing something.

Tommy