Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fried my new Sci fi laser...

So i got my awaited scifi 445 laser. 1.6w, opened it up, got my batteries, two 16340's and stuck them in the way id been used to doing with my arctic, positive to the butt.
screwed on the click cap, and gave it a click. *sizzle*
never even got to see her shine.... unaware of what id done at the time, i thought id inserted them correctly.
First thing i did was email joker, and he told me id fried the module.
Then i take a look at the website to see it written, Positive side first, clearly in several places.
Im ashamed of myself. Ive waited over a month to receive this laser and i couldn't wait a little longer to confirm the correct way to insert the batteries.

Joker is replacing my module, which i could not be more thankful for.
This was complete ignorance and user error, but out of the kindness of his heart he's helping me out!

Mistakes happen, but this was stupidity.
K6rw2CQ.jpg

If joker is sending me a whole new module, does that mean that the diode and all is fried? is there a chance the diode is still functional and i could buy a driver myself in attempt to fix it?
I asked joker but i suppose he's signed off for the night.
He may be upset with me, Im sorry Eitan :cryyy:

Last edited:

If it makes you feel better, pretty much everyone who's owned custom lights or lasers has killed at least one this way... it's an unpleasant right of passage.

Very nice of Joker to help you out. :beer:

If it makes you feel better, pretty much everyone who's owned custom lights or lasers has killed at least one this way... it's an unpleasant right of passage.

Very nice of Joker to help you out. :beer:
It's still wearing off. Im very thankful, and I plan to place another order with joker later down the road. I'm really liking the look of that 520nm arcane.
I hope this makes him feel a little better about helping me out, i would like to return my business. If I'm financially able

Traditionally with flashlights, positive goes towards the light, or arperture in this case.
I don't have an excuse. I really and truly don't.
It was out of the package for maybe 5 minutes before I fried it.

Like I'm a laughing stock of the forums now.
"Fried a laser in less than 5"

Last edited:
Well that's a bummer :(
With the lasers I am used to *most* of them are negative end of the battery towards the spring. Several are the other way around though sooooooooo .... tip of the day = always read the users manual/on-line instructions before you lock and load!! :)

From 2000mw to heaven in less than 5 that's a world record in my book. All jokes aside sorryvfor your loss.

Don't feel bad. I was using an old drill as a host, was wiring up a trigger and batteries and a series connector. I got in too much of a rush and soldered the switch to the diode instead of the driver... yeah 8.4v to a diode. I was in a rush and excited just like you. That realization that you know you just messed up right at the exact moment it is too late.

Ouch!!!! you deep fried the diode... What does fried diode smells like? Seriously just wondering....

Don't feel bad. I was using an old drill as a host, was wiring up a trigger and batteries and a series connector. I got in too much of a rush and soldered the switch to the diode instead of the driver... yeah 8.4v to a diode. I was in a rush and excited just like you. That realization that you know you just messed up right at the exact moment it is too late.
😫 Ahhhhh man.
Well back to my question, do you think my diode is fried?

Well that's a bummer :(
With the lasers I am used to *most* of them are negative end of the battery towards the spring. Several are the other way around though sooooooooo .... tip of the day = always read the users manual/on-line instructions before you lock and load!! :)
This laser happens to have two springs in it. One on the cap and one on the driver. I guess I had a 50/50 chance.
nothing I can do about it now. But wait for replacement module and do it right

I did the same thing to my first high power blue. Except I had owned mine for 6 months already. Best I can say, its a learning experience.

Might want to stick a label somewhere to remind you which way the batteries go. :)

I did the same thing to my first high power blue. Except I had owned mine for 6 months already. Best I can say, its a learning experience.

Might want to stick a label somewhere to remind you which way the batteries go. :)

You guys really do make me feel better❤️

Excuse me for my ignorance and having not posted in the welcome section yet.. Getting to it.

But placing a standard diode on the (-) side to the driver stop this from happening? They do make a 3amp diode that is fairly cheap.

I color the inside of my tail caps so I know what it is if I forget.

�� Ahhhhh man.
Well back to my question, do you think my diode is fried?

I fried a 3W 445 doing this. It was only the driver that got fried. That and the battery contact got a little burnt from the driver essentially exploding! Not to say that the diode in yours isn't damaged. Just not in my case.

You could easy get a driver form DTR and fix it, I know Eitan is going to take care of you, but if you wanted to get it going fast you could.

You can test the diode with a single 3.7 battery, it won't draw enough to hurt it's self even at 4.2 volts, but you must get polarity right on the diode and avoid static.

Heck, you have a nice heat sink, if Eithan is sending you another module?
If that's what he is doing you could fix that one even if it needs a diode, you can get a diode and driver module from DTR and just connect 2 wires, but are you sending any of it back to Eithan or what's the deal, I don't want to get in the way here.

Last edited:
You could easy get a driver form DTR and fix it, I know Eitan is going to take care of you, but if you wanted to get it going fast you could.

You can test the diode with a single 3.7 battery, it won't draw enough to hurt it's self even at 4.2 volts, but you must get polarity right on the diode and avoid static.

Heck, you have a nice heat sink, if Eithan is sending you another module?
If that's what he is doing you could fix that one even if it needs a diode, you can get a diode and driver module from DTR and just connect 2 wires, but are you sending any of it back to Eithan or what's the deal, I don't want to get in the way here.
He told me he would replace the module, and asked that when I got it to put it in, and put the batteries in correctly.
if so, I think it's amazing that with just a driver I could potentially have spare laser module. What amperage driver would I need, The 1.8a correct?
Overall I love it. I love the way it feels, the pocket clip, and its size in comparison to the Arctic spyderIII.

Last edited: