Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS 488 solid state

Hey everyone, I've got an old Chromelase from bluesky sitting around I forgot about. Gonna sell it. :)

asking $500

It's reaching the end of it's lifespan I think, but still outputs plenty of light. it's rated 20 and depending on whether you want power or beam profile you can get anywhere from 5-17 or so milliwatts from it IIRC instead of 20. Still very stable though, and if anything a compact fun little almost portable laser. runs on 5VDC and is a nice simple little thing electronically. Diode is a fiber coupled 980 that is doubled. no heatsink required :D

PM if interested. sorry I don't have any pictures, but I can send them on request via email. It's a cute little thing! might be fun for someone to play around with.

Update: OK! so I pulled it back out today and It stays pretty stable up to about 17mW (0.425V on the control box). After that if drifts as the diode can't keep up. the beam is an ellipse at it's present temp. adjusting the internal doubler temp will probably improve it, but then it will suffer in the power department. Heat sinking isn't needed, but recommended for better long term stability. requires 5VDC (had to correct myself and check before hooking it up). Beautiful 488nm color. The profile is clean but the output mirror has wings at this temperature setting, but they're minor and don't affect anything. for maximum life i'd run it 15mW or less (.376V on the box) max output constant current is around 18mW.

I usually run it about 10mW for comfort and the best general stability (0.259V on the box).

I simply use a 5V Traco power supply with low noise and high efficiency. power draw isn't super high-maybe a couple amps, I didn't measure it, but I know it's not much. I can try tuning the temp for better beam at request, at the expense of power if that's your thing. I remember fiddling with it and getting the wings to go away but the power wasn't great IIRC. overall it's a great laser, but definitely getting to be on the tired side and needs to be petted, but it begs to be adored :) I will include the free run plug/key and the DB9 cable and the box and all that jazz. also comes with the original paperwork and box and everything! doesn't get any more complete than that :tinfoil:

Pics:
9sf12dGl.jpg

zhcUZqEl.jpg

WALzHELm.jpg

Last edited:

I can't afford it as the moment, but you calling it a cute little thing makes me wanna see pics :crackup:

Actually I’m surprised how many people are. So let me just say publicly so I don’t have to write 1,000,000,000 emails. Posted this last night really late and made myself a new image host, so ill post stuff later. And 500$ is very little for something like this ;)

Stay tuned :)

Very nice little laser, Matt. A little out of my budget though. Too bad you stated it is long on hours and short on expected life. I am a fan of the color of 488nm and hope you have better luck soon.

Very nice little laser, Matt. A little out of my budget though. Too bad you stated it is long on hours and short on expected life. I am a fan of the color of 488nm and hope you have better luck soon.

That's what I think, but I'm not positive. it may just not be perfectly aligned too. it's hard to know without taking it apart further, but that'd make realignment really difficult and not worth the risk. and even if it's high hours, it likely will still last hundreds if not thousands more. likely still longer than any of our hand made stuff. The pictures really don't do it justice.

The photos are very nice. And it is such a small unit to get what my boat anchor argon does.

That's what I think, but I'm not positive. it may just not be perfectly aligned too. it's hard to know without taking it apart further, but that'd make realignment really difficult and not worth the risk. and even if it's high hours, it likely will still last hundreds if not thousands more. likely still longer than any of our hand made stuff. The pictures really don't do it justice.

Thanks for not replying to my good luck Matt! :mad: I no longer wish you good luck! :( :(

-Alex

Last edited:
I do hope someone does...I really need the money :( my lab driver is dead, amongst other things, like needing new tires for my car. I'm gonna need to do a big sale or something at this rate.

and I'm sorry Alex, the comment was appreciated, even if it wasn't spoken.

Last edited: