Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Key Chain CR2 Build Kit! - SCHWEET!

jayrob

Re: FS: Key Chain CR2 Kit! - SCHWEET!

Using the silicone tail caps instead of an o-ring because they are thinner?

That could probably work too...

I think you will like the 'glue on' method for this tiny build Igor. It just makes the EzFocus adapter into a larger AixiZ focus ring that can unscrew if you wanted to put the lens into a different host...
Jay

IgorT

I understand, i know it'll work just fine, i'll just need to figure out which lens to fit it for first.

I just thought i'd mention the other possibility, which DarkHorse came up with. He also thought he would eventually use o-rings, but i made several lasers with focusing adaptors held by nothing but open-top tailcaps, and they worked great. They would adjust themselves automatically to whatever distance from the lens was required, and give the focusing a little extra tightness - their bottom rim would get squeezed between the focusing adaptor and the heatsink, and stabilize the lens wobble...

A tiny host such as this might not allow for the rim of the tailcap to be used, but it should still work just as nicelly. Similar to your EZ-Focus adaptor for the Kryton..

I will attest, this host is the BOMB!!! i have an 8x in mine!

It's sick!

Awsome job again Jay,

Tyler

jayrob

Thanks man! :thanks:

Glad you like it! :)
Jay

I think its my destiny not to have a blu ray I just got the 405-G-1 lens and it was awesome the dot is so small then just like that the next time I turn it on its a LED so I freaked out and thought it was the battery at first praying that it wasn't the diode even with a fresh battery its still a LED. I literally didnt get to see the beam thought the 405-G-1 lens for more than 30 seconds I have spent $120 this month on diodes that have died within 2 weeks :( one died in less than a day. Im so frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal?

Justin

jayrob

Bummer man...

Have you considered Dark's build service? Almost free!

You said you had 'flickering'...

If there is some 'shorts' in the connections, the diode could die instantly. Especially if the short is between the diode and the driver.

If a GGW 6X is built properly, I would think it would last a long time at 190mA's. I have several at that power range. But I also have a habit of using a 1 minute duty cycle.
Jay

Well I went over the build and found where there could have potentially been a short between the positive going to the diode and the case negative. But if that shorts there would that affect the diode. Any ways I put a PHR in the cr2 build and man the 405 lens makes it POWERFUL! And I made sure To fully insulated the flex drive this time and went over the solder points and made sure thy are solid, and it seems to be working fine so far. But there is like fuzz around the dot from the lens is that normal.

I cant wait te get more money so I can buy another GGW.

Build service sounds great but I want to do it myself to further my experience and knowledge. :)

Thanks Jay

Justin

jayrob

Glad you got it going with the PHR! :)

'Fuzz around the dot'? It sounds like maybe the same phenomenon that most experience with blu-ray. Our eyes don't focus very well with 405nm. It is near ultra violet. Have you looked at the dot with proper eye protection?

Or, you are talking about the 'side splash' that is there with the 405-G-1 glass lens. Yes, it has some 'reflection look' off to one side, you only notice it if you are trying to look at the dot at close distance. Meredith glass lenses will give a similar 'splash'. It never bothered me personally...

About the connection, if your 'short' was on the supply side of the driver, no problem to the diode. It's just like turning the laser off and on.

But if the 'short' is between the diode and driver, even for a split second, the driver capacitor charges and then discharges a higher voltage into the diode that will kill it.
Jay

Last edited:

Oh man... that will be SCHWEET!

I don't know if you can get a smaller 8X build with the current needed/battery needed...

I think you will have a record there!
Jay
And Jayrob does it again!
Stop it man! You're taking all my money :p

jayrob

Sorry... (kind of) :crackup:

You won't believe this little beauty Spyder!

KCR212.jpg

KCR214.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Jay

Yeah the fuzz Im talking about sounds like side splash There is like just and haze kinda on one side of the dot can you put some kind of aperture with a hole in the middle so it will block the side splash? Also the focusing ring is really tight I cannot unscrew it with my fingers is that normal I want to see how its all put together also so I can clean it.

And yeah it looks like the positive going from the driver to the diode touched the case and shorted out and thats probably what killed the GGW I had :(

Thanks,
Justin

jayrob

Yeah the fuzz Im talking about sounds like side splash There is like just and haze kinda on one side of the dot can you put some kind of aperture with a hole in the middle so it will block the side splash? Also the focusing ring is really tight I cannot unscrew it with my fingers is that normal I want to see how its all put together also so I can clean it.

And yeah it looks like the positive going from the driver to the diode touched the case and shorted out and thats probably what killed the GGW I had

Thanks,
Justin

There has been some discussion about using a washer type of aperture size reduction installation, but I have never messed with it.

The focus ring is just hand tight, but I do put them on pretty tight because I don't want the focus ring to come loose from just use...

Try it with a rag for better grip!
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

I see..

So it doesn't just stick on the focusing nut like the Kryton Groove EZ-Focus adaptor you sent me?

Hmm, i'll have to think about this a bit... Or maybe order the adaptor later...

I personally don't have an EzFocus adapter with this host Igor...

Because I can easily focus it without burning my fingers. Plus, I like to have a dust cap on there to keep the 405-G-1 glass lens nice and clean. :)

I've just put a GGW 6X in at 188mA's. It is giving 236mW's. (405-G-1)

Battery current draw - 340mA's (800mAh CR2 rechargeable)

KCR216.jpg

Jay

Last edited:

Must say that is an awsome build Jay.

I like the pill. How many are in the bone yard all twisted up or with a hole in the wall? I know I would have a few.

-SightFX

jayrob

:thanks:

No mistakes yet, but I've only made 4 or 5 of them...

I'm surprised that more are not interested in this kit! Maybe the 'tightness' of the assembly scares some off??

But as long as you use fine flexible wire, such as the wire strands found inside a mouse cord, then it is not a problem. It is well worth the effort. A sweet little build...
Jay

This build REALLY isnt that tight... It DOES have plenty of room for a sideways flexdrive set at an andle, and 30guage wire "the thin modchip wire" I had a little room to spare, I even had the Luxury of using FAT electrical tape, intstead of thinner clear tape so it fits better... I wrapped myne with electrical and it fit fine ^_^

got another 8x in mine finaly! another S03 8x diode though "my 203 is on order"

280mA = 379mW after 405-G1 according to my friends scientech.

Dont be scared by the size of this host people, it IS possible, and not dangerous realy, just be gentle, and use a "cold" iron, meaning not a 45watt soldering iron. 15watts will do nicely.

Just my opinion on the difficulty of the build :)

Tyler - Dark Lasers