Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fog machines and smoke detectors

Ive done a little research and jsut found out that fog machines set off most smoke detectors.(am i wrong). im about to buy a fog machine and i was just curious what you guys do about this? my house is somewhat new so theres a smoke detector in each room :mad:

i usually disconnect mine when i am going to fog my room as it will set the detector off, if you wanted something a bit easier you could probably get like the lid from a CDR container and stick it over top of the smoke detector

ill just disconnect the battery i guess. seems easy enough. i could do it all int he bathroom but thats no fun.

A damp rag over the smoke detector will catch most of the fog and avoid setting it off.
If you live in the US and your house is new, taking the battery out won't disable it. The battery is just a backup.

C

Chris.

Or how about, you replace the speaker with an LD! That way, when the fog machine sets it off, you would get a nice pulsed light show ;D

Yes, they do set off smoke detectors. I was recently using one in one of the buildings here at the University of Texas at Dallas and set off the detector. What I didn't know is that the detector sets off the fire alarms for the entire building. After evacuating, the UTD fire brigade comes 5 minutes later - a single university policeman with a fire extinguisher. Good thing there wasn't a real fire!

Ha, funny you should bring this one up, I work at seaworld and we were trying to make a fog wall to project some video onto for Journey to Atlantis, after about 5 minutes of fog, the fire alarm went off and it emergency stopped the ride.. good times, we got many dirty looks that day, lol.

Things

Yep, fog machines will set of almost every type of detector there is, ecxept for the sprinkler ones, they use heat to set off. Since i am a dj, well sort anyway, i use a hazer, which is alot different to a fog machine, and doesn't set off ny smoke detectors, apart from the optical ones, which are rare anyways :)

ixfd64

pseudonomen137 said:
Yes, they do set off smoke detectors. I was recently using one in one of the buildings here at the University of Texas at Dallas and set off the detector. What I didn't know is that the detector sets off the fire alarms for the entire building. After evacuating, the UTD fire brigade comes 5 minutes later - a single university policeman with a fire extinguisher. Good thing there wasn't a real fire!

BUSTED!

Hazer is essentially a fogger with a turbo fan on the front. The effect being it spreads the particles out more and so, they hang longer.
Also they take more concentrated/ different juice to foggers.
Hazer = better for lasers because it better allows the reflected light back to your eyes.