Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Chrome BR Laser 80.00 sold

This penlight BR was sold as a 160ma (read Jakes first post). I thought that was a good deal ($80) so I paid right away. Jake of course couldn't ship right away though for one reason or another. Several members warned me about him BEFORE I bought it. Maybe I should have listened. :-/

I got it finally and it didn't burn nearly as well as my flashlight BR build (Kai laser). I checked the current at the tail cap and it's only 120ma, WTF I said to myself, no wonder it doesn't burn as well. Anyway he epoxied it together so it couldn't be easily taken apart. There's really only one way to get a module out of a host when it is epoxied in! You have to use some reasonable force. All I wanted to do was turn it back up to where it was supposed to be (as advertised). I think I ended up pulling the neg pin from the diode when I removed the module from the host. Now I have a dead laser.

I PM Jake and he states he'll send a diode for $5. OK great. I offer to pay the $5 AND pay shipping BOTH WAYS for him to fix it to the way I thought I was getting when I purchased the laser (160ma). He said he "was too busy building other lasers to sell". Don't start on -803T diodes not being able to handle that current, some can and some can't. I have a Kai laser that is set at 167ma and has been working for a LONG time now. I was willing to take a chance on a pen style BR running 160ma.

Now, how does this seem like "blackmail" like Jake has stated? I don't see it. I wasn't even going to post this story unless he didn't follow through in fixing it the right way and I pay to have it fixed. All I see is I didn't get what I paid for. If I had I wouldn't have opened it till the diode gave up, then if I broke the diode while removing it wouldn't matter.

There, that's my side of the story. I'm done for now and will be sending Jake this back.

Well, PHRs should die pretty quick at 160ma, you must have a lucky diode, there really shouldnt be much of a mw difference between 125ma and 160ma, mabye you got a crap efficiency diode, i think he was just trying to protect the diode, and you are used to a high efficiency diode at 160ma and it didnt meet your expectations and you ripped the pad... You open the module, its null and void for most warranties, im surprised your other BR hasn't spontaneously combusted yet, if it heats up quick like he said you would have one hell of a duty cycle any way :-/ :-/ :-/ Also, if no warrenty is stated or implied he is not obligated to fix it for free.

My 0.02.
Day

jake21

well said day..... i only turned it down so it can last longer... i only used a tiny bit of epoxy on the top so the module does not pop out  ::) and if u was that pissed why not ask me to turn it back up for u when u checked that it was 120ma and just mailed it back ?

[highlight]
Several members warned me about him BEFORE I bought it. Maybe I should have listened[/highlight]

so there is no problem with my laser only that u ripped it apart right....

was it working when it got sent out yes
was it working when u got it yes.............. so i see no problem with my laser i sold u

but like i stated ill fix it so your happy u just pay for the parts needed

i just want u to say that my laser was in working order when u got it and that it was not junk

You're both wrong.

Jake, Having customers you should have told him you had to set it at 120ma, as it was overheating. By not saying so its not really professional.... Until he find out everything was nice.

Sportcoupe, you shouldn't have taken it apart and asked him, why it doenst burn as well as your other. Im pretty sure jake would have told you if you asked.

- I think jake is really nice for replacing it, at a low price.

-Greg

Who's both wrong?

If he had told the buyer that @ 160ma it would have killed the diode in 2 hours that would have been a "favor" ...

he , Jake, doesnt owe anyone an explanation on the buyers "choice of ma" = fu ck up..

he should have sent it @ 160ma , and let the buyer cry later...

ive learned from these forums that some people will help you and let you know whats going on..

and  other times your on your own..

the hand holding can only go so far..

i still cant solder a joint , so i buy the whole thing or not at all..

stop crying and take resposibility ..

Day said:
Also, if no warrenty is stated or implied he is not obligated to fix it for free.

My 0.02.
Day

I never, never asked for him to fix it for free. I offered to pay shipping BOTH WAYS and buy the new diode too. Now he is refusing to work with me at all. Bottom line, don't buy from Jake21 he isn't to be trusted.

Arenared said:
he should have sent it @ 160ma , and let the buyer cry later...

That's all I wanted. he should have left it as he described in this thread. If it died oh well, I'd replace the diode later. I didn't get what I paid for and he kept it a secret, that's why I'm mad.

sportcoupe said:
[quote author=Day link=1238551067/0#17 date=1239582108]Also, if no warrenty is stated or implied he is not obligated to fix it for free.

My 0.02.
Day

I never, never asked for him to fix it for free. I offered to pay shipping BOTH WAYS and buy the new diode too. Now he is refusing to work with me at all. Bottom line, don't buy from Jake21 he isn't to be trusted.[/quote]
Great, now i have to pay more than 0.02 :-/ /from what hes said, hes offered to fix it, at cost, which is good because it doesnt include labor, just end it, fix it, and be done with it, and express your opinions, but ive sold/bought from jake and everythings went well.

jake21

ill refund your money Day ;D its all good im just waiting on his package and have it fixed at 160 ma :)

i just wanted people to know that the laser was working and not damaged/broke :(