Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Freak GGW 6X diode has passed away.

Hey guys.

You remember that 6x GGW build I made a while ago? You have link in my signature I think, in short I bought a GGW diode from Dave and it was mega epic wavelenght, so bright that it appeared as visible as ~400mW of 405nm (it appeared only a little brighter than Rob's 8x).

Well... The diode passed away. I'd guess there's an expiration date on those things.

Anyhow, I took a snapshot of the diode's emission profile when focused into white paper from 40 cm away:
P2110252.jpg

This is the center of the emission:
P2110253.jpg

Here you can see the bonding wires to the die and the base of the emitter:
P2110258.jpg

Well, here's the diode:
P2110260.jpg

Just for the sake of keeping the host from collecting dust, I made a quick reddie for it:
P2110263.jpg

P2110266.jpg

P2110267.jpg

And the picture I promised danafex, of my worktable mess:
P2110268.jpg

Well that's about it. Careful with those GGWs guys, this one was running at 190 mA and still didn't live up to it's first birthday.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

P.S. Yeah I guess this is more of a vent off thread. Sorry guys. That was my favourite laser.
DSC00924.jpg

I rember when my first 6x died it was runnung at 180ma for many months.

Sorry to see a good 6x pass. Nice to see the host hosting red photons. :yh:

I'm fortunate to still have my GGW. At just 160mA, I hope it lives a long, successful life.

RIP Eudaimonium's GGW. Good to know you surpassed that and put a reddie in there.

Thanks guys.

Hey, you who say that had GGW die also, do you remember it's emission profile? Did you take any pictures, so that we can compare (just to see if what I have is normal)?

Oh and about red photons, well it's just temporal solution, I plan on putting a 12x in there (legacy, you know), this is just until I manage to rake some money together.

^then give me that diode for my pen, lol ;)
about the ggw.. I don't think any diode has that profile.. does it was emitting >40mW so you could burn with lens?

^then give me that diode for my pen, lol ;)
about the ggw.. I don't think any diode has that profile.. does it was emitting >40mW so you could burn with lens?
40mW? Hah, it does not lase at all, man! It's dead. LED alike faint emission, which when focused gives image as photographed above.

^
then I don't think there is any reason to compare with another ggw, it is not lasing..

"(just to see if what I have is normal)" ;)

I don't think you understand.

I wanted for pictures of dead diode profiles to compare to my dead diode profile.

Look at the pictures above, in main post. See where it says "emission profile"?

mehra

so saaaad bro. well life and death are a sequence of time, and time never stops. red one looks good.