Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 18650 Build Kit! Easy Assembly! 445nm, Blu-ray, or Red...

Re: FS: 18650 Build Kit! Easy Assembly! Blu-ray or Red...

This looks tasty! PM sent. :D

jayrob

I sent your 18650 kit with 'Hot' option set at 350mA's today, with your Meredith Glass lens fit for Sure module today. (Tuesday)

Please post back here when you check out this new host! :)

Thanks!

I just received it today, I'll build it tomorrow and be back with pictures.

Jay's 18650 Build Kit - observations

Ordering & Shipping:
Just sent him a PM, then a Paypal, and if it weren't for Columbus Day I would have had it in my hands in 2 days. Jay is the fastest guy in this hobby (it may help that I'm only one state away). Communication was great both before and after the sale.
Assembly:
The instructions were both complete and accurate. The host was a great choice, it had a lot of room to work in.
Performance:
I chose a GGW (6x) diode driven at 186ma. It will pop a balloon from 10 feet away, I guess that's adequate...

You can tell I'm a real JayRob kit fan. I think you can't go wrong with this kit.

YouTube - 10 Foot Ballon Pop

jayrob

Thanks for posting back with the props! :)

You guys can see from the pictures that this is a sweet host. I'm sure it will become very popular once the word gets out!

Hey another feather in the oh so worthy jayrob's hat! I got to talk to cold, I keep trying to give rep where rep is due, and those few so totally worthy like jayrob, I always get that damned message and can't rep atm! What, I can't be trusted with rep w/o limits cold? LOL! Everyone Jay deserves a lot more rep! You guys rep him while I can't! And also thanks for the great and upgradable donations to the raffle! -Glenn

Jayrob

This cant use 2 Cr123's with a rkcstr ?

2cr123's are about the same size as one 18650..

jayrob

Your too good to me Glenn! :thanks:

Slipstream, yes, if you were to drill out the top of the 'pill', where the emitter is mounted, then you would make more room inside the host, and would be able to fit a rkcstr driver.

And then use 2 X RCR123 rechargeable for a red build. You could just use some plastic from a Pepsi bottle (rolled), to make a sleeve so your batteries would not 'rattle'...

Not if it's designed for AAs. AA lithiums are 14500, appx. 14mm x 50mm, vs an 18650, 18mm x 65mm.

ohh crap your right.. lol sorry my bad.. great job nonetheless... :beer:

Besides, even if you want to use a rckstr driver, just get 2 CR123s. Might be a little loose, but if you're not shaking much, shouldn't be too noticable. If you plan to use a FlexDrive, an 18650 should give you at least a few hours, even for a red at really high currents.

jayrob

I would sell the heatsink only for the same as most of my other heatsinks...

$23 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping. But I would rather sell the host/heatsink combo, simply because with this design, the tolerance for the fit is very close. It's the length of the top (widest) part of the heatsink that has a tight tolerance. So that the retaining ring of the host will hold it solid, but not have a gap between the retaining ring and the host.

I have noticed that the hosts are not all perfect in this area. (I'm talking about a tiny difference, like plus or minus 4 or 5 thousandth's of an inch)

So...I bought one of these 18650 kits and built my wife a laser.

I put it together, soldered in the diode. Screwed the head on...

I did NOT want to give her the laser. It's that tasty! 18650 power supply, massive heatsink, smooth rear reverse clicky. The flexdrive set to 350mA resulted in a solid 273mW with a LCC diode after the Meredith glass lens.

So far, the host hasn't even got warm even after running it a few minutes at a time.

I will be posting a more detailed review with pics later. My wife needed to make it a little more "girlie". But she is enjoying her first laser.

Jayrob keeps the hits coming!

jayrob

Thanks for posting back! :thanks:

It is a nice host and I'm sure it will be popular once more people try it!

Looking forward to your review! :cool: