Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

From G2 to a three-element glass lens

gozert

Hey guys,

I purchased a 2.2W 445nm laser from Sci-Fi lasers a couple months ago and it uses a G2 lens. After doing some searches I found out that the light square around my dot is caused by this lens? Could anyone explain to me if a three-element glass lens will be capable of making the dot clear, without any ugly wings of light squares around it?

I've done several searches on the forum but I couldn't find what I was exactly looking for, which is why I made this thread.

If pictures are wanted, I'll post them as soon as I get home.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

z3v0.jpg
Are you talking about the square at middle? The G2 lens does not cause that, but 3 element lens would have a shorter "line" than a G2

Last edited:

gozert

Are you talking about the square at middle? The G2 lens does not cause that, but 3 element lens would have a shorter "line" than a G2

If you're referring to the huge dim square that's under the dot, then yes. That's what I mean. I remember that my 445nm didn't have the square the first few days of use, and suddenly it was there. Is there anything that causes it, and can it somehow be removed?

Pman

Just get 3 element lenses for all your units that look like that. Buy it with a G-2 to save money on them and then order a 3 element with your builds. Cheapest way to go in my opinion. Have changed almost all of mine that need it to 3 elements for looks. Can't stand the spill anymore. Easy enough to swap lenses anytime;)

DTR

Yea the box shape is the reflection off the dye. Promise it was always there you may not have noticed it right away but it is always there with any of the single element high pass lenses. If you go to a three element lens a lot of the splash is removed but there is still a little stray light. The only downside it the power reduction of about 25% with the 445nm diodes. Check out this old lens comparison thread from Jayrob.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-lens-comparisons-51456.html

This thread also has some good info.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/there-something-wrong-my-beam-spot-59400.html

G-1/2/9/China G
445%20lens%202.jpg

Three element(Aixiz) Glass
445%20lens%203.jpg

gozert

Yea the box shape is the reflection off the dye. Promise it was always there you may not have noticed it right away but it is always there with any of the single element high pass lenses. If you go to a three element lens a lot of the splash is removed but there is still a little stray light. The only downside it the power reduction of about 25% with the 445nm diodes. Check out this old lens comparison thread from Jayrob.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-lens-comparisons-51456.html

This thread also has some good info.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/there-something-wrong-my-beam-spot-59400.html

G-1/2/9/China G
445%20lens%202.jpg

Three element(Aixiz) Glass
445%20lens%203.jpg

Thanks for the explanation! I must have not noticed the square in the beginning then, since Eitan from Sci-Fi lasers also told me that it should've been there from the beginning. Still considering a three element lens even though it would drop in power. I'm not much of a burner, and I think the difference in brightness isn't going to be that much considering it's already over 2W.

I'll check those threads for sure!

Nute

There should be no difference in brightness. I prefer 3 element myself.

I don't like the splash either.
Can I use the 3 element that came with my sci-fi 445nm in my 900mW 405nm laser?
Or will it damage the diode overtime due to reflections?
Sorry for asking in this thread but can't seem to find an answer to this

Last edited:
I don't like the splash either.
Can I use the 3 element that came with my sci-fi 445nm in my 900mW 405nm laser?
Or will it damage the diode overtime due to reflections?
Sorry for asking in this thread but can't seem to find an answer to this

Yes you can, they would both use the same lens with the same AR coating.

Alan

Great. Thank you Pi. I didn't want to take any chances due to the sensitive nature of the diode :)