Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free Spectra-Physics 125 + Power Supply - Livingston, NJ.

diachi

There's a free Spectra-Physics 125 up for grabs in Livingston, NJ if you haul it out. Described as operational, although it was last checked 15 years ago. These HeNes age well so there's still a decent chance it's working just fine. Owner says it's going to the dump next week if no one takes it. It'd be an awful shame to see such a gorgeous laser go to waste.

Head is 6' long, longer with the etalon attachment.

Picture attached for reference.

For more details you can contact Bob Hess. Contact details on his website: https://sites.google.com/site/vintagelaserarchive/

Attachments

• sp125b.jpg
    sp125b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, please someone get it. Don’t want to see a laser like that to end up in a dump.

diachi

Wow, please someone get it. Don’t want to see a laser like that to end up in a dump.

Feelers out in multiple places for a potential taker. Seems to be a couple people so far that are interested, so fingers crossed!

I would jump all over that if I was closer. I'd love to own one.

If I remember right though, its a hard seal and probably be very difficult to get lazing again. But even a chance and its worth it.

diachi

If I remember right though, its a hard seal and probably be very difficult to get lazing again. But even a chance and its worth it.

Hard seal as in the mirrors are glued to the plasma tube? If so, that's not correct, the mirrors are both adjustable and changeable. Cavity extension/etalon wouldn't be an option if it was a hard seal tube. Plus, I read the brochure.

Hard seal as in the mirrors are glued to the plasma tube? If so, that's not correct, the mirrors are both adjustable and changeable. Cavity extension/etalon wouldn't be an option if it was a hard seal tube. Plus, I read the brochure.

OK maybe I'm wrong on the type of seal, but I thought Sam told me that the 125s seals were more sensitive to not being used over time, because of the type of seal and would degas over time unlike newer HeNe lasers. But, I possibly remember it wrong.

diachi

That's great. Too bad I don't live near by.
Isn't the 125 a soft seal laser?

Yup, apparently they are mostly all soft seal. Source of the offer said they age well though, so might be fine. Even if it's not, that's still a nice piece to have even in an un-lazing state.

This is coming from Bob Hess, right? I have talked with him......a very knowledgeable person.

Yeah, they're soft seal, but they are fairly robust overall, most of the ones i've seen that are still in service work fine. might need a little cleaning though. I'd give it a good home if I was close enough to pick it up. I have no place to put it though, nor do I have any way to transport this monstrosity. these things are huge. over 6' long and weigh like 104 lbs or something. Arguably the largest commercial HeNe ever made. They were the price of a few nice cars at the time they were made.

I do have the transportation and the space to keep it. Unfortunately, it is on the other side of the country from me. :(